V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to install an Ultima 6 speed builder's kit in my 2002 Road King, and following the suggestion of a member here, am going to do some preemptive upgrades. Those are: Replace the stock Ultima shifter pawl with the Baker unit, which includes a much beefier spring. Replace the Ultima shift forks, which are apparently heavy enough to use for hammer heads. And replace the Ultima shift drum.

Those sound like great suggestions. Based on some of what I've read in other, older threads, I'll use HD gaskets and seals, as well. Apparently, the bearings that come with the kit are high quality NSK units; I'll verify that when I receive it.

I do have some questions that I hope I can get answered here:

The Baker shifter pawl notes that it is NOT stock replacement for my bike; that I'll need to upgrade to a shift drum that accepts 1/4" pawl pins. Ok, I plan to replace the shift drum anyway based on the advice noted above. I hear the Baker shift drums are a big improvement over stock; but I don't see a 6-speed Baker shift drum as a replacement part. I DO see the Baker N1 shift drum as a possible replacement, but don't see anything that indicates it accepts the 1/4" pawl pins. Also don't know if this drum will work with the Ultima gear set. Anyone have any specific input on this?

Same question about shifter forks? If I toss the Ultima forks, what do I get for replaements? Can I get replacement forks for a Baker OD 6???

Would love some help on this. I haven't tried Baker as a source of help yet, both because it's the weekend and because I have a feeling they might not be too forthcoming when asked to help improve a competitor's product, even when using their components. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but that's my suspicion.

Another question about this job: I've read that the neutral light often doesn't work right with this gearset but that there's a pretty simple fix for it. But no specifics on just what that fix is. Anyone have that info?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tall Terry answered these questions separately, thanks Terry! I'll be calling Baker tomorrow to get the needed parts ordered.

·
The great camel toe escap
1,122 Posts
Where are the answers? Because I want to do this too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here they are: keep on mind my bike is an 02. Baker OD shift drum, forks and pawl will apparently work with the Ultima gearset. I ordered all of those parts from Baker today. Cost me about $615. The Ultima trans is on its way, too. That was $500 on ebay with free shipping. I will update this thread when I get the parts and when I dig in to the job.

·
1,122 Posts
Ok man ty. Iam a 99.

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
a 99 transmission will accept the ultima 6 speed headset on the door,, and the rest of your stock components should work fine,,, it... the list N.E. Confederate supplied is the list of parts I suggested je use...

the ultima OD 6 speed components are copies of the early Baker 6 speed,, as a result the mentioned parts fit... I believe ultima makes a complete bolt in transmission for your bike..

the parts I recommend, i have used in clients bikes over the years,,, I'm retired now,, but did all these parts for a friend last year in a 99 softail with a reve tech...

the pawl return springs break frequently,,, and the shift components are all cast,, with very heavy large shift forks,,, bakers tool steel forks and 5he drum kit improve shifting,,, the gears are strong enough for most applications,,,,

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a 99 transmission will accept the ultima 6 speed headset on the door,, and the rest of your stock components should work fine,,, it... the list N.E. Confederate supplied is the list of parts I suggested je use...

the ultima OD 6 speed components are copies of the early Baker 6 speed,, as a result the mentioned parts fit... I believe ultima makes a complete bolt in transmission for your bike..

the parts I recommend, i have used in clients bikes over the years,,, I'm retired now,, but did all these parts for a friend last year in a 99 softail with a reve tech...

the pawl return springs break frequently,,, and the shift components are all cast,, with very heavy large shift forks,,, bakers tool steel forks and 5he drum kit improve shifting,,, the gears are strong enough for most applications,,,,
Thanks again for your guidance, Terry. My Ultima builder's kit arrived yesterday. The Baker parts are on their way. Looks like I'm going to need a couple of special tools to remove and install the main drive gear and seal, so I'll need to order those from somewhere, too.

Terry, if see this: do you know if the tools Midwest offers are any good? I have gotten most of my special tools from either Jim's or George's garage, both of which are high quality. I've never even seen the offerings from Midwest, but their instruction sheet provides part numbers for them.

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
I'm not familiar with midwest's tools,,, I would say,, that if you only need them for this 1 job,, and the savings is significant,, why not try them..

I do like Georges garage tools,, they are the best on the market for a reasonable price,,, jims tools have been over priced hit or miss quality,, mostly miss,,,

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx for the feedback. I'll take a look at the MIdwest offering and compare with George's Garage. The GG tools I have are very nice and work well. I do like quality stuff. Which is probably why I have more "stuff" than money.....

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Not hard to tell which is which.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
big difference isnt there..
Yeah, wow, no comparison! Same with the shift drum, which I didn't post pictures of. But same difference in attention to detail and overall quality. I'd be very curious to see the difference in the gearset. But it doesn't matter. I need to save as much $$ as possible, so this is definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wound up ordering the tools needed from George's Garage. I searched for and couldn't find anywhere to buy the Midwest tools. Mid-usa has Jim's tools listed, far more expensive than George's Garage. I did find the main drive gear and bearing tool from OTC on Amazon for about $35 less than George's. I have some OTC specialty tools from my days as a Benz tech, and found them to be of good quality. But the George's tool has a couple of pieces that the OTC tool doesn't; and for the $35 I figured, hell with it, get the George's tools. So they'll be on their way.

I had been thinking I'd get this bike back together as quickly as possible and keep riding (see my "crashed bike" thread in Touring section). Then do the trans over the winter. But, I have plenty of "I'll do it over the winter" projects. I had to take the pipe off to fix the rear crash bar mounting tab on the right side, which is a big enough pain in the ass to do once. And the exhaust bracket that mounts to the stock trap door, and which will not work with the Ultima trap door since it's nearly twice as thick, is cracked all the way through. So again, to hell with it, I'll do the trans swap now, too.

Terry, in your experience, are the seals that come with the Ultima gearset good enough to put into service? Or am I going to wish I had replaced the main drive gear seal (the little one) and the big seal in the left side trans case? I'd hate to have to dig back in to fix a couple of leaks I could've avoided with $15 worth of seals.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm really curious since I am considering this upgrade what has been done on the past for the exhaust bracket to make it work with an ultima.

·
1,122 Posts
So i guess the. What really needs to be done? The spring and thats all? Iam sitting on a stroke right now. And plan on a solid 110 soon. Hp goals is 130whp with out giggle juice. But i also wanna break 200miles per a tank on the hwy.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts