V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I realize this is a small thing in the overall scope of the problems we all face, but it still pissed me off. I got a voice mail message from Madison Gas & Electric day before yesterday saying we "might" experience a power outage tonight (Wednesday, Sept. 26) as they addressed some sort of utility problem. They said it might begin about 8:30 p.m. tonight and could last a couple of hours. I figured the call was most likely a power company CYA warning and wouldn't affect most users. I was wrong. I admit that I'm kind of a TV junkie and I was looking forward to watching one of my favorite shows, the series premiere of "Criminal Minds." Sure thing, halfway into the show everything went dark for a little more than an hour. Now, wouldn't a power company planning a power outage normally do it during the daytime when it wouldn't plunge people into darkness? The traffic lights were all still working. I know because I sat out on my front porch and chilled since there was nothing else to do in my dark house. Okay, rant over. Small problem of little consequence. It just annoyed me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just recently bought at 7kw generator and wired all the 110v circuits in my breaker box to a 10 circuit manual transfer switch. I'm kinda waitin' for the lights to go out, just so I can fire it up and flip on the garage lights at night. :D

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
"Convenience" or "Customer Service" have never really been applicable buzzwords for our local utility companies, either.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
MadCity said:
Okay, I realize this is a small thing in the overall scope of the problems we all face, but it still pissed me off. I got a voice mail message from Madison Gas & Electric day before yesterday saying we "might" experience a power outage tonight (Wednesday, Sept. 26) as they addressed some sort of utility problem. They said it might begin about 8:30 p.m. tonight and could last a couple of hours. I figured the call was most likely a power company CYA warning and wouldn't affect most users. I was wrong. I admit that I'm kind of a TV junkie and I was looking forward to watching one of my favorite shows, the series premiere of "Criminal Minds." Sure thing, halfway into the show everything went dark for a little more than an hour. Now, wouldn't a power company planning a power outage normally do it during the daytime when it wouldn't plunge people into darkness? The traffic lights were all still working. I know because I sat out on my front porch and chilled since there was nothing else to do in my dark house. Okay, rant over. Small problem of little consequence. It just annoyed me.

You're right. They shouldn't have given you notice. Then you would have thought it was just accidental and beyond their power to control. :)

·
Doof Bag
274 Posts
No good time for a planned outage, my guess is they figure less impact to commerce during evening hours. (always phuck the little guy first).

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
sounds like great customer service.
we are held to "off peak hours" for service interuptions.
11pm to 6am.

you got hosed.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Well, if they did the shut-down during the day all them women would miss their soaps!

·
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by 99Percenter
Appears to have been a good time for a scooter ride.
If I'd have known it would be a done deal, I would have held off on those two bourbons.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Last time we had a power outage all 4 of my daughters were home and we played hide in seek . . . them against me. It was so dark, you couldn't see your hand 2 inches from your nose. They spent 45 minutes looking for me and they kept making the youngest one stick her hand or foot into closets, bathtubs, etc just in case a hand came out and grabbed them. They finally figured they had me cornered in a closet and I snuck up behind them and let em have it. They screamed for 5 minutes - that was so much fun.

·
Registered
84 Posts
RexBuck said:
Last time we had a power outage all 4 of my daughters were home and we played hide in seek . . . them against me. It was so dark, you couldn't see your hand 2 inches from your nose. They spent 45 minutes looking for me and they kept making the youngest one stick her hand or foot into closets, bathtubs, etc just in case a hand came out and grabbed them. They finally figured they had me cornered in a closet and I snuck up behind them and let em have it. They screamed for 5 minutes - that was so much fun.

If that's your picture in your avatar it wouldn't even have to be dark for them to scream for 5 minutes...:hystria:

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
MadCity said:
Okay, I realize this is a small thing in the overall scope of the problems we all face, but it still pissed me off.
Now, wouldn't a power company planning a power outage normally do it during the daytime when it wouldn't plunge people into darkness? .
yeah...shutting down businesses and disturbing the time when most people are actually doing something productive would be a much better idea than interrupting your tv show...those bastards!:nope:

·
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by tomv
yeah...shutting down businesses and disturbing the time when most people are actually doing something productive would be a much better idea than interrupting your tv show...those bastards!
It wouldn't have shut down any businesses. It only affected a small residential area.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
MadCity said:
It wouldn't have shut down any businesses. It only affected a small residential area.
then dont pay your bill...thatll teach em:spank:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts