V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should have my SERT Monday and will load up the canned map for the Stage I air cleaner and SE slip-ons as a starting point. I'm guessing this should be close even though I have the Cobra pipes.

I'll ride it around for a day or two with this map to see how it acts, but are there any tweaks to it I could or should make beyond what the canned map provides that would make things a little better?

The bike is a '05 Super Glide

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
This worked real good on my 05 Fatboy with Stage 1 air cleaner and a Python 2-1 pipe. Not sure if there is a big difference in the pipes, yours should flow decently and improve well with these tweaks. This will also get rid of any decel pop.

Take the stage 1 map, Advanced Tuning Mode:
Main AFR table - Take the cells in red that are at 14.5 - decrement to 14.2.

VE Tables - Add 2 to all the cells in the first 2 columns in front and rear

Decel Enleanment Table - decrement all cells .25, but don't go below 0.00

This turns out to be just slightly richer than the canned stage one. Plugs look perfect on my bike with this tune.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Michrider said:
This worked real good on my 05 Fatboy with Stage 1 air cleaner and a Python 2-1 pipe. Not sure if there is a big difference in the pipes, yours should flow decently and improve well with these tweaks. This will also get rid of any decel pop.

This turns out to be just slightly richer than the canned stage one. Plugs look perfect on my bike with this tune.
If you really want to get rid of the decel popping add 5 degrees advance to both front and rear cyl in the 20 and 30 columns from 1250 to 3000 RPM. The highest vacumn will only be created on decel. Normal running ranges are above 30. This will draw the flame back into the cyl where it belongs, thus no popping in the pipes. Worked for me.......

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Michrider said:

Just flashed it with your map and it runs good. Changed the plugs also for good measure. Too cold out to ride it for more than about 20 minutes, but from what I can tell it's better than it was. Didn't have anyplace to really open it up, so have to wait until I can get out on the highway.

One big difference is the loud pop I had on trailing throttle with the DFO went away.

BTW, for all those doing this for the first time, be sure to RTFM and have that Run switch on. :hmmm:

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
People with '06 Dynas should know that their bikes call for a different procedure. The AFR values must be at 14.6 or you are not running in closed loop mode. If you want to richen up the mixture, you do it in the "Closed-Loop Bias" table by altering the voltage to the O2 sensors.

Just thought it was worth mentioning.

·
Habitual **************.
234 Posts
MinesWide said:
If you really want to get rid of the decel popping add 5 degrees advance to both front and rear cyl in the 20 and 30 columns from 1250 to 3000 RPM. The highest vacumn will only be created on decel. Normal running ranges are above 30. This will draw the flame back into the cyl where it belongs, thus no popping in the pipes. Worked for me.......
Bingo Sparky! You win the prize!
RB

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Didn't mess with advancing anything right now because I don't have any popping. Rode to work today and it does seem to run a little smoother and pulls stronger. Seems to have a little deeper tone also. Besides getting rid of the popping I had with the DFO, I also noticed I no longer hear pinging under load.

·
Registered
33 Posts
jrehm said:
Didn't mess with advancing anything right now because I don't have any popping. Rode to work today and it does seem to run a little smoother and pulls stronger. Seems to have a little deeper tone also. Besides getting rid of the popping I had with the DFO, I also noticed I no longer hear pinging under load.
I tried for almost 2 years to get rid of the decel popping and finally tried the advance thing, but I've got a ThunderHeader and they seem to cause more popping than most. I think they have better scavenging than most. I did all the other adjustments and they helped but couldn't get rid of all the popping till I did the advance thing. As a last resort I advanced it in those areas and it worked. So if a guy can't get rid of the popping I encourage them to advance the timing in those areas. Glad to hear your bike runs fine without. Just keep it in mind as a last resort thing. Advancing in those areas won't hurt it because it's only on decel that the vacumn is high enough to change the advance, sucking the flame back into the motor where it belongs.

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I will have to try it since I did get a pop out of it once today. Wasn't as bad as before, but it did do it. Hit or miss now rather than every time.

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Going to do the advance thing later today, but one question... should I have the knock detection on or off? Also, I noticed that when I load a previous map that was saved with detection off, it is back on again.

·
Habitual **************.
234 Posts
jrehm said:
Going to do the advance thing later today, but one question... should I have the knock detection on or off? Also, I noticed that when I load a previous map that was saved with detection off, it is back on again.
Here's a shortcut. Cut and paste the rear cylinder timing table from 105HD019 into both cylinders on your map. Zero the decell enleanment, all cells. Turn the knock sensor on, it does work. Decell pop will be history, not to mention your idle exhaust temps will drop dramaticaly and your throttle responce will be great. Share this with no one!
RB

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Road Bag said:
Here's a shortcut. Cut and paste the rear cylinder timing table from 105HD019 into both cylinders on your map. Zero the decell enleanment, all cells. Turn the knock sensor on, it does work. Decell pop will be history, not to mention your idle exhaust temps will drop dramaticaly and your throttle responce will be great. Share this with no one!
RB
Is this in addition to what was posted earlier, or do this to 127HO103 and leave everything else as is?

·
Habitual **************.
234 Posts
jrehm said:
Is this in addition to what was posted earlier, or do this to 127HO103 and leave everything else as is?
Use the timing tables from 105 as is. Its the most aggressive timing table of any canned map. There is no need for any decell enleanment other than emmisions. Zero it and be done. What was the other question? Oh ya, shhhh.
RB

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Road Bag said:
Use the timing tables from 105 as is. Its the most aggressive timing table of any canned map. There is no need for any decell enleanment other than emmisions. Zero it and be done. What was the other question? Oh ya, shhhh.
RB
So, you're saying don't do this:

·
Habitual **************.
234 Posts
jrehm said:
So, you're saying don't do this:

Those minor AFR and VE tweaks are fine, but know that its the timing advancements that are going to end your decell poping issues and cool your engine at idle. Are you up to date on that cut and paste process to swipe that timing table out of the 105 map and into yours?
RB

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Make sure all your exhaust connections are tight. Any exhaust leaks, especially at the head will cause pops no tuning can get rid of.

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea, I'm gonna change the exhaust gaskets just in case, as I still get a minor pop, even with the advance.

Not sure quite yet, but the thing seems to not run quite after doing the cut and past on the advance tables. Rechecked and made sure the values were correct and flashed it again. No difference.

Gonna go back to the original map before the advance and see if it's just me or there is a difference.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts