V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have considered getting a tattoo for many years but I have never found anything I felt comfortable with embedding in my skin for the rest of my life. I certainly wouldn't want to pick something from the flash at the tattoo shop. Some of it is really nice artwork but none of it has any meaning for me. I have some ideas about putting the names of my children in to a tattoo, but to do that it would have to be something truly incredible and representative of my relationship with them.

What kind of inspiration did you have for your tattoos?

Am I overthinking this?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I am in the same boat as you, would like to get one, but it needs to mean something

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in the same boat as you, would like to get one, but it needs to mean something
Yeah I don't want barbed wire, tribal patterns, Chinese characters etc. I don't understand why people fall in to these fads with something that is so permanent. Seriously, why would a white guy put Chinese characters on his body? What tribe do these people think they belong to? Who wants something that symbolizes prisons and farm animals on their body? I know it's not me. And the Harley tattoos are some of the worst, why brand yourself with a corporate logo?

OK, off my soap box. Still trying to figure out what I want, good luck on your search as well.

Attachments

·
Iron Butt
878 Posts
I made a run out to Sturgis in August & saw a couple of tattoo parlors & went in one to browse. An artist asked me what I as looking for & I told him I had no idea. He showed me his portfolio & I thumbed thru it. I found one with a heart & a couple of ribbons running around & under it with names on them & asked how much. He said, "a deuce" & I said, "later." I moseyed down the street to another & found a similar design & the artist said "a buck & a half & about 45 minutes." I had him draw it up & put my 2 daughters' names top & bottom & my GF's name in the middle so I went for it.
I did the upper left arm & it hurt like hell but I lived thru it, took care of it like the artist told me & I've gotten a couple of nice compliments on it. Couple of weeks ago, somebody posted a pic of a bald eagle's head with the US Flag imposed over it on my facebook & I thought it looked sweet, so I went to a local parlor & chatted up the artist. He modified the original & drew it up & showed me & I went for it. It was started last Friday & after 2.5 hours he asked me to come back in a couple of weeks for finishing the colors. Three months ago I was an old white guy with no ink, now I've got both upper arms done...I'll edit the post with the pix later, as I'm at work & don't have that option...

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
I made a run out to Sturgis in August & saw a couple of tattoo parlors & went in one to browse. An artist asked me what I as looking for & I told him I had no idea. He showed me his portfolio & I thumbed thru it. I found one with a heart & a couple of ribbons running around & under it with names on them & asked how much. He said, "a deuce" & I said, "later." I moseyed down the street to another & found a similar design & the artist said "a buck & a half & about 45 minutes." I had him draw it up & put my 2 daughters' names top & bottom & my GF's name in the middle so I went for it.
I did the upper left arm & it hurt like hell but I lived thru it, took care of it like the artist told me & I've gotten a couple of nice compliments on it. Couple of weeks ago, somebody posted a pic of a bald eagle's head with the US Flag imposed over it on my facebook & I thought it looked sweet, so I went to a local parlor & chatted up the artist. He modified the original & drew it up & showed me & I went for it. It was started last Friday & after 2.5 hours he asked me to come back in a couple of weeks for finishing the colors. Three months ago I was an old white guy with no ink, now I've got both upper arms done...I'll edit the post with the pix later, as I'm at work & don't have that option...
Welcome to the club. I started late but now have about 50 hours of needle work on my body. Beware, this kind of thing can get addictive.

One word of advice to those of you who have been thinking about it but shy away because of the pain involved. First, the pain is not that much except in certain very sensitive areas. It is more annoying than painful. But here is a trick I learned through experience. One can either "endure" the pain or "experience" the pain. If you "endure" the pain, it is going to be terrible. You'll suffer through every minute. But if you go in there with the idea of "experiencing" the pain, seeing what it feels like, understanding this is part of the process and that you are more than capable of experiencing this, the pain will not be as bad. In both cases the level of pain is the same. It is all how you frame it in your mind, as something terrible or as something you have to go through and are going to see what this is about.

And for slowitdown, you are not "overthinking" this. This is all part of your process and how you go about this. Take as long as you need. For some it happens in an instance, others have to think long and hard about it. I thought about this long and hard for many years. I kept thinking until something made sense to me. And when it did, I knew it. In some ways it is no different than picking out clothes. It is all about what you want to wear on your body and what feels comfortable to you. Try to imagine how you want to look when you look at yourself in the mirror.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I got my first tattoo in some dudes basement when I was 15 thought it would be cool turns out not so much got a handful after that no inspiration needed just a kid goofin off I honestly don't even see them anymore they just become part of who you are when people ask why you do that I don't have no answer but they do remind me of specific times in my life I don't think it's a big deal unless you work in a bank or some **** and you got demons on your hands enjoy your experience its just a little ink under the skin

·
Registered
95 Posts
People undervalue flash. Depending on where you go the flash on the wall can hold a lot of history and be very cool. Im not talking shitty tribal scratcher stuff either. Ive gotten flash off the walls from world class tattooers and i like those tattoos bettet then some others i have. Look on great lakes tattoo in chicago on google of facebook. I wouldnt hesitate to walk in and pick any artist and any piece flash on the wall

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ill let you know now, no matter how awesome of a tattoo you find, 6,12 or 24 months later you will of found something else you will like better everyone's ideas on what they like will forever change through the years.

That's why I think every time I hear sone one say that can never decide on the right tattoo, is because as time passes, so do their ideas, and the idea that you will never find "the right" tattoo.

From my chin to my toes, I've filled in every inch except for a piece on my stomach, ass and my while right leg, And over the years I could think of a million different designs I would of liked over what I got

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,382 Posts
I've been half-assed wanting one for a long time. I've known for about 20 years what I'd want it to be (a particular snapshot of my wife). I guess it just hasn't been important enough to me to actually go get it done.

The comment about changing taste plays into this too; I recently retired my ear ring. I now have a 34 year old hole in my ear that doesn't do anything but whistle in the wind.

joe

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I feel much the same way, I have only one tattoo for the birth of my daughter. I love seeing everyone's ink but I see far too many people who get a tattoo just because they think it's cool or some other meaningless reason then regret it later..

·
Registered
163 Posts
I and my sons all have a bunch.One of my favorites is the Dave Mann on my back.Its unfinished as my artist/friend that was doing it died 1/2 way thru.I will have it finished someday if I find someone I trust.Rocky

·
Registered
42 Posts
Of the 70% or so of my body covered, I only have one small meaningful tattoo. 10 years of getting them and I don't regret any. Not everybody cares about color pigmentation in their skin, or care/worry about what other people think. People who regret their tattoos only regret them because they care what others think of what they look like, and they only got them because they care what others think of then (wanting to fit in). But having/or not having meaningful tattoos has got nothing to do with people regretting them

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,382 Posts
Of the 70% or so of my body covered, I only have one small meaningful tattoo. 10 years of getting them and I don't regret any. Not everybody cares about color pigmentation in their skin, or care/worry about what other people think. People who regret their tattoos only regret them because they care what others think of what they look like, and they only got them because they care what others think of then (wanting to fit in). But having/or not having meaningful tattoos has got nothing to do with people regretting them

I bet that, somewhere out there, somebody regrets getting ink just because THEY don't like it; regardless of the neighbors' opinions.

joe

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bet that, somewhere out there, somebody regrets getting ink just because THEY don't like it; regardless of the neighbors' opinions.

joe

I'm sure there is, but I think for the majority, the reason that particular crowd regrets their tattoo/s is the same reason they got them in the first place, they care too much about what others think.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,382 Posts
I'm sure there is, but I think for the majority, the reason that particular crowd regrets their tattoo/s is the same reason they got them in the first place, they care too much about what others think.

Band wagons and fads are great, ain't they?

joe

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,382 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts