V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do I got to do to change to Chrome Fork Lowers ? Do I have to take the Nacelle off ? Do I have to replace the Fork Seals ? The bike is a 98 Road King Classic. I have a service manual but that tells you how to disassemble the complete assembly........Thanks Big Sippi:D

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
You only have to take off the lowers from the tubes and the brakes and the wheel and the fender. Nacelle can stay on. You will have to replace the fork seals. Be sure and let the air out of suspension before doing anything.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do I remove the Lowers from the fork tubes ?
Thanks Big Sippi:) :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can someone verify the size of the bolt the holds the fork tubes together ?
I think it's a 6mm but not sure. Allen head.
Thanks Much....................Big Sippi

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
It is a metric but I don't remember what size. Use a metric allen wrench to get the right size, then go buy the same size in a 3/8" socket. It is much easier to remove the bolt using an air rachet with the socket otherwise it's hard to keep things from turning.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If you add chrome lowers, you should consider chrome uppers. The stock ones look chrome (at least on an 02) but do not match the chrome lowers.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have to remove the lowers and the Nacelle, then there are two small screws, remove and replace........BS

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am thinking of doing it on my 2002 roadking classic also. So all I have to do is remove rim , calipers, fender, and use a 6 mm wrench at bottem of lowers and they slide right off? I have to drain the oil first correct? On the 2002 there is no air in front any more correct ? I also have a manual and they show the whole fork assembly . I called dealer and they wanted almost $1000 to do it I ordered parts from CHD and it came to $400 for the parts .Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
When I did my '00 RK. I took everything apart at the headlamp. Then unclamped the tubes and pulled them out. Of course after removing front wheel, brakes, fender, etc.

Make sure you change the uppers too. They are SS and are duller then the chrome lowers.

6mm allen on bottom. Don't loose the copper washers on the drains and the 6mm allens. I replaced mine with new bolts and washers.

I also bought chrome drain screws and chrome clamp screws on the right leg.

Make sure you change the seals at the same time.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
2K2RKC said:
I am thinking of doing it on my 2002 roadking classic also. So all I have to do is remove rim , calipers, fender, and use a 6 mm wrench at bottem of lowers and they slide right off? I have to drain the oil first correct? On the 2002 there is no air in front any more correct ? I also have a manual and they show the whole fork assembly . I called dealer and they wanted almost $1000 to do it I ordered parts from CHD and it came to $400 for the parts .Thanks for the help :)
Gotta take the spring clip out that is on top of the seal or she ain't sliding off.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm getting chrome lowers and uppers installed as part of the purchase arrangement . The labor quote was two hours. A far cry from $1000. Maybe shopping around a little is in order.

·
Registered
758 Posts
No FL is complete without chrome uppers and lowers. A thing of beauty to behold.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a spare set and had them powder coated gloss black. I have the Silver and Black Anniv. colors. I'm hoping the black lowers will break up all the silver and chrome on the front end.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts