V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
29 April 22,
2005 Harley Road King Classic. Fuel Injected. 20,000 miles on it.

About a month ago I replaced the battery on my bike. It started up and ran but it was just a bit rough. I had stored the bike for about 3-4 years due to surgeries and age. Shame on me for not draining the tank or adding Stable to the fuel.

Anyway, everything was O.K. and a couple days later I tried to start the bike and it turned over but would not start. I charged up the new battery to make sure it had a full charge and tried again the next day. Still turned over very well, but no start up.

I checked every fuse and they were all good. I looked at the connections and there was no corrosion to prevent current passing thru.

I then pulled the front plug and sprayed a bit of starting fluid into the hole and reinstalled the plug. Tried to start it and it did in fact fire right up. It ran till the starting fluid ran out. Hmmm?
Why didn't it continue to run on gasoline? I then tried starting fluid into the throttle body and it fired right up again till the fluid was consumed.

So I thought that it had to be something preventing fuel to be delivered. I drained the tank and removed it and then I removed both fuel injectors and found that the rear injector was looking crappy with a build up of old gas on the 4 spray holes. The front injector looked pretty good.

I sent the injectors out to be professionally cleaned and new filters installed and they are back and look great. I have not installed them yet.

So, I'm thinking if the back injector was crappy and the front injector looked good, why didn't the front cylinder try to run. ?

Next thought was something was preventing the injectors from getting a signal to open and close.
The only thing I can think of is the ECM. Could that have gone bad after I stopped the engine on the first day and is it preventing the injectors from functioning?
I hope not. That's a pricey piece of equipment.

None of the sensors were moved, loosened or removed.

Is there a way to test the injector plug from the ECM to see if in fact it's getting voltage as needed? Maybe a Volt Meter ?
The H.D. part # for the ECM is 32534-05 and I understand that maybe it would need to be programed by a mechanic.

I don't have a way to tap into the data link connector.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I'm just stumped and don't know where to turn.

Keats
Peoria, Az.

馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4/29/22
I went over all of this with my "Sounding Board" (wife) and she had a good point. I had a problem with my key fob.
I had looked at that when the bike would not start but because the starter functioned, I did not pay any attention to it.

I have two fobs and one would not work but the other one would flash the lights etc. I tried a new coin battery in the first fob - the one I usually carried with me - but no luck. Perhaps it's possible that because the first fob would not function when I tried to start the bike, it "set" the alarm and caused the ECM to stop signaling the injectors ?

Is that a problem encountered by other owners? If it's something as simple as that, then I'll just reprogram the code per Harley and try again. I do have the original code set when the bike was first delivered.

My concern with this is that in the owners manual on page 139 says the alarm will stop the starter from working. That's not the case with me. My starter turns the engine over very well.

Can it be that maybe the alarm was set up to allow the starter to operate but stops the injectors from working?

I sure hope that this is the entire problem.

So for now it's just a matter of reinstalling the injectors and getting the tank back on with a new fuel filter, gasket and new screws. I'll put about a gallon of fresh gas into the bike and try it again. Fingers crossed, it works.

If anyone has had a similar problem and it turned out to be the alarm (factory security system), please let me know how you fixed it.

Thanks
Keats
Peoria, Az.

Registered
Does fuel pump build pressure and cut off? I recently had a similar problem on a softail that had set up for a few years, It needed a fuel pump ,original was corroded and frozen, and pressure regulator. Lonslo

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does fuel pump build pressure and cut off? I recently had a similar problem on a softail that had set up for a few years, It needed a fuel pump ,original was corroded and frozen, and pressure regulator. Lonslo
I don't know it that's whats happening. I can hear the pump cycle up when the switch it turned on. I do not hear it turn off.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wait... what?!... if it ran with starting fluid, then it was getting spark.
Yea, It gets a good spark but only runs when I add fuel directly. That's why I think the injectors are not functioning. Can the alarm system just stop them but leave the starter turn the engine over? Can't find anything in the service manual that says that.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I gotta agree with hillcat. It's a fuel delivery problem. Like lonslo says check the pump.
Just an FYI. When I removed the injectors from the Fuel Rail, it had gas in it. So if there was gas there, why didn't the gas get fed thru the injector to the cylinder? If the fuel rail was dry, I'd think that the pump was not sending fuel thru the fuel line to the fuel rail. I won't be able to check these ideas out till I get everything back together again.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It ran on the day I put a new battery in it. Started right up. Did it twice. Then when I tried it two days later, it would only turn over but it would not start. It did fire if I added fuel directly to the cylinder. I'm going to be replacing the fuel filter when I get the new screws delivered. I'll have the fuel pump out then so I'll see what shape it's in.

Premium Member
What's your fuel pressure? It should run between 55-62 psi. You are suspecting fuel delivery problems so get a pressure gauge and go from there.

Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
Seems there was a similar problem here not long ago. The fuel pump doesn't shut off from pressure build up. The ECM only has it run for a few seconds I believe. If yours is running constantly then that idea is sunk. Hopefully the experts will chime in shortly.

Registered
Yea, It gets a good spark but only runs when I add fuel directly. That's why I think the injectors are not functioning. Can the alarm system just stop them but leave the starter turn the engine over? Can't find anything in the service manual that says that.
If there is gas in the rail, then I would think about pressure or clogged injectors or both.
Are the plugs wet or dry when you pull them out after trying to start?
I don't know anything about the security systems.
I also hope an expert weighs in.

Registered
I agree you need a fuel pressure check. After sitting so long the fuel sock filter maybe have crumbled up , sucked in, and clogged up the pump or filter or regulator.
With the gas cap off,, looking in the tank , could you see gas spraying around or "boiling", maybe a internal fuel line got a leak or burst.
However the fuel pump should only run or 2 or 3 seconds when turned on,, not run continuously, it is a timed event by the ECM,, not pressure. If it runs continually,, there is another problem.
I don't believe this would be security issue if it starts and runs on ether.
Also look to see if the inner fuel tank liner is peeling lose and clogging the filter.

'

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree you need a fuel pressure check. After sitting so long the fuel sock filter maybe have crumbled up , sucked in, and clogged up the pump or filter or regulator.
With the gas cap off,, looking in the tank , could you see gas spraying around or "boiling", maybe a internal fuel line got a leak or burst.
However the fuel pump should only run or 2 or 3 seconds when turned on,, not run continuously, it is a timed event by the ECM,, not pressure. If it runs continually,, there is another problem.
I don't believe this would be security issue if it starts and runs on ether.
Also look to see if the inner fuel tank liner is peeling lose and clogging the filter.

'
I am waiting tfor the brand new screws to replace the ones I'll have to remove when I open the tank. Then I'm going to replace the fuel pump and check the hoses and filter sock. The pump does cycle fr just a couple seconds when I turn the switch on. The amber light goes off and it's ready to start. It will turn over but it will not start up. The pump does not run continuously. I believe that the main problem is no fuel delivery and while there is fuel in the fuel rail, it does not get sent on thru the injector into the cylinder. I want to try my voltmeter on the plug for the injector while it's cranking to see if there is current getting to the injectors. If so, then I'm totally stumped. If no current, then I have to think that something is stopping the current from getting to the injector and therefore preventing fuel from getting into the cylinder. That may be the security system. I've seen reports that if the battery was dead for a while, the code might be lost. Well, the fob had a dead battery and I replaced it with another coin battery and it still would not work. I tried my other fob and it would flash the directional lights as designed. I think that maybe I should try to do a manual input of the code thru the left and right directional switches to see if I can by pass the fob and then maybe it will fire up. The more I think about all of this, the more I think it's the security system causing my problems. The injectors were just rebuilt, cleaned and new filters installed. Look like new. There was fuel in the fuel rail when I removed it so I know that the pump is delivering fuel via the fuel line to the fuel rail. It just stops there and no fuel gets to the cylinders.
I'll keep posting as the situation develops..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seems there was a similar problem here not long ago. The fuel pump doesn't shut off from pressure build up. The ECM only has it run for a few seconds I believe. If yours is running constantly then that idea is sunk. Hopefully the experts will chime in shortly.
It shuts off after a couple seconds like it should. It is not running constantly.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If there is gas in the rail, then I would think about pressure or clogged injectors or both.
Are the plugs wet or dry when you pull them out after trying to start?
I don't know anything about the security systems.
I also hope an expert weighs in.
Injectors were just rebuilt. Before they were rebuilt, the testing showed that both were functioning. One was slightly better than theother one but only by a percent. Now both look like new. Plugs are dry and indicate than when running, it was burning rich. Kinda black and sooty.
I think the security system is preventing current from getting to the injectors so they don't function.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts