V-Twin Forum banner

Insurance, USAA/Foremost/Progressive??

3K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  bebrewer 
#1 ·
Curious about the experiences out there.... a little background.

We've been with USAA for years and they have outstanding service, but their rates a a little high on some things.

Spoke to them today for a few routine changes and they informed me they had partnerships with Progressive and Foremost and I could switch to them vice keeping it all with USAA (I guess they have gotten out of bikes but maintain existing policies). They patched me thru to each of them and both were in fact cheaper with Foremost being the least.

I've never had any dealings with either of these companies (never heard of Foremost :hmmm:) and wondering your thoughts. I know everyone's rates depend on a zillion factors, but this is a good swing in prices with USAA running over $1100, Progressive about $996 and Foremost at $904 a year total for full coverage on both of our bikes.

Our concerns are (to start with):
is this a bait-and-switch deal where my rates jump up after the 1st 6 months to a year?
What kind of service do they offer (God forbid) if somthing happens?

The fact that USAA referred me to them sort of makes me feel a little better about them, but still wondering. Any thoughts on the three?

Thanks,

Allen

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm with Allstate. I just shopped again last week comparing all the same limits and deductibles with the lizard place and Progressive, including extra accessory coverages, and it was still cheaper to stay with who I had, barely.

One of the reasons, my homeowners gives me a 10% discount on my other policies with them, which is just enough to beat Progressive.

Make sure you compare the exact same coverage. Liability, Medical Payments, deductibles, limits on bodily injury and liability, comprehensive and uninsured motorist are all different and when you adjust them to the same in quotes you can usually get them close.

If you find a better deal, talk to your current company, see if they will meet them.

USAA are from I have always heard a top notch group to deal with.

#4 ·
The rates I'm getting from USAA right now are the best they can do, I suspect because they want to get out of bikes.

The coverage from Progressive and Foremost quoted is nearly identical to my current policy- in fact the new qoutes are a little better coverage at 100/300 (USAA is 100/200).

Called the lizards too; they were cheapest of the bunch. I have had too many friends that got the royal circle-jerk anytime they had to do anything with them (like actually pay a claim) other than pay their premiums. I know there are exceptions, but no one I PERSONALLY know that had them did not speak very highly of them. Doubt I'll be sending them any money.....

Leaning toward the Foremost outfit, just never heard of them 'till now. Anyone ever had to file a claim with them?

Allen

PS- I just hate this whole insurance gig to start with..... been driving and riding since I was 15 and have never filed a claim for anything! I want my friggin money back! :mad:

#6 ·
One thing to keep in mind with USAA is that they are a non-profit organization. Every year I get a check back. I insure my car and bike with them, and usually get two hundred and change dollars back. It was smaller than usual this past year because of Katrina. Also, I have never heard of them trying to back away from a claim. I think the peace of mind is worth it.

#7 ·
I filed a claim with Foremost. The dealer who handled the repair delt with them, even two months after I got the bike back and found the front rim was not straight. My rate did not increase until later...

There was a charge/fee/tax/gouge for wear items, windshield, leather bags, seat... 1% per thousand miles. {20K miles, you pay 20% of the cost to replace the items}.

#8 ·
We've got all our vehicles and house insurance with USAA, and have had fantastic customer service from them. My Heritage is about $320/ 6 months, I think. They go by CC's, so my hubby's VTX 1800 is actually more expensive eventhough it's not worth near as much in value.

#9 · (Edited)
I just switched from Progressive to Foremost and saved about $200 a year and got better coverage.

My experience with Progressive was not that good. When I cancelled my policy they were confused, one agent said I had to have a form stating my intent to cancel. Another agent said a phone call was good enough. I did both and kept getting bills. They claimed they never got my faxed form and claimed the agent who said a phone call was good enough was wrong. Finally I asked the agent to wait on the phone and verify she got the faxed form, she did and said they would send me a check for the balance of the coverage I cancelled.

I have yet to see the check and that was over a month ago.

#11 ·
meanbean said:
I just switched from Progressive to Foremost and saved about $200 a year and got better coverage......
Last year I too switched to Foremost. I had Progressive for a year, but upon renewal the rate was increasing quite a bit - seems like 20-25%. I've had a perfect driving record for 30+yrs and no claims. What I ended up doing with Foremost was getting much better coverage, lower deductible and better optional equipment coverage for just about the same as the Progressive renewal rate.

On the otherhand, my wife had a claim on her car thru Progressive and handled perfectly. No complaints at all.

#12 ·
adlerx said:
OUCH!! I pay 324 a year with 100/300 w/250 deductable and extra medical coverage, Farmers! Do you guys have DUI's or something to have to pay so much??
Record squeaks, but remember comparing rates can be misleading due to diffrent areas. The rates they have quoted are for a year on 2 bikes.

I thought it was interesting Progressive asked if I was an MSF instructor. When I said yes, the lady said it was the first time she had ever had gotten a yes.

USAA has been good to us in terms of service, they are just out of the box when it comes to rates. This was not the case for a long time; they beat everyone hands down for a long time. They haven't come down over the years matching what the other companies can do now. I too get a check, but it's not much (I think last years was about $30)- always wondered how they compute them. We've been with them for a long time and have all of our insurance and most of our loans with them- I'd think we would rate one of those bigger checks or lower rates!

Still a little nervous about Foremost- not knowing anything about them or how they handle claims.....:hmmm:

Allen

#13 ·
I got a quote from AARP for my scooter insurance. Their carrier is Foremost. The rate I got is dirt cheap. They're also promoting a deal in which your first accident doesn't count against your claims history/rate.

I haven't had a claim, but I'm real pleased with the annual cash outlay.

#14 ·
I have Progressive

I can't say I know any other coverage. I bought my 04 Heritage in October and went with Progressive. I checked with the gecko and a couple of other insurers and went with Progressive. After one months coverage....disaster. I picked up a nail on a Sunday afternoon. It was the Sunday before Thanksgiving. I had my cell phone on me and I remembered the free roadside service with Progressive. They had me picked up in less than a half hour and I was extremely pleased with their service. The only catch was I had to pay for the towing home and they would reimburse me at a later date. I received the check less than a month after the incident. I am very pleased with their coverage and service...but I haven't had any other claim and I haven't renewed yet. We'll wait and see about the rates.

#16 ·
I have all my insurance with USAA. They are the best service oriented company I have dealt with. They smoked all other insurance rates for me in Southern Calif. None of my riding partners rates come close. For full coverage, 300 to 500, I pay $122 for my heritage for 6 months and $117 for my ultra for 6 months.

Regards, SSC

#17 ·
Progressive ONLINE

I priced Foremost, as well as State Farm who I have had my houses with for 20 years, and my cars with for over 30 years. Progressive ONLINE beat Foremost by over a hundred a year and we won't even talk about State Farm. I pay 23 a month for full coverage with 500 deductible collision and a grand in accessories on my 99 FXD. It has gone down a couple of bucks each year. I went online and priced the same coverage on a new streetglide and it was only 12 dollars higher. The key is that I went online and deal directly with Progressive and cut the agents out of the picture. The adjusters are independent adjusters contracted with Progressive in the case of a claim, so what do I need the agent for?:cool:

#18 ·
This kinda depends on what state you're in, the regulations in that state, and the marketing method of the Co. My last time around I started out letting HOG shop it for me but I wound up with Progressive through my regular agent.
In Pa th coverage for the bike is supposed to align limits with reg auto, which I do, and they are high, and its still only about $450 annually in the Philly ins region (which sucks). Progressive here was much cheaper through an agent then direct of the website.

#19 ·
I just got my renewal from Progressive yesterday. $341 for a year on my 04 Deuce. The second year there was actually a reduction. The $341 is the same rate as last year.
I have USAA for my car and homeowners. They wanted something like $1200 a year for my Deuce for the same coverage as Progressive.
They basically told me they didn't want to cover bikes but would if you are willing to pay for it.
I don't ever plan on having a claim so I am not going to worry about that end. Too many lawyers in the family to write nasty letters for me if there ever is a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.