V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike is a buddy's 96 Fat Boy, 1340 EVO.

Old ignition module Pn is: 32449-95A, (Proprietary "P-curve" module"), "... for which no advance curve spec. info. is available from HD..."

Replaced it with the SE supplement catalog PN: 32421-94, which is the 8000 rpm "Race" version. Kip Woodring and Kenna Love's "101 HD Performance Projects" lists a 32420-94, which they say is a "K curve" module.

Hooked the new module up, motor fires right up, sounds crisp. Its been sitting since mid Oct, (not run).

My 3 questions are....1) What is the difference between the stock module and the new 32421-94, other than the curve and 8,000 rev limit? 2) What is the difference between the 32420-94 "K curve" module and the SE 3242194 that I installed that I can't find any info. on? 3) We have the "new SE" performance coil but haven't installed it yet. Will this make a difference in how it runs?

Most importantly.....

My buddy swears the motor has a "whirring" sound to it that it never had before we changed the ignition module... Possible? Sounds like it's coming from the top end/rocker boxes...Oil press was 30+ at start up.

Help....I'm dying from peripherial paranoia, if you know what I mean....

Thanks,
DLR

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody able to answer this riddle? Checked the local HD stealership today and was amazed at their lack of knowledge of the products they sell. They're only as good as the book that they order from...
Thanx..
DLR

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Todd,
Thanks for your "HO" but the money is spent and I'm in the midst of the "unknown" and need some help. Personally, (If you read the specs on my own personal '02 S-tail), the Harley SE Ignition when coupled with other complementry upgrades, can be very effective. I noticed a significant performance improvement over my stock module...Thanks for your opinion just the same....

·
Banned
871 Posts
DLRVelocity1 said:
Todd,
Thanks for your "HO" but the money is spent and I'm in the midst of the "unknown" and need some help. Personally, (If you read the specs on my own personal '02 S-tail), the Harley SE Ignition when coupled with other complementry upgrades, can be very effective. I noticed a significant performance improvement over my stock module...Thanks for your opinion just the same....
Yeah, just about anything is an improvement over the stock system. I used an SE ignition module for a while and it worked ok, but the Dyna 2000i was a major improvement, especially the flexibility in designing your own advance curve. Well, it's something to keep in mind for the future, anyway. :)

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
We had the "whirring" in the Evo just before the cam bearing went south and still had some when it was replaced. When the ignition was changed you also changed the loads on the ENGINE.
{H-D changes the Part # for a new part and the Dash # for updated connectors.}
For the ignition questions,
1} The difference may be a broke ENGINE at 8000 RPM. From the book, the -94 looks to be the upgraded -85A {new connectors}, "F" curve.
2} It appears the "K" curves are for Sportsters
3} The coil won't make a big difference -2$en#e-

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 421-94 module was a direct plug in for the old module, (85A). No adapter needed. Understand the different loading with the new module advance curve, etc. I've already explained the consequences of over revving the motor. The noise that drove the "paranoia" sounds like it's coming from the rocker shaft assys. as it is the same from the tops of both rocker boxes using a stethescope. Normal operational noise. Motor has only 5k original on it and it's ridden by a good friend who never revs. it over 4,000 on his way to and from church on Sunday mornings....LOL!!

Think the problem is solved. Interesting the difference in the curves. Shold make a performance difference that can be felt if nothing else.
Thanks,
DLR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts