V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed Progressive monotubes on my 2004 FLHTPI. Was super easy to install them.

A few things you must have to install them,

1. A 1 and 3/8 inch closed end wrench, I got mine at NAPA auto parts

2. A 16oz bottle of your choice fork oil, I used the Screamin Eagle oil from the stealer

3. 2 new fork seals and I got 2 new lower fork screws and crush washers at the stealer

4. A HD fork seal installer or make your own from a 2ft section of 1.5 inch pvc pipe, cut a slice all the way down one side of the pipe and scribe the other side side so that you get a hinging effect so it will slide easily around the outer fork tube, put the lower fork on a 2x4 piece of wood and use a small block on top to drive the pvc pipe down and seat the seal

5. The lower fork screws i had to use a 3/8 impact gun to remove them, and use it to install them, It says to torque them but the fork assembly will just spin if you try that, I used blue locktite on mine but it does say red, my choice up to you ( air impact gun )
be careful not to go to tight on the reinstall

If you follow the supplied instructions it goes quite easy !

Just go slow and do one fork at a time.

If you are doing an electra or street glide each side is different so make sure you pay attention to the instructions, Road king I believe is the same on both sides

Good luck and cant wait to ride mine !

:cya:

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Did mine about 2 months ago, and so far I like them....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles have you gone so far Cool ? What were the biggest improvements ? So far I have heard that the front end diving is minimized and the handling is greatly improved

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Got a few hundred on it. Nosedive is gone, also when hitting a large pothole, the bike is much smoother. No more bone jarring.. Handles better in the curves too. :woohoo:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have these on my RK. The front end felt a little soft at first. I took out some race tech gold valves and springs, so maybe I don't remember what the stock front end felt like. They feel soft on top, but don't bottom or dive anymore. Really smoothes out the front end. I have about 5,000 on mine. Two up and fully loaded still felt great. My fork tubes were worn out and would not hold oil with new seals. A set of these cartridges, and the leaks were gone. The oil is only there to lube the seal, so only 5 ounces go in. There is also no pressure on the oil trying to push it out the seal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts