V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with an intake leak on a friend’s 2000 RK. It was popping and spitting so a squirt of carb cleaner around the flanges confirmed this. I put in a new set of gaskets and same thing, leaked. It is an SE manifold with a stock CV (98” and other sutff) so I swapped out to a stock manifold and still leaked (ran this same setup on my Softail). I am making sure that I tighten down evenly and lube the o-rings a bit, making sure the front and rear flanges were where they are supposed to be.
I used a James gasket set, but I have heard of a blue colored one that has a broad face. I remember being careful about centering the heads when I put them on, used the a Ness A/C to help. Open part (slotted) of flanges to the left?

I am stuck and wanted to see if any of you care to share a secret or 2 about fixing a leak and admit to not sure what to try next. Time to close up the garage for the night…..

Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I know this is obvious to some but did you check to see if the flanges may be switched, there is a front and rear assuming the heads are from a similar year.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
A indie told me he uses yamabound, to seal gaskets.

I also 2nd checking to make sure installed correctly.

Also maybe try SE gaskets, since they were made for the application. I got some S&S, which I was told would be fine, seemed a little loose. Reused the SE.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Carb cleaner is highly violable and can easily get sucked in the air filter while your testing as it idles and show you a leak when in reality you don't have one. Try some soapy water, or even straight gas but be very careful you don't have a hot motor or an open ignition. Some use brake clean but again anything that sprays can and will get sucked in the air filter while idling. Also check the map sensor gasket on the manifold.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I recently rebuilt my intake and looked into the Yamastuff as Berserker suggested. From what I could tell it just appears to be a high heat silicone, but I'm probably wrong.

Anyway, and I'm might pay for this later, but I used some high heat silicone around the gaskets(not the yama brand). Not anywhwere that it could get into the intake but I needed to seal that sucker. I used stock seals.

Anyway. It definatly cured my leak and has been holding.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the quick replies. I did check for the switched flanges, good call though. I'll check again tomorrow, I have been know to make a mistake or two!!
I'll try just about any gasket at this point or sealer for that fact. The black ones from James did have a broader face, not sure that is the problem. I will try again tomorrow with a clear head.

I'll also try the soapy water although I get a spitting thru the carb at idle, that is what lead me to checking the intake flanges. Never had this on a TC, not that I have done many. Panhead leaks were fun....

thanks again
greg

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Roadster_G said:
thanks for the quick replies. I did check for the switched flanges, good call though. I'll check again tomorrow, I have been know to make a mistake or two!!
I'll try just about any gasket at this point or sealer for that fact. The black ones from James did have a broader face, not sure that is the problem. I will try again tomorrow with a clear head.

I'll also try the soapy water although I get a spitting thru the carb at idle, that is what lead me to checking the intake flanges. Never had this on a TC, not that I have done many. Panhead leaks were fun....

thanks again
greg
Spitting through the carb is a sign of a lean condition....yes an intake leak can give a lean condition at idle but did you ever think about richening the carb some?

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HD, I am at a 50 slow and a sportster needle. I lent that carb (40 cv) that was on my Softail 98". His 98" has more extensive headwork than mine, more gas needed? I will try some different things tonight to determine if it is a leak or lack of fuel. I assumed that what I did with the carb cleaner told me that I had a leak coupled with the spitting, but your suggestions will lead me to look into both areas of a leak and/or lean condition. I may take the SE 44 that I currently run, off my Softail (whcih I broke!!) and see what happens.

thanks
greg

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Roadster_G said:
HD, I am at a 50 slow and a sportster needle. I lent that carb (40 cv) that was on my Softail 98". His 98" has more extensive headwork than mine, more gas needed? I will try some different things tonight to determine if it is a leak or lack of fuel. I assumed that what I did with the carb cleaner told me that I had a leak coupled with the spitting, but your suggestions will lead me to look into both areas of a leak and/or lean condition. I may take the SE 44 that I currently run, off my Softail (whcih I broke!!) and see what happens.

thanks
greg
Roadster,
You just may want to pull the bowl off.Don't spill the gas out and look closely at it for a bubble if you have the bubble you have water so get rid of it. see it happen to many people that get wild with the high pressure car wash. also may have a slug of some omething in the tiny orfices too. one thing i have seen is a slug of something that was under the three screw for the accelerator pump. used carb cleaner in the holes and out come this nasty crap.. just bad fuel or fuel filters at the pump,, anyway it may be worth a peek ratehr than chasing your tial on the same ole stuff.
Happy

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Check the petcock to make sure it is not leaking air there and make sure the rubber boot is on the choke cable and in place ( where it connects to the carb). And is the manifold not hitting the head?? many times with heads that are milled the intake will touch the head and you have a leak , many times it will happen only hot as the manifold expands and the leak gets worse.

Your jetting sounds rather large for your set up but then again what ever it takes to get the bike to run correctly. I would think a 46- 48 pilot and a 200 main would be a good starting point for the stock carb.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Damn air. Always getting in where it's not supposed to.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got in from the garage, tried again with the manifold. This time I got it up on my table lift so I could see and set everything up. I pulled an SE 44 off my softail and used that instead. Fired right up, set mixture, warmed it up and no spitting or popping. Sounds real good.

Problem is that it is a sight faster than the softail, hmmm....can't have that. I will have to come up with something next year. 117" or more??

Steve, this was one of your 98" packages, a real runner.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions, I appreciate it.

greg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts