V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I haven't changed, but I talked to someone who did on an 883. He reports a much smmother idle, and claimes less vibes at cruising. However, he has a 29 tooth primary. No reported increase in power. All of this is seat of the pants.

Big Ben

·
Known Associate
175 Posts
Changed my ride to Crane Single-Fire. Engine runs a little smoother. Being old school, I don't like the idea of firing the cyl. on every stroke. Seems likes it's working against itself. Not cheap, but worth the peace of mind, to me....

·
Registered
701 Posts
The cost will probably run you around $500 depending on what system you go with. I've heard the same with the smoother idle and stuff. It should also bump the hp up a lil bit too. Not sure by how much though. If you want to know what a single fire system feels like, find a dealer that has a 1996 or newer 1200 Sport. They have the single fire ignition system.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Demon1200 said:
Has anyone changed to the single fire ? What did it cost ? is it worth it?and so on.
Yes it might make a differance on Idle....big deal!!! The main thing a single fire ignition does is, it lets the coil saturate better for higher rpm running without so many miss fires. It will let the bike pull a little better but its for higher rpms than anything else. Is it worth the money for a street bike or a mild build....NO! The only reason Harley has the single fire ignition on their big twins is because of the fuel injection models require it for setting each cylinder seperately......since they had to do that, to save money and not have to make two ignition systems they carried it over to the carbed big twins. We use it on the drag bikes because we are reving to 7200 rpms. any thing over 5200 rpms the single fire is a plus.....below that your waisting your money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts