V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of an intercom that 2 people on different bikes can use to speak to each other? Specifically one that doesn't require a helmet.

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
CB or two way radio is about the best you will get. As for the intercom without a headset - Hand jestures and screaming works better. You still need a microphone with some sort of noise cancelling.

Ever talk to someone walking with a cellphone? Add 70MPH to that wind.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been wanting to know how well those "throat mic's" work. They pick up the vibrations right from your throat so they say there is no wind noise. Anyone have any peronal experience with those?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Cory said:
I've been wanting to know how well those "throat mic's" work. They pick up the vibrations right from your throat so they say there is no wind noise. Anyone have any peronal experience with those?
I have never used one but I did see a demonstration at a cycle show once and they work verry well but are a bit more money too.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've looked into this extensively and I haven't found anything that works. I also saw the ones they demo at rallys and bought one. I didn't work on the road. The volume wasn't high enough when not wearing a fullface helmet. The throat mikes are better than anything else, but on most the earpieces are too noisy. I am currently working with a setup that works with my cell phone and as soon as I get the bugs out, I will try an FRS two-way with VOX. My OL wears a helmet and can hear me fine but even after having a custom mold done I still have problem hearing her. It's still a work in progress.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
What about the ones that hook to your helmet with the antenne?

I understand he's looking for something without using a helmet, but do these work?

I saw a demo on tv about the ones that work on the throat, no, wait a minute, I think I was watching Black Sheep Squadron.

·
Registered
174 Posts
kevdog said:
Does anyone know of an intercom that 2 people on different bikes can use to speak to each other? Specifically one that doesn't require a helmet.
http://www.collett.mb.ca/ I have the Platinum 900 with passanger intercom
and they work great but the wife and I use Modular or full face helmets. Not sure how they work getting full wind blast.
They also have a Headset you mount the communicator on to use with no helmet but might look a little strange. also would not be cheap, communicator plus headset would be in the range of $230 each. but it's something.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
UNless you can figure out a way to cancel the wind noise, forget it. I have tried dozens of different headsets with dozens of different ear attachments. Nothing works at speed except a full or 3/4 helmet which can cancel most of the wind noise. Still its iffy at high speeds.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have the throat mic from clearer communications. It works fine. The problem is I can't hear the other person in the earbud over the wind noise. I'm looking for a better earbud, but haven't found one suitable yet.

The tough part is the push to talk. The wire keeps getting blown by the wind and wraps around me. I haven't tried voice activated on the FRS radio yet. Not sure if I even have that feature.

What I really want is to get the throat mic tied into the Ultra CB so I can use the speakers and built in PTT on the bike and the throat mic with it. I spent way to many hours trying to make it work, and came to the conclusion that HD either has some weird resistance requirements, or mine has a bad circuit for the mic. I haven't had the guts to ask someone if I could take a chance on breaking hteir mic to test my bike's radio.

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Thanks for the thread and the info everyone. I was wondering about this a couple weeks ago when my husband and I were merging in traffic and he almost got taken out by a van who saw ME but didn't see HIM in front of me because the van was tailgating the guy in front of him. Van started pulling into the right lane to pass just as my husband was finishing his merge and positioning himself near the centerline - they must've gotten within about 2 feet of each other. Scared the crap out of me! :yikes: If we'd had an intercom I could've warned him...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts