V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a Street Bob in March... I demo'd one yesterday and loved it, except I'd like a bit more cornering clearance. Any idea what (hopefully preload adjustable) shocks I could install to increase the rear ride height by and inch or two?

Thanks~ Scary
Grand Junction, CO
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,217 Posts
Scary Mc said:
I'm looking at buying a Street Bob in March... I demo'd one yesterday and loved it, except I'd like a bit more cornering clearance. Any idea what (hopefully preload adjustable) shocks I could install to increase the rear ride height by and inch or two?

Thanks~ Scary
Grand Junction, CO


Keep the stock length shocks and replace them with Progressive 440 HD's. It will only increase the ride height by about 5/16 but you will be amazed at the handling difference. No bottoming and handles like on rails! We did it to my buddies, and I have a lowered Stock 1998 FXD with 440's. Used to bottom even before being lowered! Not any More!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
rickr01 said:
Keep the stock length shocks and replace them with Progressive 440 HD's. It will only increase the ride height by about 5/16 but you will be amazed at the handling difference. No bottoming and handles like on rails! We did it to my buddies, and I have a lowered Stock 1998 FXD with 440's. Used to bottom even before being lowered! Not any More!!
How are they for 2 up, 300 325 lbs max? My Dyna is a little soft in the rear with the wife and I on it. Solo not bad at all with the stock shocks.

Tim
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I just talked to Progressive about the 440's and they can do them stock height, 1" and 1.5" over stock for the extra clearance that I'm looking for.
I live in the land of redrock canyon twisties and want as much clearance as possible.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,217 Posts
cs1 said:
How are they for 2 up, 300 325 lbs max? My Dyna is a little soft in the rear with the wife and I on it. Solo not bad at all with the stock shocks.

Tim

Best out there the 440 HD. (heavy duty).

The Dynas had a problem early on and it is carried over into some newer models, in that there is not sufficient clearence between the right side of the rear fender and the brake caliper, and the left side of the rear fender and the belt guard. Look closely at any FXD or FXLR's and you will notice the very edge where it makes occassional contact at these points, chipped or in bad cases heavy bumps, or two up riding, the fender will lightly crease. The 440's take care of that but two up or not get the Heavy Duty as opposed to the
standard 440 version's. Take a close look with a flashlight at the rear fender bottom edge at these points tonight. You may be surprised.
 

·
killer sperm
Joined
·
2,852 Posts
How about your forks? Are they shorter? Maybe find someone buying a new Super Glide or Wide Glide that wants to slam it & trade suspension components.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,217 Posts
Milehog said:
How about your forks? Are they shorter? Maybe find someone buying a new Super Glide or Wide Glide that wants to slam it & trade suspension components.
I was so pleased with the progressive rear shocks, that I then went with the progessive fork springs. I have posted before but for those not wanting to search....can you tell the difference in riding a VW Bug... oh say, a 1966, and a Full size modern 2006 cadilac. Yep...that different. Tune up that suspension not just the motor and brakes!
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top