V-Twin Forum banner

whats a dude to do?

• Save for the RK

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Trick out the sporty

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • have another beer and think about it

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • work on the instant gratification problem (thus improving sex life)

Votes: 3 15.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you that have been around for a while know I have spent alot of $$ trickin out my sporty. ...........About a month ago I decided I wanted a road king, and decided hey lets dump all my $$ into paying the sporty off and then buy a RK and keep the sporty also...........

Well I have always had this thing for instant gratification (not good for your love life!) If I stick to my current plan I could get the RK in about 6 or 7 months and keep the sporty, or I can trade the sporty in on the road kiing and get it sooner, now I am leaning toward dropping a bunch more $$$ into the sporty. The picture below is a nice scooter, and kinda the look I want for my sled.

Whats a dude to do?????

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Stop spending money on the Sporty, and sell it before the 2003 comes out with (possibly) a newer engine.

Then, get the bike you want and trick that bad boy out! Too bad you didn't buy your Sportser from Mikes in Delware! I was down there yesterday and they have a policy were you can purchase a Sportster and for up to one year latter trade it in and get everything you paid on it for a FL/FX model bike!

Good luck on your decession!

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
I went down to Mike's for their open house a few weeks ago. They are an msrp+2-3K (whatever) dealer. Not impressed.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
My own plans are to get a Supersport and keep the Sportster. I think they are fun bikes and why get rid of it?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
OK, I'm the have another beer and think about it vote.

If you have added much to the Sporty, I would try and sell it to a private party and THEN buy the King.

Sounds to me like you are thinking of selling just so you can get the King sooner. THAT I believe you will regret.

Reminds me of a song I remember growing up.

"It's not time to make a change,
just relax, take it slowly,
you're still young, that's your :eek: BANG! BANG! BANG!

OOOhhhhhhh Damn! That's gonna leave a mark! Oh Cat? CAT, You Ok CAT?

Oh well, he's dead. What was the question?

OH YEA!

Yep, have another beer and think about it.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
No brainer, really. Each tick of the clock you lose a couple of bucks on the sporty. If the new one were to come out with a new engine you'll go in the hole big time. Catch the fish while they are still biting.

See, if you want a sporty, keep it forever, but you already established you really want a King, the rest just sounds like justifying the money you spent on it. Why let it keep you from getting the bike you know you want. :D

You are running out of time, the cat will be out of the bag in Atlanta.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
let me throw this into the equation, I wont (most likley) buy a new 2003 RK, more about a used 2001 or 2002.........................I really really want to keep the sporty also :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
my vote..

Finish the sporty, keep it and get yourself the road king later.

The road kings aren't goin' anywhere..

if you can dump a bunch of dough into the sportster and then buy a RK in 6 or 7 months, then you obviously you can affort to keep the sporty.

and you can always get rid of the sporty after you buy the RK, if you feel you don't want or ride the sporty anymore.

They'll be a bunch of new stuff coming out this year, so wait and see what things are lookin' like.
I bought my Deuce in June 01 and two months later the new catalog and motorcycle line for 2002 came out.. I had wished I had waited another couple months.. No biggy at all, just somethin' I'll think about when I get my second bike!
Good luck with your decision. nickp.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: my vote..

nickp said:
Finish the sporty, keep it and get yourself the road king later.

The road kings aren't goin' anywhere..

if you can dump a bunch of dough into the sportster and then buy a RK in 6 or 7 months, then you obviously you can affort to keep the sporty.

and you can always get rid of the sporty after you buy the RK, if you feel you don't want or ride the sporty anymore.

They'll be a bunch of new stuff coming out this year, so wait and see what things are lookin' like.
I bought my Deuce in June 01 and two months later the new catalog and motorcycle line for 2002 came out.. I had wished I had waited another couple months.. No biggy at all, just somethin' I'll think about when I get my second bike!
Good luck with your decision. nickp.

thats kinda the direction I am thinking

·
Registered
686 Posts
keep the sporty and get the road king even if you have to wait, I sold my old sporty years ago and I really didn't have to I still kick myself. Two bikes are always better than one . cool bike

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The 02 is a much better bike then the 01, not worth it to give that up for a couple of bucks. The touring bikes were heavily modified for 02 (sort of makes you suspect they may be modified very little for 03 other then cosmetically, but this is only based on what they have historically done)

Not worth it to get a used bike instead of a new 02 for a couple of bucks either.

Since we don't know what they may put on the 03's that's a call that is hard to make, but see guess above. I'm almost certain the 03's may have a hydraulic clutch, but that's no big deal and may be a mixed blessing. Even if they made them into 95's it can be duplicated with 200 bucks.

Now if you could steal a used 02 it may be something to look at. The only way I personally consider used bikes is either when I know the bike and/or the owner, or the price is low enough that you can't go wrong regardless of what they may not be telling you.

Another personal opinion is that multiple bikes are for rich people, the sort of guys that can pull 20 grand out of their pocket without blinking. Hard to justify insurance and maintenance costs on two bikes when you can only ride one at the time, unless you are in a very comfortable economic position.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Actually if it was me I would have 4 or 5 bikes if I could afford them, which I can't but in a couple of years I think I will be able to pick up a used sporty cheap, I would find time to ride them I would just spend less time on the interent. I would have my touring bike, a sporty for buzzing around town , a 600cc thumper, a restored 750 norton, and a crotch rocket . I love bikes and everything about them. saferiding rickpoco

·
Registered
171 Posts
Miss my Sporty already

Yeah, I sold my Sporty last week and have been kicking myself in the ass ever since. Though I really love my Dyna, that Sporty always did something to my soul(yes I have one!) No you don't have to be rich to have more than one Harley, just lucky and have a wife who you can con once in a while:D The picture of the black Sporty with the stretch tank is a great look. My opinion for what it's worth? Keep it, trick it out and save for the King.
Sheepboy

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Miss my Sporty already

sheepboy said:
Yeah, I sold my Sporty last week and have been kicking myself in the ass ever since.

that Sporty always did something to my soul
Dude go back to the post when u first listed it for sale and you will see where I told ya to keep it................... I guess I should take my own advice :confused:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well the gas tank and a bunch of other stuff is onits way, so that tells ya what decision I made.......thanks for the input

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Dude!!!

DO NOT GET RID OF THE SPORTY!!!!! save your dough and buy the RK later. Im looking at buying a RK in about 2 years, (gotta build my house first) But when I do buy the RK im still hangin on to my sporty

doc526

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have to agree with Sheepboy on this one. You can never have to many Harley's. I would keep the sporty and save up for the RK, they are 2 totally different bikes. I think you would miss the sporty if you got rid of it, they are great for zipping around town, or short little runs and then when your doing some major touring, there's the RK! The best of both world's. Have another beer and think it over.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Purely a personal decision but here's the question I'd be asking myself:

"If I did buy a King and keep the Sporty, how much would the Sporty actually get ridden?"

No offense, 'cause your Sportster looks really cool, but if I had to choose between a Sportster and a Twin Cam RK, the RK would get ridden every time. Unless the Sporty was a hotrod and we were going to the drag strip...

Just my .02 worth. Gotta decide for yourself!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts