V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at installing new pipes, with intentions of removing the heat and being just a little louder than the stock exhaust. After lots of searching and reading reviews, I decided on the V&H Power Dual headers with the V&H Monster Rounds. I looked at the Monster Ovals, but I just didn't care for the looks of that muffler. I also opened the intake up with the SE stage 1 and had it remapped. I will be getting some dyno time after I get around a 1000 miles to break in the exhaust. I have been very pleased with the sound, not too loud, but louder than the stock set up. The only problem I have had is that the weather has turned and I am having a hard time finding a window to ride! Come on sunshine!! I need some rumble time!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I had Monster Ovals on my '06 Ultra (95 cu.in. build) for awhile, but didn't care for the sound compared to the previously installed Rinehart slip ons. I also managed to get a couple of scrapes when leaning the bike in turns.
I heard a guy with Monster Rounds on his '11 Ultra Limited and they sounded good - deeper than the Monster Ovals - but not overly loud; and since they are round-shaped probably would not have problems with scraping in turns.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Please explain how you break in an exhaust and why that would be necessary.
I love learning new things.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please explain how you break in an exhaust and why that would be necessary.
I love learning new things.
I was told that the "break in" of the exhaust would allow the internal components to settle in or open up. The tech explained that if you do the dyno adjustments before breaking the exhaust in, that there is a good chance you would need to do another dyno, and spend more money. Saving some money sounded good to me!

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
I was told that the "break in" of the exhaust would allow the internal components to settle in or open up. The tech explained that if you do the dyno adjustments before breaking the exhaust in, that there is a good chance you would need to do another dyno, and spend more money. Saving some money sounded good to me!
Ah.
That info come from Pig Trail?
We spend a lot of time around the Eureka Springs area...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah.
That info come from Pig Trail?
We spend a lot of time around the Eureka Springs area...
Yes it did! I think I have one of the best areas around for riding in my back yard. Eureka is just a great place to be on a bike! And the ride there aint half bad either:)

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Metal doesn't settle in (move) or open up just by having exhaust gases flow through it. I'm a tool & die maker and I know all about the properties of metal and that's not one of them. If there is any fiberglass packing inside it will happen, but if not the tech is full of it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Metal doesn't settle in (move) or open up just by having exhaust gases flow through it. I'm a tool & die maker and I know all about the properties of metal and that's not one of them. If there is any fiberglass packing inside it will happen, but if not the tech is full of it.
It could be the fiberglass, as I have noticed a slight change (sounding better every day) in the sound with the short rides I have done so far. I had several other folks from this area that told me the same thing about "breaking in" the exhaust before doing a dyno tune. I guess I should ask, Do most folks get the dyno done as soon as the exhaust system and a/c are opened up? Or do they ride it a bit before doing the tune?

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
I never dyno tuned any of my bikes but I've had quite a few cars dyno tuned and I have it done right after I installed the mods. If there is a slight change over a period of time it's so small it's not worth losing any sleep over it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I re-flashed the ECM when I upgraded to a 95" BB kit a few years ago. I think I had a set of Screaming Eagle slip-ons when I did the re-map. Been running without a tuner; and have swapped out a number of slip-ons without problem. I'm running with Rinehart slip-ons right now and bike runs good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts