V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
HOGDOG
906 Posts
You will need to drill holes in the top to mount the rack. We like ours on the Ultra Classic. The Leather T Bag or case fits nicely on the rack.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
If you're talking about the hard tour pack, measure 3 - 4 times for accuracy before you drill. Place rack on the template provided and eyeball it to make sure it looks okay and measure again. You only get one chance to drill correctly. You'll love it as stated above.

Oh, more tips:

1. Place some masking tape on inside of tour pack in areas where you will be drilling. This will help so that when bit comes through, it doesn't tear up too much of the pack.

2. Get some silicone caulk and put around bolt heads inside before you tighten it down for final time(Don't overtighten). Also after tightened down, run a bead around the heads. This will help insure you don't have any surprises regarding leaks.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
welcome
yes
yes
probably

The template is a real POS, be sure to mask top and bottom and like unome said measure 3-4 times to get it right. Once those holes are drilled in the lid of that $700 tour pac, hard to cover em up. best of luck!
Good tip on the silicone caulk unome!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's on

Thanks guys for the tips... after much measuring and second guessing I drilled
the first hole with beats of nervous sweat dripping from my brow. It's on and looks great. Now what to do with the money I saved doing it myself . HHMMM
where's that accessory catalog.. ahahah

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I though the template was crap. Either that or I am to dumb to use it. I measured with a soft tape. Tried measuring of edge lines. Is it perfect, I dunno. Unless your really screw up on centering, you will probably not notice 1/4" off, unless you look for it.

At $600 for a tourpak, drilling is not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
161 Posts
berserker said:
I though the template was crap. Either that or I am to dumb to use it. I measured with a soft tape. Tried measuring of edge lines. Is it perfect, I dunno. Unless your really screw up on centering, you will probably not notice 1/4" off, unless you look for it.

At $600 for a tourpak, drilling is not for the faint of heart.
I know this is an old post, but just had to give my 2 cents. I just purchased the Premium Tour pak Luggage rack. I have to agree, the tempate is crap. I'll figure it out though.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
Did mine this summer, piece of cake but I third or fourth the crappy template.
Now you want to talk about nervous? Back in the 80's I installed a sunroof in my Camaro and I had to drill a starting hole then saw the roof off.:yikes: I think I measured twenty or thirty times before that project.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
I only used the template for a reference to get it in the general area, in case i ever want to put the lighted spoiler on...
i masked off the areas the holes will be drilled with blue painters tape...and taped the center section and put center lines on to measure from too.

with the bike on the jack, so it's level side to side, and slightly higher in the back, so the rack doesn't want to slide off the tour pak...i measured from the sides...from the back...from center...a lot of times
then i eyeballed it from 10 - 15 ft. back(take the antennaes off before you start)
after i marked the hole location/center of hole - i used an automatic center punch
start with a small drill first...prolly around 1/16"...then one between...then hole size
i dulled the sharp cutting edge of the larger drill bits, to keep them from grabbing.

i prolly took too much time doing this...but I'm satisfied that it's perfect:D

·
Registered
501 Posts
Piece of cake. Also think about getting the accessory pouch(?) for the inside. Drill through that and attach with larger washers. It will never come down. (as apposed to the original attachingTAPE!)

·
Registered
161 Posts
It was a peice of cake, it took about and hour and a half though. Measured at least 10 times from every angle. Didn't have any extra holes. That makes me happy!!

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.