V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out the best way to install spiral locks in a set of JE pistons without screwing up the piston. The instructions I found on the net say to spread out the lock 1/8 to 1/4 inch and just spiral them in, easier said than done.

Are there any tricks to installing these locks? Is there a speciality tool for these type of locks to make installation easier? Thanks in advance for any advice given.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,289 Posts
Max63 said:
I'm trying to figure out the best way to install spiral locks in a set of JE pistons without screwing up the piston. The instructions I found on the net say to spread out the lock 1/8 to 1/4 inch and just spiral them in, easier said than done.

Are there any tricks to installing these locks? Is there a speciality tool for these type of locks to make installation easier? Thanks in advance for any advice given.

http://v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68271&highlight=spiro+locks

we ended up using a small flat blade srew driver to push them in.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
33 Posts
All I can tell you is TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE IN! I know all about this the hard way. I had an engine built for my Mitsubishi Evolution and the guy who assembled the bottom end did not get one of the spiral locks completely in on the #1 Arias piston. The engine developed a "knock" after about 650 miles and I ended up having to pull it out. The wrist pin backed out and scored the cylinder badly, I am talking about we had to sleeve the cylinder badly. The builder to his credit took full responibility and not only re-built it, but stroked it at the same time with new pistons. But I still had the time in it to pull and re-install the engine again, and on an Evolution this is NOT an easy task. It's a real PIA actually. So my advise is to just make sure that they are seated before you put everything together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got it

:beatdh: It took some patience to get the first one in but once I got the sequence down, they all went in with no problem. Yep, I used the small screwdriver and with a little force got them set fairly quick.
Hopefully I won't ever have to take those things out. Thanks to those who took the time to give me some advice.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top