V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an electrical issue yesterday, and then the problem mysteriously went away -here's what happened: I road it to work and the bike ran fine. Went out at lunch for a ride, but it was completely dead (no lights - no ignition... nothing). The battery is only 2 years old, but checked it anyway with a volt meter and it read 12.6ish Volts. I checked the key switch cable contacts with meter and they were also working fine. When turning the key switch I could hear some sort of contact noise (I'm not an electrical guy, but I'm guessing that the sound was the relay switching). However, after many tries, still none of the lights or ignition turned on.
After switching the key off and on another 5 or 6 more times, the lights eventually turned on. Started it up and it ran fine. ...hmm

I'm guessing that I probably have an intermittent connection somewhere downstream of my relay (assuming that was the relay I was hearing earlier). What do you guys think?
It's an 02 Dyna.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Sounds like a dirty ign switch. Had the same thing happen on my Road King. ;) I took mine apart and cleaned it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts