V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my inner primary off because that main shaft oil seal leaked. While I was in there I also went to a smaller pulley to gear my bike down. Anyway, my bike has 26,000 miles on it. I was going to change the seal, I know HD has an updated number. What about the bearing? If you change the bearing do you have to change the inner race that is on the shaft too. I would think that is normal procedure?? I purchased the Zippers replacement bearing and seal. To use that the race must come off and I dont have the proper tool, but would buy it from Georges Garage if I must. But if you think that just changing the seal is cool at 26,000 I will go with that?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The replacement bearing is the better way to go in particular since you already have it, even if you have to pull the race from the input shaft.

The tool can be improvised for a one time use if buying it is a burden.

If it were necessary to reassemble it with the original bearing it wouldn't be a major risk either at that mileage.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Take a look at tranny shifter seal. They seem to have a habit of leaking. I got inner off right now too. Ordered seals and gaskets yeasterday from Cometic, 2 day lead time.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks man there is no doubt the leak was coming from the mainshaft oil seal the outside of the inner primary was a mess back there. Sand and oil.
I have already bought a Zippers bearing and seal. The zippers bearing is a sealed bearing and uses a different seal the the HD one. I only live 45 minutes form an HD dealer were I could pick up the new updated mainshaft oil seal.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I wasn't doubting the main seal was leaking. Just saying take a close look at tranny shifter while you got the cover off.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts