V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the easiest way to make sure my intake is matching up with the intake ports in my cylinder heads? I was thinking about using Dykem on the gaskets, mounting the intake, removing the intake, then measuring the appropriate distance from the mark left on the head. The I started to think about how much the intake would be moving around as I was installing it. The mark on the head would probably look like a finger painting.

What do the pro's do?

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm talking about how the diameter of the intake port of the head matches with the inside diameter of the manifold. To confirm there is no ridge that could impede flow. You know, say the intake port of the head has a diameter of 1.000" and the diameter of the intake manifold is 1.060" there would be a .030" lip all the way around. Looking for a good way to mark this.

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How in the heck can you access the cylinder head to scribe it with the manifold installed? My manifold does a 90° turn out towards the A/C.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Pikeslayer

Pikeslayer said:
How in the heck can you access the cylinder head to scribe it with the manifold installed? My manifold does a 90° turn out towards the A/C.
I think what King of the Cubes (or whatevertheheckhis name is) is saying, is that you have to find a way to mark and transfer that mark to the opposite mating surface. There are many different ways to do this. Some people use wet paint on one surface, or dye, or even clay, or wax, or a scribe, or a majic marker, etc.. Your point is a definate valid one for port matching no doubt. Most important, before you actually remove metal from one of the surfaces, its important that you are able to replace the manifild to the head in the exact location you did the time before. So don't forget to mark the intake manifold to the cylinder head with a marker and the intake manifold to the throttle body (if it applies). Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Bolt the flanges on the heads backwards and scribe a circle the right size with a set of calipers. I have even gone so far as to bolt the intake to both heads (with the valves out) and unbolt the heads, lift them off the engine and set them upside down on a bench and scribe them from the valve seat side. Damn TB's, I'm used to working with carbs.

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I understand now. Thanks for the posts guys! :thanks:

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I know I have a advantage in checking this since I have a lathe. I made a sleeve out of aluminum to match the dia inside and out of the intake manifold and put it into the flange and bolt it to the head. This works great to see the diffrence between the 99-05 heads compaired to the 06 and later heads. And the diffrences in the 99-05 and 06> intake flanges.

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cts1950 said:
I know I have a advantage in checking this since I have a lathe. I made a sleeve out of aluminum to match the dia inside and out of the intake manifold and put it into the flange and bolt it to the head. This works great to see the diffrence between the 99-05 heads compaired to the 06 and later heads. And the diffrences in the 99-05 and 06> intake flanges.
Great idea! That's what I'll do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts