V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I replaced my outer primary with a chrome cousin. I installed forward controls on my 04 dyna superglide that had mid-controls. does any one have an idea or a method to remove the shifter shaft from the inner primary as it serves no purpose once the forward controls are installed, without the hassle of removing the inner primary ? and once removed, to seal the shifter hole on the inner primary that held the shaft ? seems like a hassle, but removing this would give me a clean look on the outer primary, with a smooth inspection cover. Thanks for the help. ride safe and often !!!!?prty:

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I asked this question about my 05 low rider to my dealer recently. After speaking with a guy from service, it would seem a bit expensive to do this. You do have to remove the inner primary to remove the shaft. You would then replace it with another inner primary that doesn't have a hole, such as one for a Wide Glide. I figured just cutting the shaft off in the primary might do the trick but the tech told me it would leak due to no support. As a consolation, a chrome inner primary is actually cheaper than the crinkle black one.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Involved process

Correct in the statement that it will take a different inner primary without the shaft to get where you want to be with no leaks. This is a fairly involved process due to having to remove the clutch pack, primary compensator assy and sometimes the stator and rotor. The compensator assy torks at 165 ft. lbs so it requires an air impact and a special tool to lock down the primary (this can be made out of a piece of hard phenolic if you don't want to buy 1). Not a job for someone who doubts his abilities, but for the mechanical minded, probably about an hour and a half job by the time you readjust the clutch and cable tension, refill the primary case, etc. Main thing is getting the o ring back in place behind the inner primary, and be sure to get that compensator and clutch pack torqued tight enough, and use locktite where called for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
if you go to custom chrome or drag specialties they make an o-ringed plug that fills the hole in the inner primary that is held in place by the metal shift tube retainer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'll check that out. you wouldn't know the part # by chance ? the harley tech told me about a freeze plug for the hole, but i was kinda worried about that. if i go the route of a plug i wanted something held in place, by a bolt or screw or something, due to the shake, rattle and roll of the bike. hogs will discard anything not tightened down or held in place by loc tite ha ha ha.:thumbsup: I don't want to remove the inner due to the work involved, just like to have thet damn knub removed from my outer !

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
wildwillie said:
Hello all. I replaced my outer primary with a chrome cousin. I installed forward controls on my 04 dyna superglide that had mid-controls. does any one have an idea or a method to remove the shifter shaft from the inner primary as it serves no purpose once the forward controls are installed, without the hassle of removing the inner primary ? and once removed, to seal the shifter hole on the inner primary that held the shaft ? seems like a hassle, but removing this would give me a clean look on the outer primary, with a smooth inspection cover. Thanks for the help. ride safe and often !!!!?prty:
Welcome aboard Willie,

There have been several post on this and various ways to accomplish what you're try to do. Look at this post
or do a search on the board for "inner primary" under the advanced searches. I saw some 5-6 post covering this very subject.

Good luck..

o~\o

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
after pondering the thought of the work involved, this ole boy just put the chrome one on and left the shaft in place ! now on to my next project, the cam cover !~!Awesome!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Perhaps some sort of nut cover could be used on the shaft-end that protrudes from the outer primary. It would give it a cleaner look.

·
Registered
483 Posts
zoom cycle markets a dual o-ringed plug for that purpose. it is in the 05 catalog on page #697 pn vt-17-0650 and sells for about $40.00. I've been thinking about doing that my self. Your tech is right about having to remove the inner primary to remove the shaft though. I also kind of thought that you ncould remove the shaft cut the tube short and weld the open end shut. By shortening the tube it would take the wobble out of it, I would think. jim

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The footboard kit also replaces the mid controls. The kit solution is a short bracket that attaches to one of the case bolts and the shifter rod that remains in the primary.

On my '05 FXD, I chose to have the dealer remove the rod and plug the hole in the back of the primary. (Also a new "no holes" inspection plate.) As this leaves a much cleaner installation.

In addition, I had the dealer reinstall the compensator nut per the updated service procedures.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Texans link is leading towards what I am planning on doing. I just started to take my inner primary off. I am gong to cut the chaft and put a 13/16 set screw collar on there to hold it in place . You can buy the collar online from McMaster for aprox 7.95 (stainless steel). Shoulld work I think. I am planning on taking pics as I go if anyone is interested. I already bout the blank inspection cover plate at the HD dealership it was like 20 bucks # 60572-86

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
hotshotfxdl said:
Texans link is leading towards what I am planning on doing. I just started to take my inner primary off. I am gong to cut the chaft and put a 13/16 set screw collar on there to hold it in place . You can buy the collar online from McMaster for aprox 7.95 (stainless steel). Shoulld work I think. I am planning on taking pics as I go if anyone is interested. I already bout the blank inspection cover plate at the HD dealership it was like 20 bucks # 60572-86
UPDATE
Today I got my primary all apart and saw that the tube that the shifter arm ran through was just plastic. That being said I took a different approach then the one I have discribed earlier. I am attaching pictures for those who might be interested. I think there is a very simple clean solution for getting ride of the shifter hole in the inspection plate. First I took the plastic tube and in the end that faced the motor I threaded in a pipe fitting. Then I cut the plastic to to the second notch on the tube. This allows the clip to retain the plastic tube when it is placed in it's stock location. With the pipe fitting out of the tube I put it in the stock location using the stock bracket. Ifilled the plastic tube with silicone and threaded the pipe fitting in from the back. I then wiped the excess silicone off.I think that will do the trick.

·
You don't say?
422 Posts
Brilliant!

That's a great idea hotshot! I used a rubber freeze plug and silicone, but your idea should be fool proof. I'm doing the 3.37 gearing and will give your idea a shot. Do you recall what size pipe fitting you used?

Thanks!

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
I just used something I had laying around and I was never good at pipe threads. I came in from the back that way nothing could fall in the case. Also pre thread it a few times before assembly. When I assembled it and threaded it in it expands for a nice tight fit. Good Luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts