V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok not completely but for 2 days this week I will be. The first leg (585m) of my 4300 mile road trip it's gonna be 53 degrees for a high. I'm gonna roll out of town without leathers or any real jacket/pant combo. I'm going for layers. Everyone at work is telling me to buy a riding get up. I say screw that! A few quality layers is more my style. I won't freeze to death.

My only compromise is wearing the full face and packing the half lid for the first part of my journey. I'm getting anxios!

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Geno...if you get "cold soaked" you will be wishing for more protection. I'm like you...I like layers, but not too many, and a good leather jacket (and good gloves)...and a neck/face warmer. I've never worn chaps...but have used thermal long johns, top and bottom. Seems to be okay for most of the winter weather here.....in PENSACOLA. I have to be honest, the coldest weather I have ever ridden in was about 35 degrees....and have never ridden on ice or snow. Sorry...:wacko:

My advice is to go ahead and put a good "suit" in the bags. You may not use it. On the other hand, you may pull over to warm up, get something to eat, and climb into that thing and be a much happier camper.

P.S. I envy you and your long haul.....watch yourself out there.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
traveling at 65mph at 50 degrees gives a wind chill factor of about 25 degrees. Any areas of your body exposed to wind, either directly or indirectly (like a wind permeating your jeans) will eventually give you a good chill. Also, riding in sunlight vs. a cloudy day/night will make a big difference. Personally, I find that when I get too cold I start to lose motor skills and can't focus on all the things needed to safely ride my MC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Leather up!

I ride year round here in Maryland. I will ride as low as 35f as long as there is no threat of ice. I usually wear full leather up to 50f. Temps above that depend on sun or clouds, dampness of the air and ride distance.

I also layer up and can always strip off what I dont need and stow it in the saddle bags of my Road King. I always carry rain gear and it is large enough to fit over my chaps and jacket.

I got caught riding in the snow one afternoon after Christmas shopping a couple of years ago. No fun!

It is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Good luck on your ride and ride safe.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
If you're compromising to save space, you might consider a lightweight shell over the layers. A windbreaker. Makes all the difference. Heat I can handle, but cold doesn't work for me (CA all my life). Either way, get past the first 600 and enjoy the remaining 3600!! What's your route?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You can get 100% nylon or rayon hiking shirts that make great inside layers. I like a short sleeve under a long sleeve shirt. They wick moisture (sweat or rain) away from your skin keeping you warmer and if you get wet you can air dry very quickly at highway speeds. Cotton is comfortable but dries too slowly.

They come in black too.

·
Registered
271 Posts
if you're on the hiway, you can be comfortable in leather,jacket and pants/chaps, even when it's hot
keeps you from getting dehydrated from wind/heat
I think worst riding is when you're cold, or cold and wet:thumbsdn:
kept my leather jacket on all the way from St.
louis to Sturgis, it was 90 out but at 75-80mph, was comfortable

·
Registered
357 Posts
lucky you !!!!

have a safe trip !!

when it's cold out I were chaps and leather jacket
under that are, depending on how cold, a couple of layers

base layer is something that will wick moisture away from your body, then something warm, long underwear - I often wear long johns under my jeans and then chaps over that.
on the top over a turtle neck I'll wear a windproof shirt, light jacket .... I use my bicycling clothes and golf clothes.

They all work well in layers and are great under leather and do a really good job of keeping me warm

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
a rain suit over warm clothing is your best protection if you dont have textile pants and a jacket to wear already (i have started wearing textile pants instead of chaps and they are amazing in cold weather-currently shopping for a textile jacket-i'm sold). a great and easy to pack layer for underneath is fleece pants and shirt/jacket. packs small (makes a great soft backrest in your sissy bar bag) and is light as a feather.

ive ridden over 700 miles in a day (long day) in 50s weather with rain and remained comfortable with light layers under rain gear. a good pair of gauntlet gloves with a lightweight pair of glove liners keeps the digits warm and comfortable also. a thin pair of wool or fleece socks helps with the toes.

dont discount the need for warm/dry clothing ojn a trip. a fun ride can become a miserable one under the wrong conditions. hypothermia sneaks up on unsuspecting people and compromises awareness and reaction time. anyone who has spent an appreciable amount of time in the outdoors will testify to the need for comfortable and warm clothing.

i grew up in new york and it wasnt uncommon for me to ride in weather in the 30s and 40s. dressed right it wasnt even that noticeable. all my riding was with a half helmet and face mask. it was cool at times but seldom uncomfortable. a short ride in the cold is one thing. a long trip in the cold is something altogether different. be well prepared.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I have riddin in 32* weather. Fleese lined light hooded jacket under my heavy leather jacket. Good gloves and no chaps. Only had a half helmet as it's all I own. No ice on the road. I was OK. A little cold but not that bad. I was not planning to ride in such cold weather. But I was prepared for what I thought was going to be 50* weather.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts