V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good indy in northern Illinois or southern Wis? I am looking to try to get a 95" build on my springer classic while i am deployed to Afghanistan. Thanks

·
Another Old Fart
241 Posts
Give Otto a call, he does great work.
Engines by Otto
Sugar Grove Il
630-466-3900

·
Registered
27 Posts
one word "OTTO"

Get a hold of OTTO (V-Twin F member), your in Waukegan, Otto is about a 2 hr ride for you BUT you will not be disappointed, period. Totenkauf (V-Twin F member) might be able to chime in on this.
I witnessed this man assemble a 120" ? motor in what seemed like 1.5 work days and run it. He's been racing HD's for a long time. Knows his stuff.
sj:thumbsup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey Chi

Don't want to steal the thread here, but How's the 440 shocks after 6 months or so? How many miles you got on them?
sj

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Buckhog said:
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good indy in northern Illinois or southern Wis? I am looking to try to get a 95" build on my springer classic while i am deployed to Afghanistan. Thanks
Howdy, what timeframe are you looking at?

sjnorte, did you live around this neck of the woods? I think you're referring to the 5.25" stroke Big Twin 120" motor, that one is retired now. We're putting together a 140" motor 4.5 x 4.375" to replace it.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Shop in Chicago

Engines by Otto.

·
Registered
474 Posts
chi-town said:
Give Otto a call, he does great work.
Engines by Otto
Sugar Grove Il
630-466-3900
Nuff Said!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Tote

Use to know most stealers before they went to the boutique style showroom. Did a stint in parts at Otto's old stealer. Otto is an amazing wrench! Steve (ZZ) the Parts Mgr. over at Wildfire is an old HS and good friend as well. HD knowledgable as well.
Grew up in Chicago and NW burbs. 50+ years. Needed a winter change. So in June 05 the wife and I quit our real jobs,sold,packed and shipped the house. Wife and I switched off the chaser as she rides also. We were being gypsies, took 3 months off taking it easy, all over the Western Rockies, the Southwest and Northern California with 2 HD bikes in tow. Bike riding all the time stopping for weeks at a time. Got here in SoCal in Sept.05.
By the way, Is that friendly tavern still on Bartlet Rd and Schaumburg Rd? Know it well..
{salute(
Steve N.
Life is too short

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
totenkopf

totenkopf,
I am looking to return to the States sometime in mid Nov. I have to ride it up from Oklahoma and probably wont be able to ride much after(weather), so pretty much Dec time frame.
Everybody else, thanks for the input. Could anybody recommend components for the build?

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Ya can't go wrong with the 37G build it's proven itself time and again.

If ya call Otto when ya get back he'll recommend components. Are ya looking for all-around power, low end grunt, or high horsepower-high rpm's in the build?

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
sjnorte said:
Use to know most stealers before they went to the boutique style showroom. Did a stint in parts at Otto's old stealer. Otto is an amazing wrench! Steve (ZZ) the Parts Mgr. over at Wildfire is an old HS and good friend as well. HD knowledgable as well.
Grew up in Chicago and NW burbs. 50+ years. Needed a winter change. So in June 05 the wife and I quit our real jobs,sold,packed and shipped the house. Wife and I switched off the chaser as she rides also. We were being gypsies, took 3 months off taking it easy, all over the Western Rockies, the Southwest and Northern California with 2 HD bikes in tow. Bike riding all the time stopping for weeks at a time. Got here in SoCal in Sept.05.
By the way, Is that friendly tavern still on Bartlet Rd and Schaumburg Rd? Know it well..
{salute(
Steve N.
Life is too short
yep, had to be Fischers on Chicago St? Otto got out of the "stealer" scene when they went boutique/car dealer. He can't tolerate it. So, he now has a real bike shop. I was with Steve 2 weekends ago up at Union Grove, he stayed in our pit area, we had a national points meet there, that was fun! Otto got the bike tuned well enough to the conditions to be #1 qualifier.

The friendly tavern at Bartlett and Streamwood you mean? It's still there.

By the way, I mentioned your post to him yesterday and he had a puzzled look on his face. He wasn;t quite sure who it could be that knew about the 1.5 day 120 build. I'm sure that now with more information, he'll know exactly who you are.

Buckhog, that's a good timeframe. Just figure out what mission you want this 95 to do and then figure out a budget you can live with. With that information, a good build is easy. I'm assuming it is the bike in your profile, the '05 Springer. As far as parts, look at my signature line, we fiddled with my build a little bit but it's basically a very straight forward 95" build. And it runs great! Be safe! and contact Otto when you're ready.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts