V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I installed the new HD easy clutch kit on her 2002 road king this weekend. Total parts with kit, gaskets, and syn 3 oil was about $80. Well worth it, installation was easy and it greatly reduced clutch pull. I would seriously recommend it for the lady riders out there.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If I understand your post correctly, you had to buy gaskets in addition to the kit, right? Which ones? And the syn3 was for the transmission, right? Did you lube the clutch cable?

Thanks

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
they do work great for a stock bike.....I have installed a couple now and have had no complaints from anyone...simple procedure as well....

H

·
0 Posts
FXD-Tim said:
If I understand your post correctly, you had to buy gaskets in addition to the kit, right? Which ones? And the syn3 was for the transmission, right? Did you lube the clutch cable?

Thanks
I've installed the kit on my own bike,and two friends. They are definitely the way to go. I re-used the primary cover gasket in all three, with no problems, but replaced the clutch release cover gasket. My reasoning is that the primary gasket is relatively easy to get at if it does develop a leak, and the replacement is $30.00, so I was willing to take a chance. The clutch release cover is only a couple of dollars, and is easy to damage upon removal. Also, at least on the touring models, that side is the labor intensive side, because of the exhaust being in the way, so I'd rather not do it twice.

You drain both the primary and the transmission to do the install, so if you replace fluids, you'll need a quart for the primary and 20 ounces for the transmission.

Installation of the kit itself is very easy, the difference is clutch pull is quite dramatic.

As you'll have the cable slacked for the install, it's a good opportunity to lube the cable.

Harris

·
Registered
479 Posts
Harris,

Great information. Thank you. I feel a winter project coming on.

What would you recommend for lubing the clutch cable?

·
Harley Fanatic
1,058 Posts
Harris said:
I've installed the kit on my own bike,and two friends. They are definitely the way to go. I re-used the primary cover gasket in all three, with no problems, but replaced the clutch release cover gasket. My reasoning is that the primary gasket is relatively easy to get at if it does develop a leak, and the replacement is $30.00, so I was willing to take a chance. The clutch release cover is only a couple of dollars, and is easy to damage upon removal. Also, at least on the touring models, that side is the labor intensive side, because of the exhaust being in the way, so I'd rather not do it twice.

You drain both the primary and the transmission to do the install, so if you replace fluids, you'll need a quart for the primary and 20 ounces for the transmission.

Installation of the kit itself is very easy, the difference is clutch pull is quite dramatic.

As you'll have the cable slacked for the install, it's a good opportunity to lube the cable.

Harris
I already have the EZ pull on my bike, but a bud wants to put the HD set on. Has anyone installed the HD kit without the clutch pressure plate? Just wondered how much easier it would be with just the doodad at the clutch cable and not the pressure plate. He's got a cam and about 81 hp, didn't know if the pressure plate would slip on his bike. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Jerry

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually you replace the diaphram spring on the clutch side, not the pressure plates. I think that the spring is a big part of the reduced pull and not so much for the new release ramps.

HD always recommends replacing the gaskets, however its probally not nessessary and they are about $25, so it may be worth the chance without. You will need to drain both primary and tranny, so 2 quarts of oil required.

Its sure worth it if you have difficulty pulling or holding the clutch.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
I put the ramps in mine w/ the SE HD spring and the pull is about the same as a stock '05, so the ramps make a bit of difference.

H

·
0 Posts
I did mine in two steps. The ramps first. They made a difference for sure, but the spring really made it nice. The spring is the far easier part of the project. The exhaust is all on the clutch release side, and that's where all the time is.

Harris

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I wonder if the diaphram that comes with the kit would not allow slippage on a motor with 90hp/100tq. Maybe someone whose motor is around this hp/tq could try. Hell, if no one is willing to try I will do it when I get my bike back from the BB build.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I put the ramps in my '03 Dyna last weekend and I have to say I'm disappointed with the results. I have to imagine really hard that there is a noticable improvement. I may try changing the spring but I expect slipping with the mild mods I have (95" and 203 cams).
If I was going to do it over, I wouldn't. Or I would put in a White Bros Easyboy Lite.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I hope you lubed the clutch cable while installing the kit...We have the White Bros piece and it works great, the lever pull is almost to easy. :huh: K.I.S.S.

·
424 Posts
White Bros on a 2003 883 Sportster...Are there any known problems with adding the White Bros easy pull clutch kit in this Sportster??? I am thinking about putting it on the wifes bike....

·
Registered
479 Posts
Has anyone tried putting the White Bros. Easyboy Lite on the new HD ramps? It might be a way to reduce the effort significantly without changing the clutch spring.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
They are both the same thing. Harleys kit comes with the diaphram where WB is just the ramp for the clutch cable.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
I think that the HD unit is a great idea since it retains the same length of lever inside the transmission and yet has a more effective ramp. That way, you keep the same clutch release distance. The lighter clutch disc is an improvement also.

There are also some issues of poor fitment on the WB unit regarding the way the clutch cable engages the lever.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
RK05, they're not the same thing. The Easyboy is an extension that bolts to the stock ramp that lengthens the lever arm. It is not a ramp.

The Harley kit is an inner and outer ramp assembly with 18 degree ramps vs the old 21 degree ramps and the lighter diaphram spring.

No reason you couldn't use them together.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
They both effectively shorten the throw of the rod, so your clutch would drag like a stone b!tch if you used both, I'd think...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts