V-Twin Forum banner

Insurance in North Carolina?

1K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  harleygirl64 
#1 ·
I will be picking up my 2003 FLSTSI in November (fingers crossed), and I am trying to get my insurance in order.
I called my auto agent, HD insurance, and also my home owners insurance company and they all told me something that seems to be a little odd.
They claim that in North Carolina there is no policy for the rider? If something should happen while carrying a passenger, there own hospitalization will cover any injuries they may occur. Does this seem right? Does anyone else have this same problem?
Maybe I'm missing a loophole somewhere.
Thanks

#2 ·
In Mass you have to buy guest insurance. The operator can't purchase more than $5,000 worth of medical coverage. You can get high liabilities for un and underinshured motorists so if someone hits you you will have enough medical coverage, if you hit a pole or tree you only have the $5,000.(I don't recomend hitting trees and poles anyway).

#3 · (Edited)
Not sure about what policies cover, but I check with my insurance and the premium was ridiculous ($600 for 6 months on FLSTFI). They even admit it. Something with the NC insurance that is amiss, Geico does not offer motorcycle insurance in NC, and many I found on the web do not or indicate NC coverage "very soon".

I found a site in a mag www.nccycleinsurance.com (800 852 7365 just tried to load the website.. nothing) haven't checked into it yet. Friend of mine said US Insurance was the best rate in NC. Haven't looked into that either.

Post what you find... I will as well. Maybe someone who knows will post specifically about NC as it seems to be different...

#4 ·
The best rate I got was from HD insurance. $859.00 for the year. Allstate wanted $1350.00, where Liberty Mutual wanted $1500.00 for the year! Ridiculous.
All three policies the rider is not covered.

My girlfriend thinks this my plan to ride solo*

#6 ·
#8 ·
Schroeder, Cupil CupilGwen@HOTMAIL.COM
Hello Mooresville
255 S. Academy St.
Mooresville , NC 28115
704-662-6072 (FAX) 704-662-6072

Pegram Insurance Gary Hancock = Branch (NCCYCLEINSURANCE-DOM)
127 N Main Street
Mooresville, NC 28115

#9 ·
Just another sneaky way for the insurance companies to reduce their risk in states that let them get away with it. In Georgia you can add medical coverage to your comprehensive but it isn't automatically in there. Since I and my potential passengers have separate health insurance it would be silly for me to pay for double coverage. On the other hand, it's a good investment if you're not otherwise covered.

Another thing to watch the fine print on is personal injury liability. A local TV station ran a story on this recently. The subject was a woman who was seriously injured by an underinsured driver. The short version is that she is permanently handicapped and bankrupt because the offender only had the minimum $15k liability and no personal assets to go after in court. Oh yeah... she didn't have any health insurance either.

G
#10 ·
H-D Insurance brokers for a bunch of companies. I had a Guide One policy through H-D last year, but they're pulling out of the market in several states, so H-D switched me to another company (American Home I think) at renewal time. My rate dropped $90 to $319 per year.

#11 ·
NC FATBOY

I called the "Travelers" insurance here in Charlotte today, and they quoted me $946.00 for the year.
She said the passenger will be covered under the liability. I questioned her, and she called the home office just to make sure.
When she called me back, she swore the "rider" will be covered!
I think I will call a few more places just to validate what she is saying is true.
I'm hoping this may be it.

#12 ·
I don't carry passengers so I'm not sure about that particular question, but I am in NC and had another question. I recently got a quote from Harley insurance and it was extremely high. I can't remember if it was because I'm young or because I've only been riding for a short time (2 years at the time I called). In any case, does anyone know if there is an age or amount of time riding in which the rates get lowered?? Thanks!

#13 ·
Sporty Kid said:
does anyone know if there is an age or amount of time riding in which the rates get lowered?? Thanks!
It depends on the insurance company.

With respect to age, there's usually a break at 21 then again at 25 or so. Also, marital status and your location (i.e. traffic density, crime rate, etc) can affect your premiums significantly.

With respect to experience, I have Progressive and they specifically asked about mine. Of course I answered that I was first licensed and started riding 20 years ago but they didn't go into great detail about how continuous that experience was :).

I can remember when I first started riding all they wanted to know was the engine size. Since I was on a Kawi that started with the letter "Z" that put me right into the top risk category even though 900cc was a few notches down. Now I think there's more attention on the model where a 600cc sport bike will be rated higher risk than a 1450cc bagger.

Now I suppose they think I'm older and wiser so I'm really only paying for living in traffic hell versus age, experience, or living in a bad neighborhood.

#14 ·
USAA

If you are in the Reserves or are Active Duty, give USAA a try. I pay $430.00 (6 month premium) for my brand new 2002 Ford Explorer XLS and $206.00 (6 month premium) for my 2002 Sportster.

#15 ·
I called H-D insurance Co. this week for a quote... 523.00 for the year.on my "03 heritage" with 10% extra off when I join the H.O.G chapter... and another 10% when I take the saftey course.. the thing I liked was if I wreck my bike and if it 's totaled, in the next 4 years H-D will give a brand new bike for the year it's wrecked... (If I wreck in 2005 .. I'd get a new 2005 bike...) most insurance company's will only give the book value on a wrecked bike... but I hope I never wreck in the first place

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.