V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to install tranny shifter seal. Bought replacement from Cometic. How do I install? Lube the seal with oil and slide in? Tap with socket. Any thing special to this? Thanks for the help.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
berserker said:
I need to install tranny shifter seal. Bought replacement from Cometic. How do I install? Lube the seal with oil and slide in? Tap with socket. Any thing special to this? Thanks for the help.
Yes, you can do that. Or I usually put a thin film of black RTV around the outside diameter of the seal and tap it in with a socket until the outer edge of the seal is flush with the bore.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you put the RTV on before putting seal in, so smears into opening?

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
berserker said:
So you put the RTV on before putting seal in, so smears into opening?
Well just take a dab on your finger and run your finger around the outside diameter of the seal to leave a thin film of silicone. Then tap in the seal.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now just get off my ass and go out to the garage. Been a bit cold here. Bought fuel for the heater Sunday though. Better get going, will be spring soon.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the shifter off and washer. Orginal is metal, atleast on outside. Replacement, cometic, is rubber. Assuming i have the correct one. was kind of surprised.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the seal out, new one looks same size. Not much to it just a cavity behind the washer. Hope I got the right leak. If not much fix when putting new gaskets on primary.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
If you're not replacing the seal that was leaking, it's going to drive you berserk. :wacko:

Thorns

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Should have cleaned the area good and rode it. But winter came on me, and I am lazy. Sure is alot of oil all over the place. Clean it good now. Won't pull it apart to fix, but atleast I will know where its leaking.

There was alot of oil all over back of inner primary. So maybe one of those seal is bad. Hard to tell little oil can go a long way.

Thinking about replacing gasket to top of tranny.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had outer primary off last summer, small leak after that on bottom. So bought all new Cometic gaskets. What bugs me about the leaks is having to worry about how much leaked out.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Beserker,

My 05 Low Rider had the same leak. Dealer said he's seeing a lot of this lately. The shifter shaft bushing was worn out, and the shaft needed replacement too. I was able to get it taken care of under warranty, even though they gave me crap for using MTL.

Thorns

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I am a dumb ass. Went to install seal. When I drove the screws into the old one, to grab it with. Hit the block and bushing. Two little hole. Scrapped of burs.
Not sure what to do. Will the bushing sping in there and make the block worse? Will it scrap against seal and cause leak? Not sure what I can do beside put it back together and hope for the best.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I put the seal in. Pushed it in with the washer. So not to put it any farther in then have. Hopefully won't make contact with bur. I scrapped it pretty good.

I hope this is not a case of trying to fix something and making it worse. That has been known to happen to me.

·
Registered
297 Posts
berserker said:
Well I put the seal in. Pushed it in with the washer. So not to put it any farther in then have. Hopefully won't make contact with bur. I scrapped it pretty good.

I hope this is not a case of trying to fix something and making it worse. That has been known to happen to me.
You want to make sure that the shift shaft does not bind in the bushing because of the burrs. As long as it moves freely you should be ok. If you are not sure where the original leak was you may want to consider changing the transmission mainshaft seal while you are this far into it. The primary and transmission usually have different fluids in them. If you haven't cleaned everything up already you may be able to identify the fluid and figure out where the leak is coming from.....Bill

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The plot thickens. I was just thinking, after I scraped off the burrs I never blew it out. Probably ok. Shallow pocket. Well I removed the new seal. Luckily when I ordered them from cometic they sent a 5 pak.

I want to sleep on this and look at it again tomorrow.

There was alot of oil on the shifter. Also oil bottom of primary. I cleaned up the area. Took befoe pictures. will look at them I didn;t clean behind the sproket for tranny. Can probably look in there and check.

I was using syn in all 3 holes. Think will put redline in tranny. Just to identify the fluids.

Kind of frustrating when you try to make things better, and this happens. Its not easy being stupid.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same Problem

I have the same leak on my 02 RK with 20k miles. Dealer tells me shifter shaft and seal need to be replaced, 6 hours labor, and $200 parts = $600 total. Does this seem high?

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
miken488 said:
I have the same leak on my 02 RK with 20k miles. Dealer tells me shifter shaft and seal need to be replaced, 6 hours labor, and $200 parts = $600 total. Does this seem high?

I think I'd try just the seal if you can DIY. I'm assuming the dealer hasn't had the cover off yet.

Tom

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
$200 in parts?? The seal for the shifter is a few dollars. I think I paid $60-70 for all replacement seals from cometic for primary. The jack shaft seals, starter, sometimes leak too.

6 hours labors seems a little salty for a proffesional. I think I might be able to do it in 6, if I stayed at it and didn't get distracted.

I had to buy 1.5" socket. Got it in impact grade, cause I wanted 1/2 drive. Also need ratchet with a head the angles to get the passenger floorboard off. Should have this already for adjusting clutch. Maybe the right allen wrench would work. Bend one. But I am glad I bought the ratchet use it alot now.

If I remember correctly the bolts holding cover on are torqued in inches, so should have inch lb tq wrench. $6 in black rtv, and another $6 for the red locktite are only thing special you need. Migtht want to look for it ahead of time. I used the locktite # that manual called for, not just the generic stuff that auto stores have. But I am anal.

My guess hour to remove outer primary with set up. hour to remove clutch and comp nut, if it comes off easy. Mine did with a 2' cheater. Hour to put new seal in, then hour put inner primary on, with rtv. Then another hour to put on clutch and comp nut. 30 minutes to adjust clutch. Then another hour to put on outer primary and floorboards. Now add an hour just for the hell of it. Total doing it at home is...so 7.5 hours. This is doing it causually at home read manual over couple times, fiddling with radio, ect.

Oh throw another hour or so to screw around putting new seals in the inner primary. I tapped mine in with socket. But if you know a good indy have them do it with press.

Do not touch clutch lever with clutch off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will have to remove clutch release cover and reseat balls, most likely. Pipes need to be off to get at cover too.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TomD said:
I think I'd try just the seal if you can DIY. I'm assuming the dealer hasn't had the cover off yet.

Tom
If you got the primary off do all the seals. Its not uncommon for them to leak. Not to mention you've gone that far. Put everything new and forget about it.

Also there is a new version of the shifter seal that is better. Make sure you get it, double lipped. Same for main seal and jack seal. There are some bulletins going around about those seals.

BTW last time I looked hole area was dry as a bone

·
Registered
44 Posts
miken488 said:
Although the models are different,it ain't that much.My dealer told me around $250 for my Dyna.I was going to do it myself anyway,just wanted to know how much I was gonna save.Take some of the money you were going to give them and buy a few tools that you'll get to keep,a manual,all the seals you come in contact with,a few gallons of beer,nice dinner for you and the wife,put the rest in the bank and do it yourself.Get someone to hold the bike while you loosen and tighten the compensator and clutch.You can make a sprocket lock out of a piece of flat bar.Take your time and follow the instructions,it ain't that bad.:huh:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts