V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new 2002 FLHTCI today; rode it home after the dealer walk-thru. Parked it in my garage and went over a few features so I would be more familiar with my new bike as I have never owned an H-D.

Locked the fork-lock and have since unlocked it but cannot go to 'ignition' or 'accessory' position. Have looked in the owners manual but there is no explaination and the decription and image applies to a Road King.

What did I do and how do I resolve this?

Thanks in advance...

Richard

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If it is unlocked and will not turn it's torque locked.

Apply some force the bars turning them even more to the left and turn the ignition switch at the same time.

No biggie, it happens depending on how the bike happens to be parked.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ignition locked, continued...

Have tried all suggestions and I still cannot turn ignition to 'ignition' or 'accessory'.

I am able to lock and unlock the fork and am able to turn the handlebars after unlocking the fork; I just cannot start the bike as the switch will not turn past the center position.

Richard

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got the bike yesterday; has all of 35 miles on it. Can't wait to tell my wife how the $22k I spent yesterday will be sitting in the garage today!

I did use a few choice words on it, but no secret words. Guess I would have had to pay even more over MSRP for dealer to tell me the password upfront...

Richard

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Well, if it locks and unlocks and turns from locked to off, then the switch itself $hit the bed, unless you came up with a new one.
The only way you or they will get it off is to turn it to accessory to remove the knob, unless you can look in there with a little flashlight and see the release tab and lift it with a dental pick while turning counter clockwise, but it's almost impossible to do unless it's in accessory.
If it was mine I would whack it pretty good on top with a rubber mallet and see if it starts to turn, but being that new a bike you might just want to let them pick it up so they can't shift blame on you.

If you really had to they twist off with waterpump pliers but then you need a new switch and lock assembly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ignition locked, continued...

Finally got the ignition switch to turn to 'on' position. Switch turns on and off just fine if I don't use the fork lock. Once I use the fork lock and then unlock it, the switch does not readily turn to 'on'. I had to finesse the switch and now will not use the fork lock until after it's looked at after the first service.

Thanks for the responses!
Richard

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking more on the lines of 'quality control'.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts