V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...FNG here. Just bought my first HD today. 2006 1200 Sportster Custom in Vivid Black. Only thing I had the dealer install is a sissy bar. I promised my wife a sissy bar...small price to pay for her approval.

Didn't have a very good experience with the dealers. Finally found a sales guy that actually seemed to want to sell a bike. Only two places to buy a HD here in Louisville, KY and they know it.

I was going to get the dealer to lower the front end but decided not to after I realized that they were trying to screw me over. The front end kit is only $189 but they wanted to charge me $399 for labor to install. I asked them how long it was going to take to install it and they said two hours. I asked them how much they charge per hour and they said $55. I tried to explain that the labor charges just didn't add up but they wouldn't budge so I told them to forget it.

I'll get another dealer or a friend to just help do it.

Not trying to start off with a bitch session. Beautiful bike...its been 10 years since I rode a bike and even then I didn't have a lot of experience. Looking forward to putting some miles on the new bike.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Just bought my first HD today. 2006 1200 Sportster Custom in Vivid Black. Only thing I had the dealer install is a sissy bar. I promised my wife a sissy bar...small price to pay for her approval.
Congratulations on your new ride. My wife insisted on the same. As to labor, in my neck of the woods it's $60 per hour.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have paid the $55 per hour...but 2 hours of work at $55 per hour doesn't equal $399. The total wasn't $399 just the labor.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!! I have to think you got the best of both worlds with a rubber mount Sporty and I'm sure your wife will appreciate the sissy bar. That little bit of security made mine a much happier passenger!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
"techs"

The extra money wuz to make sure all critical fastners and bolts are torqued to specs by the so called "Techs" !!!!! (Garbage collectors are called 'sanitation engineers' now).:roflback:

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:welcome: to the fourm. Congrats on the new sporty. :thumbsup: Invest the money on tools and do the work yourself. You will have more pride in what you ride.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok guys...new question. I've done some reading and went back 55 pages and read most posts in the sportster forum.

I saw some suggestions for the '04 but not the '06. I'm looking to lower my bike 1" atleast. Is it possible to get 2" off a stock '06 xl1200c?

The other things I'm looking for are suggestions on what seat to buy that will be low in the saddle and still be comfortable for me and a rider. I'm 5'8" but only have a 28" inseam...looking to not strech to get flat footed. Also looking for suggestions on good leather saddlebags. Are all HD leather products made in Asia? I'd rather have some US made if possible. I know not all the parts on my bike are made in the US but I'd like to keep it as American as possible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

~
Semper Fi

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Is there that big of a difference between the 04 and 06? I don't think so. What may work for the 04 should work for the 06.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
KY23 said:
Ok guys...new question. I've done some reading and went back 55 pages and read most posts in the sportster forum.

I saw some suggestions for the '04 but not the '06. I'm looking to lower my bike 1" atleast. Is it possible to get 2" off a stock '06 xl1200c?
Welcome to the forum. I'm up in Northern Ky. You mentioned that your wife rides with you. From what I've seen (and experienced on my own bikes) if you lower your bike, the ride becomes very harsh for a passenger. If she rides with you a lot, you might want to take that into consideration. Also, go back to the dealer and buy the service manual for your bike. It'll save you a fortune in the long run.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JamieWG,

Thanks for the info. I've heard that from several other people. We are going to just ride it as is and see how we like it before making any changes. Actually I took my wife to the dealer to show her the bike I bought last night...she wants her own 883 roadster now. I promised to either giver her this 1200c or buy her an 883 roadster next spring.

I want to do some riding on the 1200c before I decide if I want a bigger bike or stick with the sporster. I think I'm going to like the sportster...I'm a small guy anyway, 5'8" 180 lbs with a 28 inch inseam. I think the 1200c will fit me just fine for now.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well...bike is home. Wife on bike and brother in-law in background.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Xl1200c 06

Bought mine new about 3 months ago, after about 8 yrs out of it. Last bike was Kawasaki Concours, a battleship of a bike for sure.
The 1200 has great handling for local and city, big enough for some highway riding, decent 2 up,.......basically a blast to ride. No regrets so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts