V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the inner primary seal on my 01 FXD with 8,000 miles is leaking.I'm getting a few drops of oil around the drain plug after a long ride. I first thought it was coming from the tranny vent but there is no oil residue on the vent tube and the oil leaking doesn't smell like gear lube. The oil is pretty clean so that rules out engine oil.If it is the inner primary seal what could have caused it to leak after only 8,000 miles?Will this require the removal of the inner primary? Is there anything else that it could possibly be? Is this a job a novice should try? Sorry about all the questions. Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hippo,you are very helpful to a lot of people here. I'm really going to show my ignorance,but what is the jackshaft? Thanks!!:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I know what you are talking about now. If it is the jackshaft seal or inner primary seal what could have caused it to be leaking already? If it was something that I caused I don't want to make the same mistake twice. Thanks again Hippo !!!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Just **** that happens. No control over it. The jackshafts sometimes have burrs on them and you want to look at it real close or it will just cut the seal again. The other places to check are the mainshaft seal and the two bolts that go into the engine cases and the three that go into the gearbox cases. They have to be sealed with high temp black silicone.

You can also spray the area with tracing powder after cleaning it well and ride the bike some to nail the leak down. You can get the tracing powder from a machinists supply place, or you can use some of that "Secret" womens deodorant as a cheap substitute.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hippo I have a TP107" motor, mikuni carb, and an s&s trans. case with andrews gears I think, PrimoRevera Pro Clutch and primary chain.

I went to the Laughlin River Run last week, right before I had my carb dyno tuned by my local HD shop. It has been slowly leaking from the bottom of my primary and I asked them to check it out while on the dyno. Neadless to say nothing was mentioned about so I took that as there was nothing wrong.

We stayed in Vegas and rode through the desert about a 100 mile trip. Every time we stopped it was leaking pretty heavily from the bottom of the primary towards the front, but there are two square little almost vent looking things(this is also a custom primary cover, made by confederate). Oil all over the rear swingarm and tire. I was nervous, very nervous. I think it's the tranny because of the vibration that soon followed, and the motor oil level seemed fine.

At one of the stops someone suggested that his bike had the mainshaft seal go out and leak profusely from the primary.

Does this sound like mainshaft seal to you? Is this something that I should attempt? I have been trying to get some kind of specs because it is somewhat of an "off the shelf custom" but it has been difficult to say the least.

I am leary of going back to the HD shop because so far the kind service has led to more problems than I care to get into right now, and all I ended up fixing on my own. I have been a wrench but I am new to the total working of a v-twin evo. So far I have researched this has been accomplished by alot of people who are new to the mechanics as well.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Bub,
You need to make the back of the inner primary,and the area around the drain plug hospital clean and dry.Put the bike on a jack,and run it.Don't drive it,because the air will blow the oil all over.You may have to run it several times to see where the leak is.Use a large mirror and light.If it is the primary bearing seal,chances are the bushing moved or is starting to move on the output shaft.I have a good fix for it.
John
Primary chain misalignment and/or holeshots generally cause that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
johnsachs said:
Bub,
You need to make the back of the inner primary,and the area around the drain plug hospital clean and dry.Put the bike on a jack,and run it.Don't drive it,because the air will blow the oil all over.You may have to run it several times to see where the leak is.Use a large mirror and light.If it is the primary bearing seal,chances are the bushing moved or is starting to move on the output shaft.I have a good fix for it.
John
Primary chain misalignment and/or holeshots generally cause that.
Johnsachs:

What is your fiX? I am interested due to problems with this same thing on my RG with 116 motor and Baker 6 speed.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Myself,and several others modify a bearing,and use a seal that ELIMINATES the bushing,that gives heartburn,to fit in the inner primary,and snug to the output shaft.Works like a champ.
John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts