V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully, a sponsor might also read this and add his 2 cents. I live in BC, Canada but buy most of my parts in, or from, the US. I pay to have an address at a legit business 3 blocks across the border in Wa. state. When I tried to buy a part from an outfit in Ohio, I received a message from their rep stating that his credit card-approving company would NOT accept the deal because the card-owner's address (mine) was outside the US. His exact words were "we have gys (sic) form up there that try evey way possible to buy stuff that is NOT LEGAL and we do not want our name on anything that is used in the wrong way or gotten through NON-Legal export or channels" I CAN buy the same parts in Canada (at twice the price). He was sort of upset in his response and I got the impression he thought I was trying some skullduggery. BTW, I stop at customs/ immigration on my return and pay the appropriate duties/taxes. I was recommended the business that affords me an American address by a buddy whose son races motocross and he often buys parts for their bikes in this manner. Anyone have factual input about buying cross-border?

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
The problem is credit card theft. Some thief steals a credit card number, then orders stuff on the net and has it dropped shipped to a location where he can pick it up. The owner of the card gets the bill and disputes the charges with his credit card company, then the credit card company does a charge-back on the seller. The seller loses out because he shipped the parts and now he doesn't get any money. Plus, charge-backs count against a seller with the credit card companies - too many charge-backs and you lose your ability to accept credit cards.

Don't be annoyed at the shop for refusing your request. It might not make you feel any better, but they are actually helping to fight against credit card crimes. Most places will now only ship to confirmed address that the card is billed to.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, but there are lots of ways to verify the person ordering the stuff on the card is in fact the owner. When I order stuff to a dealer in the US (I do this every trip south because I want to max out my duty-free limit of $750 Cdn for 7 days out of country) I just show up at the dealer and sign the credit card invoice. The rep from this online company never stated it was due to a credit card verification issue. He suggested the parts would be 'illegal' in Canada.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Seems to me you bought an address in the States to allow you to buy parts cheaper. I don't have a problem with that, hell I bend the laws from time to time myself. Trouble is your credit card company busted you. If you were paying the import fees anyway, why don't you just have them mailed directly to you instead of taking the chance that their next letter will be to Customs. If you keep buying in the US, pay cash.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
JamieWG is correct. The issue really is that you were using a credit card and asking for shipment to other than the address to which the card is billed. I recently bought a Lincoln welder in US here and the sellers were very careful to verify my address as the same on the credit card. They told me that they would only ship to the address where billed. They also wanted the three digit number on the back of the card to verify that I actually had the card in my possession.

I can't think of any parts that would be illegal for you to buy in any case. Sounds like the seller has difficulty communicating.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In no way is this 'bending' the law. This is only about saving money, in some cases, LOTS of money (read taxes!!!). If the part is delivered to my door, I have to pay brokerage fees, and more. If the part is delivered to this legit business in Wa. I can pick the stuff up on my return to Can. The duty-free/tax charges vary depending on the length of stay out of country AND the nature of the item (if you want to get REALLY confused and see big gov't in action, just ask for the NAFTA rules and regs). I did supply the verification numbers on my card so I guess it's just the matter of different billing and shipping addy's and not what the rep online stated......thanks for your input

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
elcanaco said:
In no way is this 'bending' the law. This is only about saving money, in some cases, LOTS of money (read taxes!!!). If the part is delivered to my door, I have to pay brokerage fees, and more. If the part is delivered to this legit business in Wa. I can pick the stuff up on my return to Can. The duty-free/tax charges vary depending on the length of stay out of country AND the nature of the item (if you want to get REALLY confused and see big gov't in action, just ask for the NAFTA rules and regs). I did supply the verification numbers on my card so I guess it's just the matter of different billing and shipping addy's and not what the rep online stated......thanks for your input

true, we cross the border and buy HD parts ..bring em back pay the duty when applicable and it is still cheaper then what the local stealer up here plus HD's Canadian importer Deeley in BC tacks on..

·
Registered
935 Posts
Maybe the dealer was being straight with him. There are many products that are labeled as "not for export" for various reasons. They develop different versions to target a country, legal restrictions on software and technology, patents that prevent them from doing business or that require them to pay additional royalty fees when selling in certain countries.

If you want work around the restriction even more, as you already have a mailing address in the US... apply for a US-based credit card and use that address. You may have to open a bank account in a US bank first.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I should have said early on that it is a part (air cleaner) that IS sold in Canada (at twice the price) and not a race part or anything like that. I sent an email to the online company offering to send a US$ money order in full if he can ship it to the US addy.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Silly question, but why can't you use your U.S. address as your "bill to" address? Or - just send the companies a money order. Dunno, just seems like there are easy ways around this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not a silly question!!! I sent the supplier an email offering them a money order and was waiting for a reply. In the meantime, I called my buddy who uses this system to get his son's MX parts and found out that all I had to do was ADD the US address to my VISA account. I just got off the phone to VISA head office and the girl there said 'No problem' and added the US address. I've sent another email to the Ohio company explaining it and asking to put an order through again on their website. Crikey, what a convoluted method of resolving this (I hope) but thanks for all the replies! #@SasF#

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Glad it was resolved. If you still have a problem PM me the card number and billing address. I'll take care of it for ya. Don't forget to include the number on the back.;)

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
^rolleyez^ :duh?:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts