V-Twin Forum banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
107", JE pistons, 10.75 cr, S&S 640, ported heads, 1.98 int, 1.61 ex, 54mm TB, 4.9 inj.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Exhaust 215 and intake 305 , both ported
Oh ok.
I didn't like the performance from my heads last summer so they're off and is why I want to know so much about velocity speed. Mine are at 275 @ 28 right now....they should be more....but I dont want to take more out and lose velocity where its needed.
I haven't ran the exhaust port on the bench yet. But that 305 is sweet!
What size valves are those?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Tis CNC and hand ported head is exactly what you mentioned, 1.98 X 1.61. See the flow results. It also is 80cc, has had ACRs added, chamber is CNC milled, and intake face corrected. See the photo of the flow numbers. Come on down to Seattle and I will test your heads and we can compare.
Dimples :ROFLMAO:
Don do you need new inlet seats for inlet for that size as its near enough to 2" if lm reading right at 1.98. Also is that your CNC work

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Wow, Don thanks for the invite to come out and see ya!
I am so surprised you are so defensive over a hobbyist in their backyard shop!
Did you not work for Baisley?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
To see if his big arse wind tunnel could beat mine?
I would hope as a professional Porter his would? LOL
After all, all I own is an old Sioux!
Somewhere between Reynolds numbers, boundary layers, and the venturi effect the power has to hit the ground..
That is the results I look for .
The truth is what the engine will put out, not what a windbag will push.

·
Registered
402 Posts
To see if his big arse wind tunnel could beat mine?
I would hope as a professional Porter his would? LOL
After all, all I own is an old Sioux!
Somewhere between Reynolds numbers, boundary layers, and the venturi effect the power has to hit the ground..
That is the results I look for .
The truth is what the engine will put out, not what a windbag will push.
Your getting 100 hp at 5000 rpm from a 80cu evo so you must be doing somthing right Troqed.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Actually, I do try hard. ....many many things.
For those that do not know dimples have some genuine attributes and that's the next step.
It would be more EZ to get power way upstairs @ higher RPM, , but the goal was a usable touring engine with Baker Overdrive in the little itty bitty 80-inch engine.
Not 125 inch or larger chunk.
This engine would put out a lot more power with a different cam in it . .
But again that would be just for dyno bragging rites and serve no useful purpose in real life.
What we need here in the old V twin is variable cam timing and event configuration.
I thought S&S was going to get it done with their EZ start cams, but they quit at that!
Ya just cants have a fast wing and a slow wing, without changing the configuration, it is all a compromise.
Bernoulli and other big words all come into the action of ports or wings, only on a miniature scale.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Actually, I do try hard. ....many many things.
For those that do not know dimples have some genuine attributes and that's the next step.
It would be more EZ to get power way upstairs @ higher RPM, , but the goal was a usable touring engine with Baker Overdrive in the little itty bitty 80-inch engine.
Not 125 inch or larger chunk.
This engine would put out a lot more power with a different cam in it . .
But again that would be just for dyno bragging rites and serve no useful purpose in real life.
What we need here in the old V twin is variable cam timing and event configuration.
I thought S&S was going to get it done with their EZ start cams, but they quit at that!
Ya just cants have a fast wing and a slow wing, without changing the configuration, it is all a compromise.
Bernoulli and other big words all come into the action of ports or wings, only on a miniature scale.
Bernoulli Princaple ( spells wrong but i hear ya)

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Oh ok.
I didn't like the performance from my heads last summer so they're off and is why I want to know so much about velocity speed. Mine are at 275 @ 28 right now....they should be more....but I dont want to take more out and lose velocity where its needed.
I haven't ran the exhaust port on the bench yet. But that 305 is sweet!
What size valves are those?
My reply and invite was to you because you are in BC Canada not that far away.
I am not defensive nor afraid of anyone! Why would I extend an invite?
I am not associated with Baisley nor have I worked there. I do have a lot of respect for him and do use his shop for some sublet work.
The intake seats are replaced for sure to run a 1.98" valve
Those heads were CNC ported then I fine tuned them with hand ported using the flow bench to verify my changes.

Early on I had a huge fear of killing velocity but a few times I got bit hard by not understanding the demand part of the equation. Cubic inches changes demand, the major factor, there are more. There is a proper CSA range for ports based on demand to achieve optimal velocity. Valve sizes and that decision is part of the whole package, port geometry, based on demand and physical restraints plus what the starting canvas (head casting) is. This is not covered or explained by a youtube video or 5 of them or sound bites from forums. Like I said before get too much out of that window and it will be a pig and difficult to tune either with too much or too little air speed. Open the barn door too much and you get a lot (high cfm) of slow flow, so how big is the door and the door opening and how far should it be opened?
My overarching advice is to know the methods and math behind the decisions and use them or employ software to get there. Now there is no guesswork.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Don,
Thnx for the invite, truly.
Esp if it was a friendly rib jabbing gesture.
As a professional Porter, i don't think you have to be too concerned about little old me !
Your equipment is far superior to what I have built.
IDK where you got my location as I am not too far from the Atlantic Ocean.
Kind of a drive? .
Albeit I used to live in the Seatac area and knew every street and business from there to portland.
I am already at 1.25 to one with street-friendly power for my little EVO, even more, if I let the RPMs run-up.
IDK where it would have stopped horsepower-wise.
I saw no point in it , as the only contest in, was with myself.
Still am.
IDC what the flow is, but what the power is at the rear wheel.
You, being a professional porter should say congregates!
That's damn good for a backyard project! LOL
Perhaps throw me a bone or a hint for my next round other than adding RPM.
Do you have a hint or idea that you would share?
I figure 5500 is far enough up the scale for my touring bike . Any touring Harley engine for that matter.
As i have said-
My goal is near as 1.50 per cube as I can, turning on as near as possible @ the 3K RPM mark.
Not a dyno specific built weapon,, as that would be worthless. But one with about a 20K TBO. I think that is reasonable?
I have the big stem valves in there and did not know I can use the little guys until it was too late.
How much will that help? I think they are Twinks that will fit with of course different guides?
This is why i am exploring the dimpling scenario for another little bit more.
But,.. there is a LOT to it .
Scale, placement etc , not just random craters.
I am sure you know about them?
what ya think?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I was talking to Street.sweeper as his profile says BC canada location
The dimples are done by some CNC houses and in my opinion are much more cost without verified results. I have not tried them but in my opinion there is a lot more low hanging fruit to be had, the basics, that will get the job done with value added. Consider that these dimples are not used by NASCAR or the OEMs including exotics and if they were so effective why not. I would expect a slight improvement in airflow only.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
OH,, nice of you to invite him!

Every gain is in increments now, I have no chunks left.
More Compression is out the window as there is no gas for it .
So now I am looking into the cracks of knowledge and where things have not gone B4
I was hoping for a clue from you?
And no artificial crap like a shot of this or that with some special injectors, as that is just not real, to me.

Anyone that has gone much past 1.25 AT usable rpm , I would be interested if you are willing to share some of your tricks?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I support some drag race bikes that are getting past 1.25 for sure. One in particular is a 103 evo with STD heads. That engine has no oiling system and is greased before each run. There are possibilities with Fatso combinations too. After about 1.25 (not a hard line) special care and feeding becomes a necessity however. They are just getting somewhat non-streetable on pump gas.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
For me, i will keep working on it,
It is my mountain to climb.
My personal challenge.
I have 4 really good ideas without going boosted.
The smaller stems should do something, thats one.
Two-
three -
and
four -
??

·
Registered
107", JE pistons, 10.75 cr, S&S 640, ported heads, 1.98 int, 1.61 ex, 54mm TB, 4.9 inj.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Don do you need new inlet seats for inlet for that size as its near enough to 2" if lm reading right at 1.98. Also is that your CNC work
I believe and I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong. A stock intake seat work up to 1.9 then you need a larger seat installed.
I was talking to Street.sweeper as his profile says BC canada location
The dimples are done by some CNC houses and in my opinion are much more cost without verified results. I have not tried them but in my opinion there is a lot more low hanging fruit to be had, the basics, that will get the job done with value added. Consider that these dimples are not used by NASCAR or the OEMs including exotics and if they were so effective why not. I would expect a slight improvement in airflow only.
That would be a cool road trip Don, but I haven't been across that line since I was 17....lol Not by choice. I may be able to now though, just haven't tried.....It's something I was going to try this Summer on the bike. There's lots to see down South so I'm hoping that run works out.
I live in Peachland which is in the Okanagan Lake area about 1.5 hrs up from the border near Oroville.
I'm hoping I'll have the first heads corrections and velocity figured out by the end of the weekend, then my porter will match the other. Once we're done on the flow bench I'll post the sheet for you guys to see....hopefully its worth looking at...lol

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Do you get to ride Cascade Hiway>??
That is one of the nicest in the country!
Being I am already at 1.25 per cube I have to start looking somewhere else to reach my goal.
I will even grasp at that low-hanging fruit!

41 - 60 of 100 Posts