V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have chrome switch housings and I am trying to install them, the problem is that I cannot remove the switches from the old housing (left side currently). I found the two hidden screws that hold the bracket inside the lower housing but these switches are not budging.

Has anyone done this? If so, do you have any tips?

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Look at the new housings, you should be able to tell where to pop them out. ( OEM or aftermarket housings)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Take your fingers and massage the buttons while pulling gently on the wires. Just pushing the actual button firmly back and forth. Wow that sounds dirty for some reason. Lol anyway you'll get em. Just don't be a ***** cat :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle App

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Left one is on!!! I decided to change my grips though as I never want to take these things off ever again. I did discover one thing I had never known before, there is a button on the front side of the left switch housing, it is wired to something but I have no idea what it does, what does it do?

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I went to the HD dealer and they didn't have the grips I wanted so I am just reinstalling the ones I have but the parts guy did warn me about some sensor on the right side. I stopped by service and they said that I may break the brake light switch.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
125 Posts
So I went to the HD dealer and they didn't have the grips I wanted so I am just reinstalling the ones I have but the parts guy did warn me about some sensor on the right side. I stopped by service and they said that I may break the brake light switch.

Thoughts?

It's the front brake light sensor switch. I just replaced my stock grips today. I pulled the brake lever in and wedged a folded up piece of cardboard into the gap between the brake lever and brake lever housing to keep the lever off of the switch. It was a piece of cake. I can get a picture to you if you like.

Steve

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
It's the front brake light sensor switch. I just replaced my stock grips today. I pulled the brake lever in and wedged a folded up piece of cardboard into the gap between the brake lever and brake lever housing to keep the lever off of the switch. It was a piece of cake. I can get a picture to you if you like.

Steve
A zip tie wedged in there works well too.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I bought the complete chrome switch package, including levers and the little chrome switches. Took one look at the directions to install them and knowing how much trouble I can get in to I called my indy and he quoted two hours labor. I'll be scheduling an appointment. I was lucky in one respect, I installed the chrome brake lever and removed it just to see how it looked not knowing at the time about the sensor switch you can break. Fortunately I didn't break it.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
I bought the complete chrome switch package, including levers and the little chrome switches. Took one look at the directions to install them and knowing how much trouble I can get in to I called my indy and he quoted two hours labor. I'll be scheduling an appointment. I was lucky in one respect, I installed the chrome brake lever and removed it just to see how it looked not knowing at the time about the sensor switch you can break. Fortunately I didn't break it.
You got lucky. It's really easy to break that switch if you don't do it right.

There is an easy way to tell if its broken: If the brake light stays on, you broke it. Problem is that if you don't wedge something into the brake lever to keep it pulled in, you can guillotine the little plastic switch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts