V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gave my bike it's second good cleaning yesterday. I have around 1000 miles in my first 8 weeks of owning my 2002 FLHRCI. But, now I'm concerned. I removed the saddle bags to get to the rear wheels, pipes, etc. better and noticed tiny splatters of something black on the top of the left pipe mostly. Very little on the right pipe. Actually I saw this the first time I washed the bike, too. At that time I thought maybe it was residue thrown off from the drive belt. I can't scrub it of with a sponge. And, I've not tired anything more aggressive than that for fear of scratching the chrome.

But, as I was looking at it yesterday, I began to think it really looked like overspray of black paint. As I looked closer, I noticed that both pipes were dented in the inside right where the rear axle nuts are located. I have not dropped the bike.

So, now I'm wondering if maybe I bought a repaired "new" bike. The bike was sold to me by a dealer in Dallas as a new 2002 showing 15 miles on the odometer. It had been titled in the sales managers name.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
New would have a certificate of origin, why would he title it for 15 miles ? Just my .02 but I would check into it a little more if you can.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
The dents are not dents, they are made that way. It is possible that the bike was intended to be a rental or Demo. If the stuff was from the drive belt it would not likely be on the right muffler. I take it you are running the stock mufflers? If it was me I'd scrub the crap off. Don't worry about the chrome umless you intend to use a chissle. LOL!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

The Black stuff 'could' be some Road Tar thrown up.
Happens me all the time.
A very sharp razor blade and scrape it off, NOT side to side like you're slashing at it but UP an Down like you're shaving it off, 'GENTLY' ;)

HearHere

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
As mentioned, if the mufflers are stock, the dents are too. They allow the axle to miss the mufflers on hard bumps. Any auto parts store will sell stuff to remove road tar, which is probably what you have. A good chrome polish will also take it off.

Regardless of the mileage, sounds like you bought a used bike. In most states I've lived in, once the vehicle is registered in someone's name, it is not considered new anymore. Not that it makes much difference.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Try GENTLY rubbing the spots off with 0000 grade steel wool.
That should do it without scratching the chrome.

RR

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
The black spots are from your new belt. The belt is settling in and will throw little pieces onto your hot pipes which will burn quite nicely into your pipes and muffs. You will need something much stronger than a sponge or rag to get it off. Chrome cleaner or something similar will take it off. Might have to do it a few times depending on your belt.
Happy cleaning.
Brian :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. Nothing better than standing back to look at a shiny bike. Time to start rubbing those pipes.

·
Registered
903 Posts
My bike was brand new too but they put 15 "test miles" on it before I picked it up.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
But yours wasn't previously titled, I'm not saying they did anything wrong but new bikes come with a certificate of origin. I would want to know what happened.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I cannot address the dent and paint issue, but I can tell you what happened with the title and the certificate of origin. HD dealers work on a quota system. You said you had this bike for 8 weeks, putting the purchase around September 10th. Right? The 2003 bikes were out on July 31st. Any dealer that had an 02 "new" bike on the floor as of that date would have been penalized in the 03 allocations by one bike. Dealers that jack prices above MSRP and always have bikes on the floor often get caught with leftovers at the end of the year. To cure that problem, they will title the bike in the sales manager's name, the dealer's personal name, the secretary's name etc-you get the picture? Its still new in the sense that it hasn't been sold to a customer, but its not being sold directly to you from the dealer. Its a widely practiced thing, but I don't think much of it. Every new bike I got, I was given a copy of the C/O to go with the bike, showing that I was the FIRST owner. You can't say that with yours.

Shooter

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shooter,
You've nailed it. That is exactly what the sales manager explained to me after I had signed most of the papers. At the time I was excited about my purchase. Now, I'm probably a little irritated. All in all I've still got a great ride. I'll try to focus more on that.
Thanks.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Guys it don't matter. The bike is new. More importantly, THE BIKE IS YOURS.

Think of it kind a like yer wife. Even if she had been previously ridden and previously titled she was still a virgin just like she told y............:eek:

DAMN! :eek:

Yea'd be pissed too!

Hey on another note.....

http://www.neurotoxin.net/~jsbehr/WAVS_VIDS/Movies/Airplane/GLADIATR.WAV

LOL WGAF?

·
Banned
999 Posts
technically, the 01 I bought this june was titled as new even though it had 21,000 miles. Dealer owned it, rented it to HOG flyandride program. even got new bike warranty. Guess it works both ways.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I think you got a new bike. 15 miles don't matter, and it sounds like the dealer actually told you the truth anyway. Can't think of any reason why you should worry AT ALL now.

greg

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
JimmyK said:
Think of it kind a like yer wife. Even if she had been previously ridden and previously titled she was still a virgin just like she told y............:eek:

Holy crap Jimmy !!!!!!! My wife was previously ridden !!!!:eek: And
I'm just finding out now ............ Boy I'll tell ya ......... too bad it's snowing or i'd go for a ride.
That's what I'd advise the original poster to do also. Sure it's irritating, BUT it's *new*.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
JimmyK said:

:mad: I gonna kick the dog's a$$ right now
..........be right back

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not THIS Dog!!

hogg831 said:

:mad: I gonna kick the dog's a$$ right now
..........be right back
......Just watch which DOG's ass ya' kick....I'm NOT the guilty party....I'm a laid-back/beer guzzlin'/pot smokin' DOG!!

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Re: Not THIS Dog!!

Dogmeat said:

......Just watch which DOG's ass ya' kick....I'm NOT the guilty party....I'm a laid-back/beer guzzlin'/pot smokin' DOG!!
...........OK I'm back, damn dog didn't 'preciate the a$$ kickin'

1 - 20 of 21 Posts