V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting do an engine build (95in, gear cams, heads ported, etc.) so i've been researching this site and talking to local builders. I swear i'm now more confused then when i started.

Went to this local Indy shop this morning and was talking to the guy about what i wanted to do and mentioned Andrews cams. Well, he spent the next 10 minutes telling how he wouldn't install Andrews because they were crap. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about and i'm not smart enough on the subject to argue. I told him i was looking at having my cylinders bored rather than buying new ones. He recommended not doing that either because the wall would be too thin after the bore. He even showed me in the S&S book where they advise against doing that. Of course they want you to buy their cylinders.

He gave me a price of $3000, which included an S&S build kit (gear cams, new cylinders, heads, pistions, etc.) and labor.

It's nice to have a lot of choices but damn....everybody seems to be an expert except me and they all have different opinions about which way to go.

:confused:

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Sounds like you need a new Indy!. He seems to have only been looking for your money. When you find the right guy, he'll talk to you about how you ride, and then base the build on that.

As to - "too thin walls" - they're only too thin if every HD 95 has too thin walls! Boring your 88s is one of the best ways to go bigger, since you'll be working with seasoned jugs.

Good luck with the build.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I had mine bored with no problems as have thousands of others but if I were thinking about buying jugs I get the 98" from Steve. As far as cams if I'm not mistaken Andrews makes the cams for S&S as well as the gear drives. If this is true and you go with the S&S kit you'd still be getting Andrews cams thru a third party. I'd look for another Indy.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I just kept talking to different indys til I found one who would build it the way I wanted. Most of them think you know nothing and they know everything, they only want will put the most $$ in there pockets. I put most of em right up there (or down there if you will) with attorneys and real estate agents. way below sewer pond scum!
Keep searching til you find one who will talk to you and and mostly LISTEN to what you want and won't treat you like your stupid.....

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
marvin4239 said:
I'd look for another Indy.
Yes, the search continues for the right shop. I wish i could do all the work myself but i can't. Figured i might as well let one person do the entire job rather then trying to "piece meal" it together.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
GPO03FatBoy said:
Sounds like you need a new Indy!. He seems to have only been looking for your money. When you find the right guy, he'll talk to you about how you ride, and then base the build on that.

As to - "too thin walls" - they're only too thin if every HD 95 has too thin walls! Boring your 88s is one of the best ways to go bigger, since you'll be working with seasoned jugs.

Good luck with the build.

Good advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts