V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read articles on indexing your spark plugs. Just wondering if anyone has taken the time to do this and if so, have you seen a difference?

·
Registered
192 Posts
After reading several articles (probably a lot of the same ones you did), I came away the impression indexing spark plugs provided about as much difference as using high end plug wires.

ie., no measurable difference.

Just my impression, so I didn't do either.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
In your run of the mill, everyday engine there's no benefit...but a high compression performance engine that you're trying to wring every last HP from it may be worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
I agee......If your looking to get every last bit of hp out of your high compression, high performance motor, it may make a difference depending on the chamber shape and piston design. It is not going to give you a bunch of hp.....but it is going to help with efficency of the chamber burn. For a stock or mildley modified motor......it may not make a difference.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
.....as well as to keep things from hitting each other - which is the MAIN reason I have ever indexed plugs!!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Agree about the minimal difference. At most, you might notice a fraction of a horse improvement. But I've talked to racers who claim better increases with the plugs indexed 180 degrees out. Go figure. I don't think it makes a difference worth the bother, IMHO.

·
Banned
871 Posts
2006_RoadGlide said:
I've read articles on indexing your spark plugs. Just wondering if anyone has taken the time to do this and if so, have you seen a difference?
No difference that you will notice riding it. You might gain one HP on the dyno. I tried doing it a few times, then decided t wasn't worth the effort. :)

·
Banned
871 Posts
pws said:
.....as well as to keep things from hitting each other - which is the MAIN reason I have ever indexed plugs!!
If your parts are getting so close that indexing the plugs is necessary, then you have more problems than just the plugs.... ;)

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Did a lot of plug indexing on my small block chevy's. Small chambers high dome pistons, if the electrode wasn't away from the piston, ugly,nasty and snarly things, happened in that hot dark hole. I do believe PWS has been there.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
pws said:
:huh: I must be missing something. :hmmm: Indexing plugs takes about five minutes. They don't have to be perfect, you've got about 20% either side of center to accomplish it. Maybe it just goes back to my drag racing days, ya think two plugs is a pain try eight. Seriously, I don't think I've used a indexing washer more than once on my bike. It might be a minimal gain, but if you do ten minimal things ya just might get em to add up to something worth while. Just my .02 ;) Go ahead, beat me up. I can take it....hehehehe:sofa:

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Hey Hey....I am right there with you Curly. It is a pretty simple process and every little bit adds up.

·
Banned
871 Posts
RoadKingCurley said:
:huh: I must be missing something. :hmmm: Indexing plugs takes about five minutes.
Yup, but in those five minutes I could have ridding about 8 miles! :D I'd rather be riding than wrenching... not that I don't like wrenching, but would rather do that in the winter. :)

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
ToddM said:
...but would rather do that in the winter. :)
:huh: How many times a year do you change plugs? Ya live in the North! Maybe once in the winter and once in the summer??:hmmm: :duh?: Oh well, ya can lead a horse to water...........:beatdh:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I noticed that the electrode was pointed completely away from the intake on my SEEG 103. Spent the 18 cents and turned them around. Considering the CVO heads are so big, I figured it couldn't hurt.
What I noticed is at idle it seems the firing pulses seem to be more pronounced. Like it is this immediate explosion, whereas maybe before it took more time for the flame to work around the head.
Anything off idle and cruising are the same and gas mileage seems the same @ 44mpg.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I always mark my plugs before i put them in and lo and behold everyone has ended up with the open end of the electrode facing the intake. Just lucky. I have put lots of miles on BMW oilheads and 99 models thru at least 2002 models had an inherant lean surge problem at steady throttle. indexing there plugs took care of most of the surging problem. I just got in the habit of checking them.

·
Banned
871 Posts
:roflback:
RoadKingCurley said:
:huh: How many times a year do you change plugs? Ya live in the North! Maybe once in the winter and once in the summer??:hmmm: :duh?: Oh well, ya can lead a horse to water...........:beatdh:

Once a year, in the spring. I know what you are getting at. Still, I will never be convinced that indexing plugs is worth even the small amount of time it takes, unless it's a drag bike where every fraction of HP is needed. It just doesn't make sense for a street bike, unless it's just done for bragging purposes... "Hey dude, I know a lot about performance... I index my plugs!" Kinda like how the RUBs brag about how much they spend to get good dyno numbers (on a bike that someone else built for them)... If you like the way your bike runs, who cares what other people think? JMHO.... :D

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
ToddM said:
:roflback:

Once a year, in the spring. I know what you are getting at. Still, I will never be convinced that indexing plugs is worth even the small amount of time it takes, unless it's a drag bike where every fraction of HP is needed. It just doesn't make sense for a street bike, unless it's just done for bragging purposes... "Hey dude, I know a lot about performance... I index my plugs!" Kinda like how the RUBs brag about how much they spend to get good dyno numbers (on a bike that someone else built for them)... If you like the way your bike runs, who cares what other people think? JMHO.... :D
:badmood: Well, first off, lets get one thing straight....other than the machining, which I can do most of if I had the equiptment, I build my own bikes. Have been for a long, long time, as I'm sure many of the other RUB's on this site do!! Do we take pride in that? Well I do!! Did you ever pull up at a bar or a run and look around at the other bikes and talk to the other people about what they've done to their bike's? It's part of the culture. And I like knowing what other's do to their bikes. Guess that makes me a RUB!! :thumbsup: Personally I don't care if you index your plugs or change them at all for that matter. Probably have the dealer do it anyway!!:duh?: :hystria:

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Another so called RUB here that turns his own wrenches, and takes the extra 5 minutes to index plugs ....I admit it. I wouldn't dream on having someone else put a wrench to my bike. Some people just like to ride, and thats cool.....other people, like me, love to try different things to see if they work......that is how you squeeze the few extra ponies out of the motor.....Not for bragging rights, but for personal satisfaction.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Not for bragging rights, but for personal satisfaction.
Yeah, but there ain't nothin wrong with braggin rights if ya done it yourself!!!:thumbsup: And braggin rights IS personal satisfaction.:yes: Hey, I know i'm gettin old, and probably slow, except on the Road King, But what the he!! is a RUB?:whatever:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.