V-Twin Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
O.K., Back on topic..
I didn't want to talk too much trash, but you nailed it within the first 3 sentences. All the rest of the post were just socializing.
I had stored the bike for about 3-4 years due to surgeries and age. Shame on me for not draining the tank or adding Stable to the fuel.
That's it in a nutshell. Minus all the smiling faces.

But I love it when there is a good ending. Consider it a learning experience.

When I have something like this, I put some piece of residue (like a broken hose) in a prominent place in my toolbox as a reminder. Just so I don't think I'm smarter than your average bear.

Reactions: KeatsArizona

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
So I believe it was the cracked hose from the fuel pump to the fuel filter. Counting the new battery and the new parts, I believe I have less than $230.00 in this repair. I know that the dealer would have been much faster, but also a lot more costly.
Nice work...congrats!

My experience with "dealers" for cars and scoots is very different from yours regarding timely repairs!

·
Registered
1 Posts
funny, just joined cause of a similar problem everything works but the fuel pump changed pump,pressure regulator,filter,injectors line from tank,both relays and fuses.to explain, 2005 fxdci,sat for ten years half tank of fuel,so inside was a mess oh,bought new tank as well been at it for couple months may give up soon a convert to carb

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
funny, just joined cause of a similar problem everything works but the fuel pump changed pump,pressure regulator,filter,injectors line from tank,both relays and fuses.to explain, 2005 fxdci,sat for ten years half tank of fuel,so inside was a mess oh,bought new tank as well been at it for couple months may give up soon a convert to carb
Hello, I'm guessing your blue flames nephew, Welcome to The Forum you should post an introduction. You should also start a new thread for your problems you can probably find some help. Since you're now a member you can post rather than through a third party. Sometimes the information gets scrambled. If you replaced all that and the tank then you probably have some other problems possibly in the wiring, any signs of mice chewing, they love plastic.

·
Super Moderator
22,401 Posts
Both good ideas. I don't have a fuel pressure test gauge. Really don't want to invest $$$ for a test and then have a gauge that I probably won't use again.
I',m going to test the F.I. plug to see if it gets current whwn the bike is turning over. If it is, then the injectors should function. If not, then something is preventing the current from reaching the injectors. Bottom line is, it's a fuel delivery problem. Starts with starter fluid. Just not getting gas thru the injector. Why ???
Just an FYI, it gets current what you turn the switches on. The ecm grounds it to complete the circuit. That is not the place to go poking around with a test lamp, unless you want to fry an injector driver. Test it with a noid lamp.

And that fuel pressure tester you didn't want to buy would have sent you into the tank a lot sooner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Just an FYI, it gets current what you turn the switches on. The ecm grounds it to complete the circuit. That is not the place to go poking around with a test lamp, unless you want to fry an injector driver. Test it with a noid lamp.

And that fuel pressure tester you didn't want to buy would have sent you into the tank a lot sooner.
Thank you.
However I posted a reply to this problem last week. The bike is now running like new.
It was a cracked / broken fuel line between the fuel pump and the filter inside the tank.
Luckly for me, being retired time is not really relevant.
It took longer than a dealer would have taken but I fixed everything -and then some- for a lot less $$.
The fuel pressure tester would have cost $$ and I would have used it once and then put in on the shelf to gather dust.
Wish I could have borrowed one like they do at Advance Auto Parts. Just nothing like this tool there.

Thanks again
Keats
Arizona

41 - 47 of 47 Posts