V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it fairly difficult to install the H-D oil cooler on a '01 FLHT or should I have the dealer do it? It looks like there isn't much to it.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
There isn't, in particular if you use the Harley kit. Mostly care when routing the lines, and you will need a new cover for the lines because the old one will no longer fit.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok great. Thanks Hippo.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I installed an oil cooler on my 02 FLHTC/I, and it wasn't too difficult. The Harley instructions are pretty good and not too difficult to follow. Getting the clap tight on the straight fitting can be a problem unless you have a 1/4" drive ratchet and 1/4" socket. The dealer wanted 2.5 hours of labor to install it. That is about how long it took me and that is with a dinner break. My question is what cover can be used to replace the stock oil line cover?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kampnnut said:
My question is what cover can be used to replace the stock oil line cover?
Kampnnut, I believe it will fit with Engine Transmission Interface Cover part #66096-02. It is on page 468 in the big Harley catalog. The oil cooler in that book calls for the 66003-99 which is the same one only for touring models '99-'01.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the links. I think I'll go with the Jagg model. The Motorcycle Innovations model looks interesting but I don't think it would ever fit with my lowers on.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The Jagg oil cooler set up looks just like the HD set up, but the site did not state if a thermostat was included in the kit. It also said an offset adapter kit was needed for certain models. The complete kit from HD is $230 (cooler, thermostat, and adapters). By the time you get everything you need, Jagg's cooler is about the same as HD. Oh ya, a new oil line cover is needed too at least on the 2002 models.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Jagg oil cooler cost

Here's what I paid for my oil cooler

Jagg Slimline oil cooler $160.00 (Turbulator)
Jagg 4600 offset filter adapter $123.00
Harley Thermostat ( made by Jagg) $ 69.95
$257.00 Total
(See my picture of the installed unit previously in this thread)

I also had to spend a few bucks for a 1" socket to do the install. I also found that a long allen wrench (socket extension) makes the job a whole lot easier. The cooler seems to work well, although I have no temp gauge, which is the reason I jumped into this forum. I e-mailed American Iron magazine and they responded with "Whatever cooler you decide to use, get it on your bike, the twin cam 88 runs hot"

By the way Boomer...thanks for the price info on the lowers.

·
Registered
240 Posts
An interesting test.

Harley Joel,

Since you got that cool oil temp gauge, mark your average reading. After you install your oil cooler, it would be interesting to know the difference in temperature. I've noticed My oil capacity has increased by 4 or 5 oz.

Fastlane

1 - 17 of 17 Posts