V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
18,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed a Dyna 2ki ignition on my S&S 107 when I put it in my FXR. Ran great. Rode to my indie's Friday morning to show him my project. When I got home, I pulled the cover and upped the rev limiter to 6500 and bumped the timing to the highest advance. Fired it up (engine still warm) to make sure it would start and all was fine. So I starting prepping for company coming for the weekend.

Saturday morning, I go out to fire it up and all I get is spinning over. I figured it was a timing issue, so I pulled the cover and set it to the original setting. Still no go. I contributed it to being flooded and went back to the visitors. Tried a couple times all day with the same results.

Yesterday I pulled the plugs and they had gas smell. Cleaned and was fixing to reinstall when I figured I'd check for spark. That's when I found I have none.

The Dyna module LED flashes once when you turn on the ignition. It flashes pulses when you crank the motor. I have 12.4 vdc at the coil (battery's a little low from cranking). I get pulses at the coil from the module, but my digital meter can measure the voltage.

I checked resistance on the coil. 2.4-2.5 on the primary. 10.8k on the secondary. Kind of low, so I went to my indie and picked up a spare used one he had. It had 2.3-2.4 on the primary and 10.6k on the secondary. Needless to say, still no spark.

The plug wires had 5.0k on the front and 5.5k on the rear. So they're good.

So is there another test I can do, or do I just need to order another coil?

Sent from my 2 Tin Cans With A String using Tapatalk

· Registered
18,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nobody has a spare module.

· Registered
18,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the kind of info I was looking for. The unit had passed the self test previously.

I did your test of the ground and got a spark.

Thanks, Therm.

· Registered
18,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Weird. After doing the ground test. On the coil, I decided to check continuity from the pulse wire to the module. Spun the motor until I got the fire signal. Measured around 5 meg ohms. I had contacted Ultima early for reading but all they sent was the installation manual I already have.

So for grins, I put it all back together. Low and behold I have spark!

I've pulled the pulse wire 10 times today with no effect until I put the meter on it the last time, so I'm thinking it may be the wire connection. Just got back from eating Japanese for my son's birthday, but I'll check it tomorrow.

· Registered
18,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, mine is the Ultima version. Same thing with a different label.
Mine's the Ultima. Just got the carb back on. Will redo the connector on the wire now.

· Registered
122 Posts
Unless they've changed them the Ultima should be the same ignition as the Dyna. In fact they are/were made by Dyna. Exactly the same with a different label. Has Ultima gotten a new supplier? It does seem odd that merely changing the label could cause them to go belly up so quickly that a shop now has a 5 gallon bucket full of them. I know that it's popular to hate Ultima but seriously...

· Registered
18,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Changed out the connector on the wire. Fired right up. Hope that was my problem and not an intermittent short in the module.

· Super Moderator
23,096 Posts
Unless they've changed them the Ultima should be the same ignition as the Dyna. In fact they are/were made by Dyna. Exactly the same with a different label. Has Ultima gotten a new supplier? It does seem odd that merely changing the label could cause them to go belly up so quickly that a shop now has a 5 gallon bucket full of them. I know that it's popular to hate Ultima but seriously...
According to him, the originals were built by Dyna, to Ultimas specs. They always used different components. But with that said, I never cut one appart.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.