V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys and gals. I waited six months and rigged up a few different contraptions none of which I was a fan of to be able to see my oil pressure as I ride. I finally received my in fairing oil pressure gauge and hooked it up exactly as the guys at stealership instructed. This is a older 06 Electra glide so the hole was already there with nothing in it in the fairing. I bought an extension wire that went from my sending unit to gauge. Also I bought a plug n play wire to hook it directly to my accessories switch in front of the battery. The damn thing doesn’t work properly after all this. It reads 28 to 30 psi all the time once I start it. I installed new sending unit. I’m out of ideas. The oil pressure of course fluctuates just as you would think it would. You get over 2000 rpm and then it’s up around the 30psi. I don’t recall the exact numbers but it’s perfect. With the tester. With the gauge in dash it’s 30psi. 30 psi at idle. 30 psi at 2500rpm. What am I missing. Is there a way to test this gauge. What can I try?
Help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A known good wet gauge plug at the sending unit port will give you an accurate reading. When you say 30 psi all the time like @ idle? This is when hot or cold?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

·
not sober all the time
5,857 Posts
I'm racking my brain to make sense of what you wrote. I assume you mean the gauge in the dash doesn't give the same reading as a test gauge. If you are positive the test gauge is accurate, you may assume the gauge in the fairing is not accurate, or the sending unit is not the proper unit for the gauge. Past that, I'd have to compare the two gauges to understand the problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is this your gauge?

2006 Harley Touring FLHTCUI Electra Glide Oil Pressure Gauge 75032-99B
2006 Harley Touring FLHTCUI Electra Glide Oil Pressure Gauge 75032-99B

Simple things first.

You should run anywhere from around 8-14 lbs at hot idle.

10 psi is about average on a stock engine and 25-35 psi running down the road with 30 psi being average.

The Harley Gauge is not known to be the most accurate either. I'd test with a known good oil pressure gauge.

Or just leave it and listen to your bike.

She'll tell you when something is wrong.

·
Registered
912 Posts
i gave up on mine just watch for the light....and make sure its on((ig on) no run) and off(running) with operation...if you know your engine intimatly...like me!(heat and bitchy running)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts