V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 FLHTC with BB, CV40 and Yost Kit, SE flat tops, SE Performance Heads, TC1 cams, VAnce and Hines 2 into 1 Pro Pipe and Big Sucker air cleaner. It has the stock ignition. I had it dynoed and was not really thrilled with the results. Nice curves, the AFR was a little lean, 95 Torque and 79.5 HP. CV had a 190 main and 48 low but I changed out the main to a 195 today and it seemed to help. My AFR can more than likely be tuned up a bit by dropping the clip on the needle one notch. My question after all that is: How much would a good selectable or programmable ignition help out? This build should realistically have had a few more foot lbs. of torque and about 10 more HP based on basically the same or similar builds. I have only had one performance ignition in my life and that was a Crane HI 4. I never did get anything much from it but that may have been from my lack of knowledge and no dyno to help out. Thank you for any input.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
I've got a DTT (Daytona Twin Tech) module, I've only got cams in right now and it's a big help including the ability to up the rpm's...when I finish this build I'll be able to tune it to suit my needs...

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Grumpster said:
I have a 2005 FLHTC with BB, CV40 and Yost Kit, SE flat tops, SE Performance Heads, TC1 cams, VAnce and Hines 2 into 1 Pro Pipe and Big Sucker air cleaner. It has the stock ignition. I had it dynoed and was not really thrilled with the results. Nice curves, the AFR was a little lean, 95 Torque and 79.5 HP. CV had a 190 main and 48 low but I changed out the main to a 195 today and it seemed to help. My AFR can more than likely be tuned up a bit by dropping the clip on the needle one notch. My question after all that is: How much would a good selectable or programmable ignition help out? This build should realistically have had a few more foot lbs. of torque and about 10 more HP based on basically the same or similar builds. I have only had one performance ignition in my life and that was a Crane HI 4. I never did get anything much from it but that may have been from my lack of knowledge and no dyno to help out. Thank you for any input.
Your set up should be close to 10:1 comp, which is too high for a stock module, too much advance. I am surprised that you don't experience pinging under certain loads/temps. SE makes an adjustable ignition for 04 and later bikes, therea are good deals on it from Zanotti or other Internet HD parts dealers. You should get the bike in the hands of an experienced Dyno tuner to unleash the HP/TQ you paid for. I don't know the TC1 cam, but you are out at least 10HP.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at a thread on another board that was pretty impressive. Basically a stock build with pipes and an air box. He used the DTT and got 3 HP and 2 torque. That in it self leads me to believe that on a more advanced build it could even make more of a difference. Anyone had similar results? I know that most of the time several things are installed all at one time and you really can't tell what did what. On my mild build I installed everything one at a time and I can tell you what each part did or did not do. Not because I had to but because I wanted to out of curiousity for once instead of a package.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Grumpster said:
It is huge in your case with all of those mods. I have had the Crane Hi-4 and the DTT (which is on my ride now) and the difference is massive in getting a carbureted bike with lots of mods tuned right. You will go up a LOT in TQ and HP. Your numbers seem depressed to me for that build. My opinion is (after you have spent all of that money getting it to where it is now) to get a DTT and get it to a dyno tuner asap.

Cheers.:cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts