V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,683 Posts
Injectors were just rebuilt. Before they were rebuilt, the testing showed that both were functioning. One was slightly better than theother one but only by a percent. Now both look like new. Plugs are dry and indicate than when running, it was burning rich. Kinda black and sooty.
I think the security system is preventing current from getting to the injectors so they don't function.
Wouldn't you be inclined to just check the wiring to the injectors before jumping to the security module? It makes no sense that the security system would allow the bike to crank and fire but not deliver fuel. I would check the connections of the injector wires for corrosion and tightness and definitely do a continuity test and a wiggle test on each wire.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I don't believe it's going to be the security system, at least a problem with the fobs, my fobs have been in a drawer for probably five years I've never had a problem. One thing you're going to find out is current flows from the key switch to the on-off handlebar switch then to a system relay. Then the relay provides constant power to the coils, injectors, and fuel pump, all one circuit. The e c m provides grounds to the coils and injectors and system relay to provide the proper timed triggering. When you test them at the positive terminal they will be like the fuel pump on for two or three seconds, then off. Then back on once you start cranking. I still believe you need to check the fuel pump pressure even if it is pumping say 5 lb that will get the fuel rail wet but it won't spray through the injector

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Both good ideas. I don't have a fuel pressure test gauge. Really don't want to invest $$$ for a test and then have a gauge that I probably won't use again.
I',m going to test the F.I. plug to see if it gets current whwn the bike is turning over. If it is, then the injectors should function. If not, then something is preventing the current from reaching the injectors. Bottom line is, it's a fuel delivery problem. Starts with starter fluid. Just not getting gas thru the injector. Why ???

·
Registered
29 Posts
I already bought a new fuel filter and plan on a good tank cleaning. Thanks.
Keats
Arizona
I agree with whoever said check fuel pressure first. Had similar problem an changed filter , which was really bad, but also had to replace the tube that feeds from fuel pump to exit at tank. Harleys are known to get pin holes in that tube, you’ll lose pressure! Test is easy!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I opened the tank and removed everything. The fuel line from the pump to the filter was completely broken into two pieces. Not sure if that's the way it was or if I. caused it trying to get the pump etc, out of the tank. The sock filter was shot too. Fuel line was very brittle after 15 years in sunny Arizona. Have a new quick connect fitting with a new fuel line ordered and all new parts are ready to go back into the tank as soon as that piece shows up. It may have been cracked before I tried to get it out of the tank. That would drop the pressure. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge or a fitting to attach it to the system. So when everything is reassembeled, it should deliver fuel to the injectors and hopefully fire up. We'll see....

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
1,361 Posts
I opened the tank and removed everything. The fuel line from the pump to the filter was completely broken into two pieces. Not sure if that's the way it was or if I. caused it trying to get the pump etc, out of the tank. The sock filter was shot too. Fuel line was very brittle after 15 years in sunny Arizona. Have a new quick connect fitting with a new fuel line ordered and all new parts are ready to go back into the tank as soon as that piece shows up. It may have been cracked before I tried to get it out of the tank. That would drop the pressure. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge or a fitting to attach it to the system. So when everything is reassembeled, it should deliver fuel to the injectors and hopefully fire up. We'll see....
Did you "unfold" the pump assy correctly? Or did you fight it out?

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Nice find...Once you get it back together you should be good. I had a pinhole leak on fuel line inside my tank once too. It's a PIA getting that pump/float/filter assy in and out of tank.

Do you have HD Elect Diagnostics manual? Worth getting to trouble shoot electrical and FI problems. It has saved me lots of time and $$ getting right to the problem vs shot-gunning parts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Nice find...Once you get it back together you should be good. I had a pinhole leak on fuel line inside my tank once too. It's a PIA getting that pump/float/filter assy in and out of tank.

Do you have HD Elect Diagnostics manual? Worth getting to trouble shoot electrical and FI problems. It has saved me lots of time and $$ getting right to the problem vs shot-gunning parts.
Your right about the PIA getting everything back in the tank. Got all new parts in there now. Next is to mount the tank on the bike, and add fuel. Fingers crossed... I'm not a parts replacer as a rule. I just thought that if I pull the tank apart and put an old part back in and it craps out a week later, I'm back to square one again. At least this way I know that it won't be a fuel tank / parts issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

No I don't have that manual. I do have the service manual and the parts manual for 2005 and the service manual is not really very good. Years ago, they would have photos. Now it's all line drawings..

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,683 Posts
No I don't have that manual. I do have the service manual and the parts manual for 2005 and the service manual is not really very good. Years ago, they would have photos. Now it's all line drawings..
2005 was 17 years ago. How far back are you going with the "photos in the manual" comment? Much farther back than that and the quality of photos in printed manuals sucked. Line drawings, most of the time, seem more appropriate and useful to me.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I never heard of using banana pudding as a topping for tater salad. I'll have to try that.

Reactions: <G Man>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
12 May 22
O.K., Back on topic..
I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, quick connect with hose . Put in some fresh gas and crossed my fingers. Took about 4-5 seconds of cranking and then it fired up. Wow !!!
I tried the throttle and it responded like new. I turned it off and restarted it a few more times and it fired instantly each time.
So I believe it was the cracked hose from the fuel pump to the fuel filter. Counting the new battery and the new parts, I believe I have less than $230.00 in this repair. I know that the dealer would have been much faster, but also a lot more costly. I also have the satisfaction of knowing that I did it my self and it worked.
Thank you to all the folks that posted replies to my questions.
Keats
Peoria, Az.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts