V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Tony Kebhart
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to change cams here real soon and am going to use a pilot bearing puller to remove the inner cam bearings. The pilot bearing puller that I have pulls bearing from 1/2" - 2". Is that going to be small enough?

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
akebhart said:
I am going to change cams here real soon and am going to use a pilot bearing puller to remove the inner cam bearings. The pilot bearing puller that I have pulls bearing from 1/2" - 2". Is that going to be small enough?

Respectfully, that area of the crankcase is EXTREMELY SENSITIVE. I wouldn't use anything other than the correct HD, JIMS, or other brand tools built for the purpose. Furthermore, re-installing the bearings can easily be done improperly without the correct tools. You really can't just "tap" them back in. They must go to the proper depth without being deformed or angled in.

I believe that there are sources where you can rent the tools.

I presume you are going to use Torrington B-148's for your replacements.

My 2 cents.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
@gree:
Get the proper tools. A lot cheaper than the cost of repair if somthing is screwed up. I have played that game before and it can get expensive.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Not where I would try to save money I would never attempt it without the correct tools. Be sure to get the kit that removes and installs the needle bearings. It's a Jim's kit. I have attached a picture of the remove tool the previous post shows the install tool.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I think that its a job you may well want to farm out to the pro's...... You can swap out the cam bearings and get the cam chain tension shoes done for about 4 to 5 hundred bucks ..That is what i paid....

.as the saying goes ,, dont try this at home. Nothing is more expensive than you fixed it , before they have to fix it......There are lots of ways to save money on your harley ,,, digging into the cam bearings and cam chain tension shoes aint one of them......rat

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
I just recieved my bike back from the dealer yesterday.

I removed the top end, cam cover and lifters. I supplied the cams, install kit, baisley spring & they suppied the inner bearings. Total cost was $198 and took 1 day.

I had intended to pull the cam support, then decided if I had trouble any where, it would be at this point and just decided to have them do all of that portion. I had even bought the tools to pull and reinstall the support, O'well.

Good luck

Chris

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
akebhart said:
I bought the install and replacement tool on eBay. Both cost me $120 .
Worked great!

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
With the tools be it the 2 in 1, or both the puller, and installer are cheap and can be re sold or lent around. It is not too big a deal but you do need to have some mechanical aptitude.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
<-------------Try a sponsor, George's Garage, all H-D tools (also sells on *bay*)

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
As an after thought are you going to gears? You do need a press for them and then also to get the bearings in the cam plate. I am sure there are home brew ways of doing this, such as the heat and cold method on HH web site. Those inner bearings, if they come apart, you will be splitting cases, much more of a Russian Roulette then cir clips, and open jug holes when installing them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
LAF said:
As an after thought are you going to gears? You do need a press for them and then also to get the bearings in the cam plate. I am sure there are home brew ways of doing this, such as the heat and cold method on HH web site. Those inner bearings, if they come apart, you will be splitting cases, much more of a Russian Roulette then cir clips, and open jug holes when installing them.
All you need is the oven and a freezer, NO need for presses.
Just freeze the cams for 30 mins and heat the bearings in the oven at 350 for 20 or 30 mins and drop them on. Let cool to ambient temp. repeat for cam plate. heat plate, cool cams. Works great.

·
Tony Kebhart
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought the proper Install tool(Which I bought from Georges our cool sponsor) for the inner cam bearings....I never intended to tap those in....but you have all given me food for thought with the removal....i looked into the renting the tools and found only one place that would do it...and they wanted a $600.00 deposit. Screw that!! as far as the type of bearings I was just going to get the andrews installation kit or the screamin eagle one...prolly the andrews as i am using andrews cams. Also am sticking with with the chain drive. I realize that gear drive is better...but budget is limited and would rather put the extra money into a 95" build up.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
The_Snowman said:
<-------------Try a sponsor, George's Garage, all H-D tools (also sells on *bay*)
I second that! Quality tools at a great price and fast shipping. I will buy from him again without a doubt.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Tony... I ended up getting the H-D gasket kit and two of the Torrengton B-148s to replace the inner bearings from the dealer. Appears to me the kit is complete with ALL gaskets and o-rings we'll need. I have not seen the contents of the kit Andrews offeres, but the Cams came with the roller and ball bearings they need. I ended up ordering the tools from Georges Garage as well. I'll be using the oven/freezer method to replace my Cams.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
OK - so here comes a dumb question

I have about 4500 miles on the bone stock 88" - if I were to drop in a set of cams now - should I put new bearings in?

I'm figuring anytime cams are swapped bearings should be replaced and I know this would be the best choice for one of the first perfomance upgrades - but I have tossed the thought around and if I can swap out the cams now myself without doing the bearings - why not?

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
LMM said:

I have about 4500 miles on the bone stock 88" - if I were to drop in a set of cams now - should I put new bearings in?

I'm figuring anytime cams are swapped bearings should be replaced and I know this would be the best choice for one of the first perfomance upgrades - but I have tossed the thought around and if I can swap out the cams now myself without doing the bearings - why not?
Replace stock bearing with Torrrington B148, they are a cheap insurance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
LMM said:

'05 w/12,000 miles. You bet I'm going Torringtons while I'm in there. They can be bought for less than $13 for both. Oh, and that was a great question!

This is definately a budget build for now tho. Keeping OEM oil pump, tappets, cylinders, and heads.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts