V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come it is when someone new posts a question or wants to sell something there are those who immediately tell them to introduce themselves? This is the friggin internet for crying out loud not an ice cream social. Just something that has bugged me.....:flames: :flames: flame away.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Ya, I am kinda so-so on this too. I rarely look at the introductin forum, anyways.

I don't have to much a problem, with a guy just jumping in the conversation.

I think some people should work up to there excitement levels though.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
When someone takes the time to introduce themselves, they usually won't spam us and we can catch them faster if they intend to do so.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
It seems to me that admonishment to 'introduce yourself' is typically used in one of two situations: 1.) the new poster bangs down the door to start ranting about something or 2.) They come in to ask a question (what's the best seat or pipe or whatever) but their post contains no info at all as to what kind of bike they ride or how they ride,etc. Anyone wishing to be helpful first has to try figure out the missing info. An introductory post would probably provide this.
Whether its tact or facts, in each case, something's missing.
I imagine the vast majority do not provide an intro post, but they don't start their tenure here either of those ways...they just sort of blend in.
Thats what I did.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
route66paul said:
When someone takes the time to introduce themselves, they usually won't spam us and we can catch them faster if they intend to do so.

I think the "spammers" make themselves obvious VERY quickly. I didn't post an intro, and don't read others. I can recall a few times where I've seen someone jump on a newbie, it was uncalled for.

·
Momma's boy
339 Posts
Welcome to the V-TwinFORUM. The purpose of this forum is to "formally" introduce yourself to other members. Please tell us about your first motorcycle, first riding experiences, hobbies, interests, etc. etc. You must post in here first before you can post in any other forums.

:dunno:

·
<><
3,971 Posts
I missed the intro part right at first. Maybe 10-12 posts into the deal I discovered it and introduced myself.

The only objection I have is when someone rudely tells a first-timer to hit the intro first.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Mag-it said:
Welcome to the V-TwinFORUM. The purpose of this forum is to "formally" introduce yourself to other members. Please tell us about your first motorcycle, first riding experiences, hobbies, interests, etc. etc. You must post in here first before you can post in any other forums.

:dunno:
This is strictly an attempt to curb spammers. Personally, I don't care whether someone introduces themselves or not (although it IS the polite thing to do). The forum administrator has tried to make it harder for spammers to post in the VTF. This way, at least they can only post in one forum and it is easier to seek and destroy them. It's not a perfect system. But, neither is life.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
It's called common courtesy. Something that is severely lacking in the internet world...

·
Momma's boy
339 Posts
YankeeBob said:
This is strictly an attempt to curb spammers. Personally, I don't care whether someone introduces themselves or not (although it IS the polite thing to do). The forum administrator has tried to make it harder for spammers to post in the VTF. This way, at least they can only post in one forum and it is easier to seek and destroy them. It's not a perfect system. But, neither is life.
Maybe I should have put more than the little smiley.
What I meant was, The reason you need to introduce yourself (op question) is because it's one of the ''rules''. Pretty simple

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mag-it said:
What I meant was, The reason you need to introduce yourself (op question) is because it's one of the ''rules''. Pretty simple

Bikers and Rules???? You sure do want a lot dont ya? :hmmm: :hmmm: i dont think so :harhar: :harhar: :xhere:

·
Administrator
11,239 Posts
Mag-it said:
Actually the part you quoted in bold is brand new. It was introduced within the last couple of days. Since this was implemented, any NEW users can not post in any forum until at least one post in made in the "My Story..." introduction forum. This was put in place for the reason Yankeebob mentioned.

There will likely be more changes coming to try to stop the spammers. As well as forum upgrades and possibly added features. The admin has stated this will take some time but they are working on it.

·
Banned
711 Posts
springer- said:
Actually the part you quoted in bold is brand new. It was introduced within the last couple of days.
I am glad you wrote that because I never remembered seeing that when I joined. :hmmm:

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I don't remember what my first post was but it wasn't an introduction. I don't think I've ever read that forum. If someone has good info and can take some razzing then hopefully they'll stick around and we'll find out who they are over time.

·
Noch ein bier, bitte
1,537 Posts
hdmarsh77 said:
I don't remember what my first post was but it wasn't an introduction. I don't think I've ever read that forum. If someone has good info and can take some razzing then hopefully they'll stick around and we'll find out who they are over time.

Hmmmmm. Me neither. Sorry for being such an ignornat ass-hat. Ooops!
:bowdwn:

·
HOGDOG
906 Posts
Shaw_2112 said:
It's called common courtesy. Something that is severely lacking in the internet world...
@gree: How about leaving off the "internet" and just leave it at "world"?

:wavey:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts