V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. Here it is. Dealer quoted me for a big bore awhile back. I've already had the cams changed (Andrews 37s) and now am about ready to have jugs and heads done (will have headwork done), stock carb with S/E air cleaner kit, V&H slip ons (I know they probably hold me back some). Do I need the ignition module they recommended (31793-04a) or am I better going with coil and module change. I also see a SERT for carb models in the S/E catalog...I thought the SERT was only for injected bikes...feedback appreciated and parts numbers welcome (LOL)..Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
You shouldn't need to change coils. Stock one is fine. I'd suggest getting an ignition module that is adjustable as far as timing and spark advance if you're going to get one. The one they are recommending is a 10 degree retard but not adjustable.

What kind of compression are you going to run?? 10 degree retard might be a bit too much. I know lots of guys with mild headwork, 37G cams, 95" BB, 9.7-9.8 compression, that are running stock ignition module.

31793-04A would be a good approach but it's costly.

One of the experts here can probably provide you some more info and better than I can. Some of the dealers don't do a very good job in matching parts up, ie, cams, heads, ignitions, etc. I'd also suggest you post in depth details here first and get some opinions first.

Who's the dealer in Mississippi you're dealing with???

·
Registered
487 Posts
my preference would be the sert for any late carb bike you can tune the module you have

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys..The dealer I am dealing with is in Baton Rouge, LA which is about 90 miles from here. I am not as happy with them as I would like but don't know of a private builder at this time that's good..and close. Know anyone closer that is really good??? Compression should be around 9.8 when finished..

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Guy by the name of Coyote in Baker, I believe. He's got a custom shop and stays busy. Don't remember the name of the shop though. Ask around, someone will know as he's been at it for a long time. He also used to be associated with Hiwiatha racing (not sure of that spelling).

Where are you in MS?

Baton Rouge has got some outstanding tech's but some of the service dept counter personnel leave a lot to be desired.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts