V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1998 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic 95th Anniversary
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Wes and am 70 years old. A Harley-Davidson was on my bucket list.

I have wanted a dresser since I was about 10 or 12. I had a couple of uncles who were Harley-Davidson and Indian riders back in the 40's and early 50's.

As a kid I had a Cushman Super Eagle and a Triumph Tiger Cub. These were fun and I thought that they taught me to ride. In my mid-30's I owned a Honda Gold Wing. Thought I knew how to ride. Never was in love with any of these machines.

My two brothers were Harley-Davidson men. Between them, they have owned dozens of classic and vintage bikes over the past 50 years; flatheads, knuckleheads, pans, shovels.

I was busy getting an education, raising a family, getting ahead and never had time to get a Harley-Davidson bagger. Over the years I went to the dealers and looked a couple of times. Took a couple of test rides. Never pulled the trigger.

Last summer my wife (for 53 years) and I were driving to our home high in the Rocky Mountains whenever we passed a Harley-Davidson rider waiting at an intersection to turn onto the road. I made the remark to her that I guess I will go to the grave never having owned a Harley. To my surprise, she said if I wanted one, go buy one.

I immediately started searching the Colorado Front Range from Colorado Springs to Cheyenne, Wy. We looked at quite a few touring models. I ranted and raved at a couple of salesmen at dealerships. We looked at new ones and used ones. I finally found a bike in Cololrado Springs that I dearly love. It is a 1998 FLHTCUI 95th Anniversary Ultra Classic in perfect condition. Slapped down my cash and rode it home.

The 120 mile ride home into the mountains disproved what I thought was true: I knew how to ride a motorcycle. This bike is almost 800 lbs. (My previous experience was at most with a 500-600 pound motorcycle. And I loved the front brake.) At about the 100 mile mark on the way home I was at a traffic signal about to make a left turn whenever I had to stop to let an oncoming SUV turn to his left in front of me. At the great speed of about 3 mph, with my front wheel pointing left, I grabbed the front brake. The bike immediately wanted to lay down on its right side. I planted my right foot on the pavement, and with all of my might I righted the bike. The extreme pressure of my exertion broke my big toe, right then and there.

I have searched the internet, taken riding courses, and practiced much slow speed riding since making that trip. (One of my brothers off-hand told me "Yep, straighten the front wheel before applying the front brake.")

I am now the proud owner of a couple of thousand dollars of Harley-Davidson books. Have built an additional garage in which to house the bike. Purchased a new Kendon Single Ride-up SRL stand-up motorcycle trailer.

This motorcycle is wonderful and my wife and I enjoy it quite a bit by touring the beautiful mountains of Colorado.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Howdy Wes.
What can I say but .. it's about time... better late then never!
The bike looks nice.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Good looking bike and great introduction.
Welcome from FL.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Congratulation to you Wes, on getting your dream-come-true Harley. Also congratulations on the longevity of your marriage. Happy anniversary and happy riding.

·
Registered
11,999 Posts
It came with all the shiznick didn't it? Many happy rides to you and your wife welcome from NC.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcomes.
I have no idea how many years I will be able to ride my FLHTCUI but presently my physical abilities do not reflect my age. My hair is not yet gray and my strength has not diminished. Hopefully I will be able to ride for another 5 years and realize the whenever I start to decline that it will most probably be a steep decline.
But, in the mean time, the beauty of this motorcycle will keep me happy. It has the Screaming Eagle 6-speed transmission and the Road Zeppelin leather seat. This bike was tricked out with every bell, whistle, and upgrade whenever it was manufactured.
The 82 cu in motor is plenty big for me. The new models have much bigger motors and that bogs down my mind. If we were to pull a trailer, I can see getting more horses and torque, but the adventure of sleeping under the stars in a tent was satisfied decades ago.

I have been reading a thread on the return of the toilet paper hoarding and LMAO. The wit of the members in these forums is amazing.

·
Registered
2004 FLHTI
749 Posts
Nice scoot! Enjoy! When you can't hold it up turn it into a trike! I'm a few years younger than you but that's my plan when the time comes.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ATV's started out as trikes but so many kids started dumping themselves around corners that they quickly went to 4 wheels. This was many decades ago.
I appreciate the suggestion of a trike but the dynamics of cornering with a trike scare me. I definitely would end up dumping myself because I am very stupid and have a tendency to drive too fast.
By the way, the trikes with the two wheels in front look so weird that passers-by would wonder, as they passed, why the hell I was laughing my arse off.

·
Registered
891 Posts
looks like you got the best of everything harley deal...no dumb ass computers...no dumb ass cam tensioners...no dumb ass payments.....it looks new too...check if the cam bearing has been upgraded yet when you get a chance...oh and you will develop pretty strong limbs if u dont break em 1st.

·
Registered
11,999 Posts
ATV's started out as trikes but so many kids started dumping themselves around corners that they quickly went to 4 wheels. This was many decades ago.
I appreciate the suggestion of a trike but the dynamics of cornering with a trike scare me. I definitely would end up dumping myself because I am very stupid and have a tendency to drive too fast.
By the way, the trikes with the two wheels in front look so weird that passers-by would wonder, as they passed, why the hell I was laughing my arse off.
You won't fall off a trike on any curve as long as you still have legs. Going to the right lean ever so slightly to the left. Anywhere you point the front wheel the rest is sure to follow. I said trikes suck, but actually they have their good points over 2 wheels. I had the Lehman trike with a big trunk between the wheels and it is great for a grocery run and I never had to look for a hard spot for my jiffy stand.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts