V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished with the install to the LED Trucklights that my Indy Dealer, Calif Phil, sent me, both the driving lights and the Headlight.

WOW and DOUBLE WOW.... the difference is like the difference between night and day. I can't believe I waited so long to do this changeover.

Right after I bought this 04 Ultra last year, I changed out the stock headlamp and driving lights to H-D's Halogen versions. In making that change, I had to go with a new headlight dish and an adaptor between the driving lights that converted each of them from spade type connectors to a plug type. Because I had already done that, I did not need to buy a new headlamp dish or new driving light adaptors for this project. 05 and later Harleys come with the newer stuff as stock.

Here is what the H-D Halogen headlight and driving lights look like in the daylight:

Installation of the Trucklite LED driving lights was pretty much plug and play. I had already been warned that the stock trim rings would have to be snugged down tight, I did and everything fits fine.

Here is one LED driving light installed, notice the immediate difference between it and the H-D Halogen on the right of the picture:

Here's the difference with both LED driving lights installed, notice the difference between them and the H-D Halogen headlight :

Here's both LED driving lights and the Trucklite LED headlight on low beam. The lower portion of the headlight lights up when the hi beam is activated:

I think the whole LED setup provides much more light, and looks good on the Ultra also:

Since the Trucklite LED headlamp sticks our about 2 inches further than the H-D halogen headlamp, the Kuryakyn lighted trim ring is a nice addition to fill in that space. Functional and a bit fancy with the small LED lights all around the inner ring:

I didn't use any additional trim rings on the driving lights, they fit flush and work well with the stock H-D trim rings:

The setup looks kinda like the Starship Enterprise with the lights off, but as long as the LED's provide this kind of lighting, I don't mind at all:

Being LED, they will use less power than the H-D Halogen lights I had before.

Due to age and detoriating night vision, my riding is 99% daylight and that is what I wanted these LED lights for..... I want to look like a 747 coming in for a landing, and hope the cell phone, texting, idiot drivers notice !

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I like that look and they look very nice. Could you give us some more specifics?? Part numbers....locations to buy...

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
"I like that look and they look very nice. Could you give us some more specifics?? Part numbers....locations to buy..."

and pricing?

I like both the look and the function. Good job!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I like that look and they look very nice. Could you give us some more specifics?? Part numbers....locations to buy...
Be happy to provide the information:

I buy as much as I can from a good friend of mine who is an Indy dealer in Concordia, Kansas. I've known Phil Suddeth for many years, ridden with him, and always recommend him because he is a first class, stand up guy. His service is fast, but right now he is on a trip to visit his family in California for Thanksgiving. You might wait until after Thanksgiving to call him. When you do, just say that DaveT in Texas referred you.

His shop is located in Concordia, Kansas:

http://www.harleypartscheap.com/

The Kuryakyn halo trim ring is part number 7785 and retails for $87.95.

The Trucklite LED Headlight is part number 2261 and retails for $299.95.

The Trucklite LED spot lamps are part number 2262 and retail for $109 each.

If you don't want to go with the Kuryakyn lighted halo trim ring, this H-D trim ring fits around the LED headlight nicely, and the same style is available from H-D for the spot lamps also:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks for the pictures, and the staged progression of standard lights to full on LED lights.
I need these, and I think they are less$$$ than the HD hi output light system.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
There's a side by side picture comparison here showing the light coverage of the HD LED and the Trucklites LED headlights, and the HD unit is by far much better than the Trucklites unit.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There's a side by side picture comparison here showing the light coverage of the HD LED and the Trucklites LED headlights, and the HD unit is by far much better than the Trucklites unit.
That is a blanket statement that is not entirely true.

I did a lot of research before settling on the brand I wanted. Two good friends of mine did a side by side comparison and I went with what they personally experienced, not just something randomly found on the internet.

I clearly stated in my first post that started this thread that I was interested in brighter lights to be better seen in daylight riding. In the comparison my friends did, they agreed that the Trucklight brand was better for that.

If you want to pay twice as much for the H-D version, go right ahead. I saved money AND accomplished exactly what I wanted.

Here's the writeup that KenR, one of my friends did with another friend named Larry who has the Trucklights on his Ultra. Ken has the H-D setup on his Ultra. Keeping in mind that he has the H-D setup, notice what he says at the very end:

"Larry and I had a chance to do a side by side passing lamp comparison, both in daylight and nighttime.

Daylight: His Trucklite passing lamps are significantly brighter when within 50-75 yards. The HD passing has such a sharp upper cut-off that if you're above the cut-off line, they're not very bright. Larry's Trucklight LED passing lamps, in comparison, are hugely bright in the daylight. They don't have a cut-off and function more as very good floodlights.

At about 100 yards, they're both about the same visibility (be seen). I saw a pair come around the bend in Deadwood that were super bright. Thought they must be Trucklights like Larrys. But as the motor got closer, the light dimmed and one could tell that it was the HD lamps.

Night: At night, the story is totally reversed. We did a side by side ride for a few miles on southbound 385. Larry's Trucklight passing lamps lit up the side of the road, trees, overhead signs, etc.; but the HD lamps did a much better job of lighting the road and objects in the 100 yard to front wheel distance. The HD lamps also focus on a wide arc from left hand to right hand gulley . Larry's headlight is so bright that when he switched his passing lamps ON/OFF, it made a difference but not that much. It lit up the trees and overhead, but not so much more light the road. When my HD passing lamps were switched ON/OFF, there was no question when they were on or off.

Conclusion: I want a set of both. Trucklights like Larrys for daytime and HD's for nighttime. Since that's impractical, I'll stick with what I have for now. If starting over, I would probably try Larry's Trucklights first.

Ken"

Again, to be perfectly clear.... my interest is daylight riding. Here's a picture that Ken took to go with the above comparison...... his Ultra with the H-D LED lights is on the left as you look at the photo, Larry's Ultra with the Trucklight LED lights is on the right. There is a big difference with daytime visibility, especially considering that Ken's bike with the H-D lights is directly in front of the camera and Larry's bike with the Trucklights is not.... but still appear much brighter:

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
Hey Dave

Ya done a great job not only of the lights but the thread too. Love the looks of the new lighting, especially how it out powers the standard OEM lights. Clear to see & far more noticable during the day. A1 Class job.

Dare

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
I wouldn't get either since I love my $50 Ebay HID kit.

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
Is it that time of the month already PessiMiSm

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
DaveT, great write up, and thanks for the side by side views!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
DaveT,
Thanks for the write up and pics, was almost set on getting the HD's, but you just made up my mind, is that the only place to get the Trucklites or are they available from other sources?

·
Registered
115 Posts
truck lite LED headlight

I am a fan of LED headlight and have one on my car and 2 motorcycles, huge difference and very valuable safety addition to the bike. I considered the non-harley brand (Trucklite) because at $299 is an exceptional value. I went with the Harley brand for mostly the 4 beam set up (as opposed to many of the smaller LED bulbs in the trucklite headlight) but most importantly the lens on the Harley brand is glass and if i remember correctly trucklite was a plastic lens and the plastic lenses have propensity to cloud....but again for an almost $300 savings your value is much better with trucklite.....if you do not have an LED headlight get one...
p.s. I started out with one of those HID kits....they look great, but i had problems with the radio and lights that flicker off and required the bike to be completely shut down to turn them back on (and yes I used a relay.) this system failed me at night and i promptly threw it in the trash....$60 chinese HID is Big TImE JUNK

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
I've never had any problems with Ebay HID kits. They work well on all my vehicles including my bike. My car has projectors which work great with HID's since they have a perfect light pattern with a sharp cutoff line. I wish I could get a projector headlight for my bike but I've never seen them.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
I have the H-D led lights and they are outstanding ! Best part is the lens are focused so it puts the light were you need it . Has a nice cutoff and dip so you don't blind oncoming traffic.
I had a HID kit in my bike before the LEDs ,and yes it was bright. But it wasn't as focused and the light was all over the place. Definitely can see better with the LEDs .

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
HID's were essentially intended for use in projector headlights. But people started installing them in standard headlight housings which is why the light pattern is so scattered. As you know a bright light isn't useful if it doesn't cover the whole road.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts