V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I just wanted to share with you a ride experience and ask for your opinion.
Over the weekend i drove my sporty over highway 35 that goes from SF to Palo Alto and then took highway 9 that goes all the way down to Santa Cruz. It is a beautiful ride. Tons of bikes, almost no cars....a biker heaven.
On my way to SC i stopped at Alice's as usual (a bikers diner on H 35) and of course I started to check out everybody's bikes. Beautiful pieces of art....almost every HD model was displayed, all unique with its own custom parts and elegant paint jobs. While I was staring at all these HDs all the sudden a group of 4 Indians come towards me at there it hit me... Indians are UGLY!!!
Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to offend anybody that owns or likes Indian bikes, I am just expressing my esthetic point of view.
There is one of everything on these bikes, the design couldn't be heavier. Horrible and I say horrible headlights and overcromed (i just invented a new word) parts. I didn't even know that you could overcrome your bike's parts....I
Again this is just my point of view and you can agree with me or not. I am not making any statement about their engines, reliability etc. I am just saying flat out that their design SUCKS no matter what model you are looking at.
Since we are kind of a family i just wanted to find out what is your opinion.

Again, please don't be offended if I just trashed your bike but I am a Harley boy what do you expect ;)

G
Crazy Italian

·
Registered
99 Posts
You didn't mention if these were the new generation bikes or the oldies. I'm now considering my first bike and the new 02' Chief is a contender to the softail heritage I've been looking at.
I think the fender skirts, fork rake as well as the teardrop lamp definitely set them off from the rest.
Hwy 35 will be one of the first spots I hit when I get the rig. It is a nice stretch of pavement.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm not sure if your talking about the new Indians or the older ones, but I have to say that I love the look of the old Indians, there's just something about them. As for the new ones I have'nt seen one in person yet, only in the magazines, but from what I've seen I'm not too impressed with the new ones.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I don't think they look all that bad but they definetly need to do something about those front fenders. That Indian head on the fender looks like a big zit or wart(ugly).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did mean the new geneartion ones....sorry. They were all new. One of them was a Ugly copper/rusty metallic color. :eek:

I hope to see you all on the road.

G
Crazy Italian

·
Registered
48 Posts
I disagree. I happen to like the styling of the new Indian. Not only the Chief but the Scout and it's siblings. I would go to the extreme and say they are unique looking and even beautiful.

The reasons I couldn't own one however are many. First, is performance. The S&S is just an EVO clone and frankly doesn't hold a candle to it in performance. They're new 100ci motor-----well, we'll see. Second, no fuel injection. In the Rocky Mountains, that is important to me. Third, the brakes are poor----bordering unsafe. Fourth, price. Too expensive for a bike that has many faults. Last, but certainly not least, until Indian proves it is a viable entity in an industry that has just puked 4 or 5 other American motorcycle manufacturers (read: Exelsior Henderson, Ultra, Illusion, etc...), I believe Indian will have a long hard road to travel.

But to look at------I think they are beauties.

My .02

Mike M

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike M and all, thanks for your comments. I think it is great that on this board we can have a constructive conversation on our completely different point of views. I didn't want to look like a smart a.....s or something i just wanted to share with you my thoughts and know your opinion.

This is great!

See you on the road,

G
Crazy Italian

·
Registered
86 Posts
The more I see of the V-rod the more I like the new Indians. If HD realy pushes the V-rod on us, I think more and more will return to the reservation and leave HD wondering what the hell happened.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After reading this thread I searched the web for Indian. I must say, I liked what I saw on the webpage. Not so much the Chief but the Scout and Spirit are nice looking. Maybe they are different in real, but they are not available here in Europe.
I agree with Mike M, to many short comings on the technical side but I also like the looks. I think Indian is on the right track and it's great that another great American motorcycle company is trying to come back.

I remember since I was a kid, at the famous Munich Oktoberfest was and still is a motorcycle show and they have two beautiful old Indians to attract people. I always like the bikes with the Indian Chief Head.

Vincent

1 - 9 of 9 Posts