V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a '00 Buell X1 for myself and a '00 Blast for the wife last week. She has been hounding me about a bike for a long time, but she is just too small. Talked to a coworker who recently picked up a Road Glide when his wife traded her '00 Blast for a big bike and talked us into going and looking at it. It took my wife about 5 minutes to let me know we were going to leave without it. While there, I fell in love with the Lightning (#373 of 800) and decided that I would gor for that one for myself. I had already tried out a couple of others in the shop, but they are just to big for me and I really just couldn't get comfortable. I had absolutely no interest in riding something other then what was built here in the states.

My wife laid it down twice in two days, and my wallet isn't happy about it. Fortunately for us the only damage is a left turn signal, right turn signal lense, and the flytrap mount bracket got bent up. I am looking forward to her taking that class next week, and am glad we walked out with only a $3000 bike too

For myself, I have only ever done dirt bikes, so this is a new world to me. Some day I will have the balls to hit full throttle on this bike, but until then, god damn is it fast!

Something about a crotch rocket that sounds like a Harley, no whine from this bike:D

My other hobbies are in my sig.

pics:
http://209.120.142.41/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1466

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Welcome sidewalk. Be careful on the new bikes man. Get your wife in that class as soon as you can.....it may thickin that wallet in the long run and could prevent a serious mis-hap. Thanks for joining us and I hope that you keep us posted with your riding experiences and good times. See if you can get your wife to join us too.

Later,

FifthGear

·
Premium Member
2,334 Posts
Welcome aboard, Sidewalk! Keep that wife of yours off the bike until the class! And, if you have never taken the class, take it with her! Especially since you've only been on dirt bikes! It's different being on the road with all the crazy people in cages! Also, you will get a discount on your insurance.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm already ahead of you, I have a course scheduled for next Tuesday. It is normally a 2-3 month wait for a course, but I opted for the private instruction for $60 an hour, $90 when I jump in. It should go buy faster then the normal class because we both can ride, so the intruction on basic laws, controls and riding can be skipped. The intructor will only need to go over the stuff with us to make sure we are cool on it, and then move on to tactics; controlling skids and such. After doing the math I found that it won't cost much more then the normal class ($200 each here), but there is the benefit of private instruction.

She isn't much for forums, but I'll let her know about the place.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Got my confirmation today on the MSF course here in Central Mass. I'm scheduled for June 24 & 25 (wtf) for two, 9 hour days, ugh! Tried to get an earlier class (for two) with Mrs Jones but she balked and when I tried for a another date, it was allready gone. Glad that others are also taking the course, but it sucks on a "learners permit" around here. I guess I just have to wait it out. Can't ride after dark, no passengers and worse, can't leave the state. Hell, I'm within 20 miles of Conneticut, Rhode Island and New Hampshire, 50 miles from Vermont, 75 miles from Maine and 100 miles from New York! Not to say that I have'nt traveled out of state! Just would feel better with an official license, especially when Mrs Jones rides with me!:D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Welcome aboard Sidewalk. I'm glad your taking a course too, the best thing in my opinion. When I took mine the local college offered it for free, but it was very hard to get into I called early in the season and took the course in April, I remember it so well because we had terrible weather cold and rainy. Our classes were 2 days a week for 2 weeks. We were in the class room on Wednesdays and on the bikes all day Saturdays.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sidewalk said:
It took my wife about 5 minutes to let me know we were going to leave without it.
Oops, meant to say that we WERE NOT going to leave without it.

And now I am in the dog house for embaressing her, I just can't win:rolleyes: :D

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Hey sidewalk, embarresing our wives are what we men do best.....and it comes natural. We have to have a women's input to keep us straight every now and then. I see that your wife has registered...that's so cool. So, you're covered for staying in line. LOL. I have to rely on inside help for me to stay in line...my wife knows it's an impossible job after trying for years so she gave up trying. Hell, she don't even get embarresed any more.:D

Later,

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Welcome aboard,Sidewalk!

Happy to hear both you & your wife are o.k.& taking a safety course.

Lookin' forward to your posts.
guido

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finished the first day of that safety course today. Learned more then I thought I would. Definitely worth the money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts