V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
hearitage 04 vivid black
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my riding buddies and i get into arguments about interstate riding all the time. they think to drive the speed limit and cause all kinds of bottle necking behind them is the way to go. i think to go with the traffic and stay out of trouble is the way to go. we went on a little trip one time . it was on a busy interstate. i was the leader and i went with the flow of traffic . i was out in front of them along ways and they insisted on going the speed limit . they caused a huge bottle neck behind them and almost caused a big wreck .then we stopped at a gas station and they were blaming the people in the cars and i told them if they went with the flow it wouldnt have happened. so the next time we went on the interstate i stayed back with them and i was actually scared there was cars , trucks, and 18 wheelers stacking up behind us and were racing to get around us . so when it was clear i passed my buddies and got out of there and went with the flow of traffic and felt alot better riding. am i wrong on this i would like to know thanks

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Part of the reason why I ride alone^rolleyez^
Some people are uncomfortable riding highways(I am one of them)
Just dont like it anymore..must be gettin old:spank:

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Here is the deal.
If you move with the flow of traffic, you have less to kill you. Fewer cars come up behind you, less to kill you. You can see those around you and get a feel how others are driving and move to another crowd if you do not like them, less to kill you.
You go faster than trucks, truck tires, and truck size make them deadly.
I usually go a little faster than traffic, so I am in control of the passing and what cars I am around.
If you ride the speed limit, everybody is passing you and pissed at you, not a good thing on a mororcycle.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
LittleBear said:
Here is the deal.
If you move with the flow of traffic, you have less to kill you. Fewer cars come up behind you, less to kill you. You can see those around you and get a feel how others are driving and move to another crowd if you do not like them, less to kill you.
I usually go a little faster than traffic, so I am in control of the passing and what cars I am around.
If you ride the speed limit, everybody is passing you and pissed at you, not a good thing on a mororcycle.
We'd get along even better.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Alot of other folk probly will think I am ridin' like crap, but this is what I do...

When on the Interstate, whether in town or out, I do my best to not ride with the groups of cagers. I just pass em up, find my own spot that's not crowded, and slow back down to the "flow". If I catch up to another group, I repeat!

I personally love to ride the interstate. Everyone is going the same direction, no one is going to run a stop sign, and no will turn out in front of me from an intersection. I just gotta find my own piece of the road. :brows:

·
RAMOD
458 Posts
LittleBear said:
Here is the deal.
Agreed.... 100%.

And I agree with Gray, we'd get along well.

Allen

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Speaking as an ol' retired Trooper, go with the flow. A bike is the most vulnerable vehicle out there and to intentionally bottleneck and irritate a bunch of other cars and trucks is truly ignorant riding. On interstates, flow is the operative word. Conflict (in the case of interstates, mostly speed/distance conflicts) between vehicles is what causes crashes. Reduce the conflict.

T113

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm on the interstate for at least 2 hours daily. As stated above, go with the flow. 10-over is about the standard here in MN. Pass and find open spots.

Also beware when traveling in the passing lane with a long group of vehicles. There's gonna be some guy stuck in the slow lane just wanting to get out. If he can't see you he's gonna think there's an open spot and turn in quickly after the vehicle in front of you passes by his. I've ridden the rumble strips on the left shoulder because of this more than once. This is one of the reasons I installed my dual air horns.

Around Sturgis season I see dozens of group riders on their way to the neigboring state. There's nearly always a pile of autos stuck behind them. If you've ever ridden in a goup you know it's IMPOSSIBLE for the group to stay at a constant speed within. When the leader is running the speed limit the group is doing the accordion, dropping way below at times.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm with LittleBear on this....I like the idea of setting my own pace and not having it dictated by someone else...on most expressways doing the speed limit is a good recipe to becoming someone's speed bump.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
LittleBear said:
Here is the deal.
I couldn't agree more. I try to stay ahead of the pack by a few MPH.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I'd rather see what I'm coming up on so I have control of the situation, not what is coming up behind me that I may not be able to avoid. I ride with the flow and them some. When I lived in CA and traveled on 10 lane hwys, I pick the fastest moving lane, which was usually the HOV. Now in SD you have to watch for the farmer doing 55 in the passing lane loaded down with 100 gallons of water.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I Hate harley riders who insist on doing the speed limit no matter what.
They are no better than the Q-tips who bottle up traffic. It's extremely unsafe to do that around here. You are correct and your friends are accidents waiting to happen.Stay away from them,or just meet em at your destination.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
i would love to ride at our below the speed limit to be able to see the countryside, however, i want to arrive alive.
interstates are for getting from A to B in the least amount of time and no hassle navigation.rural roads are the way to enjoy our sport.
group rides do not work and will get you dead on a two lane rural road, so that leaves the freeway for groups.
if in a long group riding the speed limit, you are causing road rage from the non riders piling up behind you and once they get the balls to go around, they will either pass with aggression, or pass slowly, causing others to have to weave both lanes to get through the blockage.
cool is for fools========

·
hearitage 04 vivid black
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the response . i thought i was right on this . it just didnt feel right having all these cars and trucks passing like they do. one time they wouldnt let me lead for the rest of the day because i was going over the speed limit . one time a few of them told me they are actually alittle scared to ride on the interstates. but me i like it i feel alittle free out there. i told my wife one time if i could i could ride forever on the interstates . thanks again:cheers:

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
Those ninnies have reason to be afraid, of their own stupidity. If they don't understand something this basic, how many other dangerous riding habits do they have?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Back roads I relax and enjoy the view. Ride nice and easy and take it all in. I get on the highway, especially here in Charlotte, I drive like I stole it and the troopers are shooting at me. I try and stay in the HOV lanes and I find the speed, sometimes very excessive speed, allows me to pick and choose my spots away from the cars and trucks.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I am a firm believer that the throttle is as much a part of defensive motorcycle riding as the brake. If I have to go 100 mph to quickly get past a cager who may move over into me, so be it. I hope any LEO who may become involved is a rider themselves.

A wise old rider also once asked me which lane on a multi-lane expressway was the safest. I wasn't sure what he meant until he told me the correct one was the passing lane. His reasoning was that YOU control the speed, and he was right!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts