V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local dealer had an "open house" today so I stopped by. Saw they were offering test rides so I took them up on a few. Never rode a Victory before. I am a long-time HD rider. Currently have an '02 FXDXT. I test rode a Victory Vegas and a Vegas Jackpot. These things will blow away HD in stock form. Very strong. That 100ci engine just wants to keep pulling. I didn't really even need 5th & 6th gear except it was nice over 60 mph or so. Very smooth power. Almost no vibration and the mirrors had zero distortion at any speed. Stock exhaust note isn't half bad, either. Has a good rumble. The ergonomics were perfect for me. Handlebars & forward controls were right where I wanted them. I sound like a commercial, but seriously, when the time comes for a new bike I will consider Victory. The only things I did not like: The front brakes are touchy on initial application and the clutch cable/actuator lever at the case looks kind of cheesy (also, the Victory emblem on the sides of the fuel tanks was pulling away on almost every bike. Time for a new adhesive vendor).
Keep up the good work Victory!

·
Registered
9,149 Posts
Carrie said:
Good critique but I think alot of "other" bikes can blow a HD in stock form. Not much comparison...
I believe that is the comparison... Stock versus stock...

I have several friends with the Victory... all of them very happy.

HD had better be paying attention, they aren't the only game in town.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Thanks for the review. I've owned other bikes, but the one thing keeps me coming back to H-D is the dealer network. When I travel, it doesn't matter where I go, there's a H-D dealer close. A broken clutch cable was an easy fix, and I rode it to the dealer, and they fixed it pronto. On my way!! Now if Victory can provide a dealer network close to H-D's then it would be a real choice.

Thorns

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree

Thorns said:
I've owned other bikes, but the one thing keeps me coming back to H-D is the dealer network.
I bought my Victory Touring Cruiser in Oct 03. I now have 28,000 miles on the odometer. The bike has performed great, and I have an outstanding dealer that keeps my bike in top notch condition. Although I ride long distances, I'm always concerned about the possibility of mechanical failure while I'm far from home. I think my next bike will be a HD Touring Class.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Butterbean said:
Local dealer had an "open house" today so I stopped by. Saw they were offering test rides so I took them up on a few. Never rode a Victory before. I am a long-time HD rider. Currently have an '02 FXDXT. I test rode a Victory Vegas and a Vegas Jackpot. These things will blow away HD in stock form. Very strong. That 100ci engine just wants to keep pulling. I didn't really even need 5th & 6th gear except it was nice over 60 mph or so. Very smooth power. Almost no vibration and the mirrors had zero distortion at any speed. Stock exhaust note isn't half bad, either. Has a good rumble. The ergonomics were perfect for me. Handlebars & forward controls were right where I wanted them. I sound like a commercial, but seriously, when the time comes for a new bike I will consider Victory. The only things I did not like: The front brakes are touchy on initial application and the clutch cable/actuator lever at the case looks kind of cheesy (also, the Victory emblem on the sides of the fuel tanks was pulling away on almost every bike. Time for a new adhesive vendor).
I too rode a Victory Vegas Jackpot, and was Impressed. I did not get to ride it very long, because I had my girlfriend on the back, and she was terrified of the acceleration the bike had (stock) and wanted off the bike(no sissy bar) she felt like she would come off the back. I mean she was scared and shaking. She has never been frightened of my bike. It definately pulls harder and builds revs quicker than my Wideglide. I liked it and wanted to go back for a solo ride!!! I remember the pipes were easy to get your pants leg up against while stopped. The pipes need to be tucked in closer and/or better heat shielding. They also need some better optional seats, and a nicer sissy bar. More paint choices to choose from, and more accessories......period. I still wonder why I see Jackpots on Ebay with extremely low mileage on them. Mileage so low I cant see how they could have formed an accurate opinion on the bike, yet they are for sale. I almost think the bike scared the poop out of them!

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Freedom V-Twin is no joke. I am on my third rendition and the damn thing just keeps getting better. My '03 Vegas with it's basic Stage1 92/5 ran great and pulled hard.

When they introduced the Jackpot, I had to have it. With an aftermarket airbox, a good set of pipes, and a fuel control, that 100/6 produced 95hp and 102 ft/lb of torque and laid down low 12-sec 1/4 mile times.

I just picked up my Vision on Thursday and that 106 pulls like a freight train and it's still in it's restrictive and lean stock form. 120mph happens quick! Word is one has already found the track and posted a 13 sec 1/4 mile time. Pretty damn good for an 800+ lb machine in stock config. Can't wait to get this thing breathing right!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I ride with some guys that ride Victorys. Hammer and Kingpin.

They are fast, but not "that fast".
Unfortunately they do not offer what I want. I do not want forward controls and a few other things.

They can get pretty pricey, but so can H-D.

The biggest problem I see is lack of dealer support. To few to far.
That do me is very important.

I do like the 8 Ball

·
Registered
18 Posts
You do "NOT" want forward controls? Assuming this is a type, there are extensions for the forward controls. around $70(2 or 4")
Got to agree on dealer network but they are great machines.

detailer57 said:
I ride with some guys that ride Victorys. Hammer and Kingpin.

They are fast, but not "that fast".
Unfortunately they do not offer what I want. I do not want forward controls and a few other things.

They can get pretty pricey, but so can H-D.

The biggest problem I see is lack of dealer support. To few to far.
That do me is very important.

I do like the 8 Ball

·
Banned
9 Posts
Thorns said:
Thanks for the review. I've owned other bikes, but the one thing keeps me coming back to H-D is the dealer network. When I travel, it doesn't matter where I go, there's a H-D dealer close. A broken clutch cable was an easy fix, and I rode it to the dealer, and they fixed it pronto. On my way!! Now if Victory can provide a dealer network close to H-D's then it would be a real choice.

Thorns
Why are you HD' riders so hung up about a huge dealer network other than your bikes are braking down all the time and you need a repair shop on every corner.

A good bike won't be breaking down and needing service all the time.

Victory has over 350 dealers in the US. Triumph has 173 and BMW only 141

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
:whatever: Ok...I like the motorclothes' girls, free hot dogs and sodas. You're right, a good motorcycle isn't suppose to break down...neither is the space shuttle. I suppose you have a Victory with a 100k miles on it? I can't tell you where one Victory dealer is located. I hope Victory builds a great motorcycle someday, and my choice will not be decided within 2 seconds. Until then I will keep riding this poor ol' Road King. Did you see the ta ta's on the motorclothes girl...she looks smokin' in those jeans too. :thanks:

Thorns

·
Registered
133 Posts
When I bought my '07 Ultra I was looking for a touring bike, not an image to indenify with. I could care less about the motorclothes girls, but I am a fat old man so my hope of finding something there is long gone. I have owned a lot of different bikes and think in many ways as a touring platform the Electra Gides have a lot to offer, but I have to say it is the BS badboy image that kept me away from HD for so many years, I think it is childish. I did not have to look or dress a certain way when riding my old shovelheads. I have almost 28k on my 07 Ultra and would consider buying a Victory if I could be assured they address the heat and vibration issues on the Vision. See-motorcycling is something I do-not who I am. Of course I like to ride alone most of the time--clear out the head and all. I wonder how many victory owners are worried about the runout on their cranks or the flywheels walking. It is little comfort to me that if my engine implodes from trying to get it to match the numbers that the victory riders are getting I have the opportunity to have motorclothers girls soothe my tortured soul.

Sorry-rant over--where are my meds

·
Registered
368 Posts
I ride with a Victory rider. I've been to many Victory events. They are nice bikes that have some corny looking parts. The plastic turn signal stems are just one issue that makes me wonder "what are they thinking?" However the biggest concern I would have in buying one is the really poor resale value that seems to be the norm.:thumbsdn: :thumbsdn:

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,630 Posts
I was looking forward to their Vision until I saw it.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts

i rode vegas for about two hours thru the twisties in Northern Cal...it did have some pull, and very smooth shifting...great brakes....but i was glad to get back on my road king...a much better handling scoot...

plus again when i buy i always have resale in the back of my mind,just in case i have to sell fast......if you buy a vic, be prepared to own IT for a long time, unless you are prepared to let it go for 50 cents on the dlr a year later...

SESENTA OCHO...

·
Free agent
795 Posts
:whatever: Ok...I like the motorclothes' girls, free hot dogs and sodas. You're right, a good motorcycle isn't suppose to break down...neither is the space shuttle. I suppose you have a Victory with a 100k miles on it? I can't tell you where one Victory dealer is located. I hope Victory builds a great motorcycle someday, and my choice will not be decided within 2 seconds. Until then I will keep riding this poor ol' Road King. Did you see the ta ta's on the motorclothes girl...she looks smokin' in those jeans too. :thanks:

Thorns
@gree:

There is just something about the entire ownership experience. From the motorcloths girls to bitchin' about the service departments...it's all good. I have a friend that has a Yamaha Road Star. Nice bike...but the one thing that I noticed is that parts are rarely in stock and must be ordered along with a wait of 3-5 days. You go to a Harley shop and 9 out of 10 times, they will have the part in stock. They don't mind giving you a hand with some free information at a Harley shop...where at a Yamaha dealer service dept., the advisors and counter help know nothing about the service end of a product. My bike has had a one real repair...the valve seals..and I caught that under warranty. Everything else at 39,500 miles has been maintainance. Besides all this...I really don't enjoy the lines of the bike or the paint schemes of the Victory line-up. Especially the one touring bike that looks like a Jetsons mobile. I'll stick with HD! Too many items available for the bike to make it faster...shinier...and more appealing. I like accessorizing my bike, truck and home. What fun would it be if it just sat out there in the garage looking bland and ready to ride. I enjoy the challenge! Some of us are forever lazy I guess!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts